Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,942 members, 7,952,789 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:56 AM

Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings (11917 Views)

A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings / Car Sounds / Very Stupid & Weird Car Accident Compilations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:51am On May 16, 2013
Nothing is worse than being next to a screeching car in traffic than being the screeching car!  Clinking, clunking, screeching, and squealing are all cries for help and mean our vehicles need special attention.  Here’s a quick guide to the sounds your car might be making and what they mean

clunk! When braking

Clunking noises when you’re breaking can mean one of three things:
. A Your steering system components are worn.
 B.  Your Disc Caliper is not properly mounted.
 C.  Brake hardware is damaged or missing.  None of these are great option, but the sooner you take your vehicle into your , the less damage will occur.

squeal! When braking

Squealing Brakes are fairly common, but they still need attention to prevent long term damage.  This unpleasant noise is associated with a variety of potential ailments.  You may have dirt on the brake rotors, drums, pads, or shoes.  The Brake pads or shoes may be worn, or have overheated and are now glazed.  (Glazed pads are bad news.  They work less efficiently to slow or stop your vehicle.)  Alternatively, your disc brakes calipers may be mounted incorrectly or the wear indicators are contacting the rotor.  If the squeal is making you squirm (and it should!), stop by your nearest  to get them check out. smiley

grind! When shifting gear

This sound can bring panic to a manual transmission driver.  This sound could simply mean that the clutch or shift linkage needs to be adjusted or have a more pressing meaning like the clutch is worn.   The worst case scenario involves internal damage to the to the transmission.  Any way you grind it, it’s best to head on over to .

pop! From the engine

Your engine mostly likely has a slower response time right as well.  This heart-stopping noise can mean something as simple as a dirty air filter (yes, you really do have to change those) or worn spark plugs.  Worn spark plugs need to be replaced immediately.  They are a simply fix but ignoring them can lead to unspent fuel building up in the exhaust system and catalytic converter.  This can clog your cat and those are not cheap to replace.   The less pleasant origins may be ignition problems, a clogged fuel filter, or the Carburetor may have a bad accelerator pump or power circuit.  The dreaded Pop! should make you listen up.  If you want to keep your car happy and on the road, it’s time to head over .
Being aware of changes in your vehicle’s drive, sound, and even scent can help you intercept minor malfunctions before they turn into wallet busting problems.  Be your own first line of defense by being attentive and aware.  Your vehicle will reward you with the purr of a happy engine and the peace of mind that your vehicle is as happy as you are.

grin

3 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by arcis: 8:16pm On May 16, 2013
Thanks!!!
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Nobody: 11:25am On May 17, 2013
arcis: Thanks!!!

u welcome smiley
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by free2ryhme: 5:06pm On May 17, 2013
and dis made front page

Jisos

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Xaviers(m): 5:08pm On May 17, 2013
grin What about VROOOMM!!! VROOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! .....BoOMMMM!! Gbaaaaaaaa!! Shhhhhhh!!!... Plss whots wrong wit ♍y car?

5 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by naijainfogalery: 5:08pm On May 17, 2013
What About the sound Gbaaaaaa!

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by 50calibre(m): 5:10pm On May 17, 2013
Hmm! A female car enthusiast! That's nice. Who is Going to see fast and furious 6?

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by ZACHIE: 5:12pm On May 17, 2013
when you put your key in the ignition and you turn it and the car does not crank, no sound, what does this mean?
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by realist34: 5:13pm On May 17, 2013
Hmnn. Good one.
Pls what cld be wrong ....whenever I wanna start my engine ,either in the morning or anytime, I hear a 'crak' sound(like metals striking one anoda) from the engine.

Sound's so embarrassing.

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by delors(m): 5:13pm On May 17, 2013
Chei!!! And this made the FP shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked? OMG! Anyway, since na free madness, make I kuku ma join.
Peeem peeem peeem! That's the honking sound of a truck!
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by delors(m): 5:14pm On May 17, 2013
realist34: Hmnn. Good one.
Pls what cld be wrong ....whenever I wanna start my engine ,either in the morning or anytime, I hear a 'crank' sound from the engine. Mercedes 190E.

Sound's so embarrassing.
That's
CRANK! When engine breaks down! grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by nekaa(f): 5:14pm On May 17, 2013
Lol...I only opened this thread to see aw noises could be described in words...

3 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by delors(m): 5:15pm On May 17, 2013
naijainfogalery: What About the sound Gbaaaaaa!
Gbaaaaaaaa! When u jam electric pole! cool cool cool cool

3 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by delors(m): 5:15pm On May 17, 2013
Xavier's:
grin What about VROOOMM!!! VROOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! .....?

VROOOOM! When u use broom sweep your friend's car. grin grin grin grin
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by drzed: 5:18pm On May 17, 2013
So what is the interpretation of this weird car sound:

kikikikikiki-brrrr...kikiki drrrraannn, drrraaaaaannnnn....nnnn grrrr...rrrkikikiki...chikgr.. chikdum.

Na di kyn noise wey my car de make nowadays. Over to you, engineer of car noises grin

2 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:20pm On May 17, 2013
There are sum car wen u start it the car to start to laff u for example *ignition* buheheheheheheheheheheheheehe cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by realist34: 5:21pm On May 17, 2013
drzed: So what is the interpretation of this weird car sound:

kikikikikiki-brrrr...kikiki drrrraannn, drrraaaaaannnnn....nnnn grrrr...rrrkikikiki...chikgr.. chikdum.

Na di kyn noise wey my car de make nowadays. Over to you, engineer of car noises grin

You so sick as ur car dude... sad
drzed: So what is the interpretation of this weird car sound:

You so sick as ur car dude...
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by SLIDEwaxie(m): 5:34pm On May 17, 2013
The poster of this article is as dunce as d sounds! How do i knw a sound without hearing it? I mean, descriptions are the opinion of a writer!
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by barackosama(m): 5:35pm On May 17, 2013
...really?? What about GreammGreammGreammmmmm??
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Afritop(m): 5:41pm On May 17, 2013
What about sounds like kaboom-kaboom-boom-boom-boom-boom-boooooooooooom-boooooooooooooooom!!!
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by pappilo(m): 5:41pm On May 17, 2013
Kakakakakakaka: knocking sound
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Nobody: 5:42pm On May 17, 2013
Xavier's:
grin What about VROOOMM!!! VROOOOM!!!!!!!!!!! .....BoOMMMM!! Gbaaaaaaaa!! Shhhhhhh!!!... Plss whots wrong wit ♍y car?

It's about to be hit by a trailer loaded with bags of cement.

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Sexxymom(f): 5:42pm On May 17, 2013
Xavier's:
u no serious oooo. U got me laughing so hard... Whoever has had a stress full day should click on dis trend...i don laugh so teee forget say i put food for fire........
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by wellmax(m): 5:50pm On May 17, 2013
When your engine makes "kirikata kirikata", then its about to 'port'.

3 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by nuwell(m): 5:58pm On May 17, 2013
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by nuwell(m): 6:04pm On May 17, 2013
OP, I appreciate what you're getting at, jare. Although its unfortunate that a bunch of clowns found the thread first, you post is insightful. Well done.

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:13pm On May 17, 2013
wow this thread is filled with song-brids. grin

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by MistadeRegal(m): 6:14pm On May 17, 2013
If you start your car and it starts laughing as you claim, it means it is already MOCKING YOU! It is telling you, "You hehehe you go hear wihn today as you go push me come back. Hehehe drive now"

2 Likes

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by delors(m): 6:20pm On May 17, 2013
nu-well:
OP, I appreciate what you're getting at, jare. Although its unfortunate that a bunch of clowns found the thread first, you post is insightful. Well done.
Clown. Is that why u posted the same thing twice? You say this is insightful? Abeg no make me laugh. Somebody just wake up and say "when I flush in the toilet, the water makes this sound 'shiiiiiiii' please what is wrong with my toilet or is it my poooh?"...Now thats very very insightful cheesy. clown!

1 Like

Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by obi4eze(m): 6:24pm On May 17, 2013
Mistade Regal: If you start your car and it starts laughing as you claim, it means it is already MOCKING YOU! It is telling you, "You hehehe you go hear wihn today as you go push me come back. Hehehe drive now"

This got me laughing grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Weird Car Sounds And Their Meanings by Kk4(m): 6:34pm On May 17, 2013
Me I Kokoma don't know the difference between these sounds.

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Often Do You Look Under Your Bonnet? / Lagos State Ministry Of Transportation Introduces The Electronic Billing System / 8 Driving Requirements For Tourists And Visitors In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.