Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,372 members, 7,819,337 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Wither Conscience? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Wither Conscience? (565 Views)

My Conscience Would Have Made Me Restless, Says Man Who Found And Returned N17m / Thieves With Conscience Return Stolen Items, With Apology Note! / The Best Religion Is A Working Conscience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Wither Conscience? by Daatlaw11(m): 10:19pm On May 17, 2013
Why do people not do what they preach? Or better put, why do people not preach what they do? The revered clergyman and local ordinary of Sokoto, Hassan Kukah said recently about a conversation he had with a friend that got appointed into government and stopped criticizing their foibles as he did before, “ I asked him sir, what is happening up there? Why are you no longer vocal?” and he replied, grinning sardonically “…Fr, well, you know when I reached there, I was taught table manners vis a vis not talking while eating!”

What paradox, don’t you say! I still admire a few Nigerians who have stood steadfast though: Like Steve Orasanya, that trailblazer that touched the Civil Service; Adams Oshiomole, our comrade governor; Dora Akunyili, Madam NAFDAC; Nuhu Ribadu, the former EFCC czar; Abike Dabiri, indeed a honourable lawmaker; Dino Melaye; Barth Nnaji, one of the few ministers to resign because of principle. To mention but a few. You are all beacons for us, the youth.

However on the other side of the coin and like Kukah’s friend above, they include: The information minister, Labaran Maku, you would be surprised to know that he was a vocal youth activist in his hey days in the university; Reuben Abati of the Guardian, that conscience of the newspapers, is now a ‘blind’ spokesman of the President Jonathan; even the Late Livi Ajuonuma, an outspoken presenter those days in NTA, before he entered that hydra headed tower of corruption, NNPC.

I know that they were all doing their various jobs creditably, but whither their conscience? Isn’t it better to do the right thing at all time than soil hard earned reputation at the altar of mammon? Let us remember that posterity, that mildest of masters would not fail to be cruel to those who are not steadfast and accountable on the long run.

(1) (Reply)

If This Guy Beats Your Girlfriend What Will You Do? / Nigerians Wake Up / How Many Pages Of Nl Threads Do You Often Read?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.