Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,440 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:54 PM

Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools (13134 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Lagos Did Not Ban Hijab In Public Schools / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by harthonder(m): 6:41am On May 16, 2013
The attention of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit has been drawn to the purported ban on the use of Hijab in Lagos State public Schools by the state government. The State Commissioner for Education, Mrs Olayinka Oladunjoye, was widely quoted in the media claiming that the decision to ban the use of hijab was a consensus reached at a 'stakeholders' meeting chaired by the Commissioner for Home Affairs and Culture Mr Oyinlomo Danmole.

We want to state unequivocally that the claim of Mrs Oladunjoye was an absolute lie and an attempt to obtruct the course of justice. The commissioner claimed in her statement to the media that the MSSN representatives were at the so called stakeholders' meeting where the decision to ban the hijab was taken. This is ridiculous. How can we be demanding that the right of Muslims to use hijab in schools be given them and at the same time we will consent to a 'consensus' that is anti-thetical to our demand? We were never invited for any meeting at any point in time!

Let us state here that the state government had reneged on its agreement to call us for dialogue since our mass protest of Februarry 28, 2013 to the Governor's Office in Alausa. The state government did not only reneged on all agreements but also ensured through delay tactics that the case is swept under the carpet.

The pronouncement by the commissioner is an after thought and a flagrant disrespect for the rule of law. We have already served the government court notice on the issue and Justice Oyewole of the State High Court had fixed May 27, 2013 for hearing of our suit. So, we wonder why the commissioner, who we believe, knows the position of the law, would come out to make such irresponsible pronouncement. Her action makes us to question her professional integrity as a lawyer!

We therefore advised governor Babatunde Fashola to caution this woman before she destroyed the integrity left in the government.

Such personalities like Mrs Oladunjoye and her co-travellers are not fit for public positionand should henceforth be removed from office.

As we have stated in our previous positions, we will employ all legal and peaceful means to ensure our rights are not denied us. The constitution of Nigeria recognises the right to use hijab in schools and nobody can take it away from us.

We will not relent!

Thanks.

Sulaimon Alamutu
PRO, MSSN Lagos State Area Unit

www.mssnlagos.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=253:press-release-hijab-ban-mrs-oladunjoye-lied&catid=70:press-conference

8 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Jaideyone(m): 7:55am On May 16, 2013
Mtchew... It's time people start practising their religion in school.
Cele people should go to school bare footed.
Traditionalists should go to school with onde, ifunpa, igbadi, opon ifa, afose, etc.
I hope the teacher won't run away if i come to school with a gun. My ancestors were ogun worshipers grin

83 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 8:54am On May 16, 2013
Jaidey-one:
Traditionalists should go to school with onde, ifunpa, igbadi, opon ifa, afose, etc.
I hope the teacher won't run away if i come to school with a gun. My ancestors were ogun worshipers grin

Jolly good show sir...it was very good! LWKMD!!!
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by maclatunji: 2:51pm On May 16, 2013
Muslim students fault commissioner’s statement on Hijab

The Lagos State Area Unit of the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) yesterday denied reaching an agreement with Commissioner for Education, Mrs Olayinka Oladunjoye, on the government’s ban of Hijab (women’s veil) in the state’s public schools.

The Nation yesterday quoted Mrs Oladunjoye as saying that the decision to ban Hijab in Lagos public schools was a consensus reached at what she called a stakeholders’ meeting reportedly chaired by the Commissioner for Home Affairs and Culture, Mr Oyinlomo Danmole.

A statement by the society’s Public Relations officer (PRO), Sulaimon Alamutu, said Mrs Oladunjoye was economical with the truth.

The statement reads: “We want to state unequivocally that the claim of Mrs Oladunjoye was …an attempt to obstruct the course of justice.

“The commissioner claimed in her statement that the MSSN representatives were at the so-called stakeholders’ meeting where the decision to ban Hijab was taken. This is ridiculous. How can we be demanding that the right of Muslims to use Hijab in schools be given them and at the same time consent to a ‘consensus’ that is antithetical to our demand? We were never invited for any meeting at any time!

“Let us state here that the state government has reneged on its agreement to call us for dialogue since our mass protest on February 28, this year, at the Governor’s Office in Alausa. The government did not only renege on all the agreements but also ensured, through delay tactics, that the case is swept under the carpet.

“The pronouncement by the commissioner is an afterthought and a flagrant disrespect for the rule of law. We have already served the government a court notice on the issue and Justice Oyewole of the State High Court has fixed May 27 for hearing. So, we wonder why the commissioner, who we believe knows the position of the law, would come out to make such a pronouncement. We are puzzled by her action.”

MSSN urged Governor Babatunde Fashola to caution Mrs Oladunjoye before she destroys his administration’s reputation.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/news/muslim-students-fault-commissioners-statement-on-hijab/
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by olapluto(m): 2:05pm On May 20, 2013
At least its in a law court now. No more conjectures, let the law speak. I think, hope and pray MSSN wins.

5 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:06pm On May 20, 2013
Nigeria and religion. Yet it doesn't reflect on our society.

6 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by noskeybaba: 2:07pm On May 20, 2013
Why was it banned in the first place? Or is it that ninja stuff they wear?
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by mascot87(m): 2:13pm On May 20, 2013
We don't want unnecessary protest regarding this issue in Lagos,this issue of Hijab is about getting escalated o.Let us try and remain peace and law abiding citizens and allow issues like this to be settled amicable.Eko o ni baje o
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by ITbomb(m): 2:14pm On May 20, 2013
Yea it is starting to make sense, once the Muslims have their way, we will make our own demands for ATR

17 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by TheKingsQueen: 2:14pm On May 20, 2013
Na wa oh! This issue should not be allowed to get out of hand and degenerate into a religious dissaffection. Let the relevant authorities handle this matter early enough. Meanwhile, i think the wearing of hijab in schools should be made optional and voluntary. As in, Muslim students who wish to wear it should be allowed to wear it, while those who do not want to wear it should not be forced to wear it.
Afterall, Catholic Reverend Sisters who are studying in government-owned higher institutions wear their complete habit in schools.
Please, all these issues that could result in inter-religious quarrels should be handled with care and wisdom.

6 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by konn: 2:15pm On May 20, 2013
from what iv read so far hijab was not completely banned. it can be used during prayers and any other religious gatherings in the school so what is all these fuss about banning hijab? this religion of (pieces)should take it easy and not use this as a loophole for chaos

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Zet72(m): 2:16pm On May 20, 2013
Rubbish ...smh

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by dplomaticVal: 2:16pm On May 20, 2013
IF they cnt adapt to it, they cn go elsewhr afteral there r plenty of good schls in d north angry

7 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 20, 2013
Always the same set of intolerant people wishing to impose their culture and religion on an unwillingly majority, but instead of showing respect and tolerance, carry on irrespective with their self destructive habits. Since when did school become a place for the imposition of religious practices.

Can't wait for this ideology to climax and fail .

8 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by lertee(f): 2:19pm On May 20, 2013
they have the right to any mode of dressing since its what the religion preaches...

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 20, 2013
Eh they should wear it to school and get disciplined. Simple! Mtchew
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 20, 2013
lertee: they have the right to any mode of dressing since its what the religion preaches...

Not in the school. Especially not a school that forbids it, they can totally practice it anywhere but the school.
I won't build a school tomorrow and place rules and standards and have anybody break my rules based on religion or anything else, if you can't stick with my rules.
Leave the school!

8 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Kx: 2:22pm On May 20, 2013
Jaidey-one:

It sounds funny but it is true.
I hate to see cele worshippers going to church on sundays bare feet but on weekdays they go about their normal life wearing foot wears.
Are this gods mearnt to be served only on church days?

How about muslims attending muslim schools for full unhindered islamic dressing, teaching and learning?
Must we impose our religious way of life in secular public schools?

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by vedaxcool(m): 2:29pm On May 20, 2013
Why do govt. Official lie or obfuscate the truth?

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by drgenius(m): 2:29pm On May 20, 2013
a schook is a secular place of learning. why do you think amen is not said in the house of assembly. and if the muslims want to wear hijajb they should go to a muslim school
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:30pm On May 20, 2013
please which section of the constitution approves the wearing of masquerade to school?

imagine if everybody including olumba,cele,ogboni,amok,eckanker,etc wears their religious attire to schools. just imagine
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by dridowu: 2:31pm On May 20, 2013
Our forefahters lives peacefully practising their religion traditionally. Oyinbo pple came in with their believe, we accept them with open arm yet we do it wrongly.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Xpset: 2:31pm On May 20, 2013
Amaaskia:

Not in the school. Especially not a school that forbids it, they can totally practice it anywhere but the school.
I won't build a school tomorrow and place rules and standards and have anybody break my rules based on religion or anything else, if you can't stick with my rules.
Leave the school!

Opari

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by vedaxcool(m): 2:32pm On May 20, 2013
Why do govt. Officials lie or obfuscate the truth?
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by kufreabasi(m): 2:33pm On May 20, 2013
Jaidey-one:

OMG!!!
This is really good indeed
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by DJDOLA(m): 2:35pm On May 20, 2013
Well I see nothing wrong in wearing hijab
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by kuss: 2:36pm On May 20, 2013
WATCHING MSN PROTEST AGAINST HIJAB AT ALAUSA THE OTHER DAY SHOW THAT THERE ARE BOKO ARAM IN THE SOUTH JUST THAT NOBODY HAS THE GUT YET TO LEAD THEM
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by dammytosh: 2:37pm On May 20, 2013
DJDOLA: Well I see nothing wrong in wearing hijab

I hope you honestly see nothing wrong in Students coming to School in Fadeyi Oloro's costume. If you do , then you are a religious bigot. angry

Jaidey-one:

At least somebody is thinking.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by julioralph(m): 2:37pm On May 20, 2013
Hijab should @ most be optional.
In these days of Boko Haram, Muslims in the SW must Resist any urge to become radicalized.
Re: Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools by Nobody: 2:38pm On May 20, 2013
The government should be concerned about the helpless people oh in any decision they are going to make,if anything bad should start happening now they will be the first to transfer their families abroad leaving the common and helpless people to face the bad situation..............GOD DEY OH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Hijab Experience / How Many Times Was Hajj Cancelled In History? / Sheik Muhammad Ali Jabata, CHECKMATED!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.