Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:53 AM

Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija (2356 Views)

Check The Vin Report On All Suv And Cars Here 4 FREE!!!!! / Big Electric Car Jack For Big Jeeps SUV And Cars, Wheelspanner And Tyre Pump / Extremely Rugged Limited 09/10 Tundra .top Of The Line . Toks And Premium. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by morpheus24: 2:12pm On Apr 24, 2008
Shipping my ML430 mercedes to Naija.  It takes premium unleaded gas. How do I manage this issue when driving back home?
Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by Nobody: 3:45pm On Apr 24, 2008
morpheus24:

Shipping my ML430 mercedes to Naija. It takes premium unleaded gas. How do I manage this issue when driving back home?

Hi, just covered similar issues here -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-129222.0.html

Please pay particular attention to my post's 4,6 and 8.

Good luck.
Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by morpheus24: 7:07pm On Apr 24, 2008
Siena,
I am not a guru on cars, but pretty much what I got from reading your emails are I will need to replace a couple of "things" in the car in order to maximize its performance when driving in lagos.

Please explailn " in lay mans terms" how this will apply specifically to a V8 engine on a mercedes and apart from the octane booster, what else can be done to save guard the life of the engine?
Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by Nobody: 8:11pm On Apr 24, 2008
Morpheus, you'll need to replace the Lambda Sensors, with ones designed for use with leaded petrol.

There are 4 on the V8 motor in the ML430 - 2 before the catalysts, and 2 after, on each banks of the "V".

New vehicles manufactured for use in SA and other countries where lead-free fuel is not available, are fitted with these Lambda sensors (oxygen sensors).

Your catalysts - again, there are 4, 2 pre-catalysts, and 2 larger main ones will have to be cut open, have the contents removed, and welded back together again.

I'll ring up Mercedes-Benz UK tomorrow, and see if there's any means of sourcing the replacement Lambda sensors. If not, at least, I can get the part numbers, and post them here.

1 Like

Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by morpheus24: 8:39pm On Apr 24, 2008
Thanks for the info, Please post the info you get from mercedes as soon as possible and I will look into this issue as well. I thought nigeria used "super" which is unleaded but i am guessing wrong then?
Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by morpheus24: 9:20pm On Apr 24, 2008
SIENA,

When you say catalysts, are you speaking of the catalytic converters?
Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 24, 2008
morpheus24:

Thanks for the info, Please post the info you get from mercedes as soon as possible and I will look into this issue as well. I thought nigeria used "super" which is unleaded but i am guessing wrong then?

"Super" refers to the octane rating, rather than leaded / lead-free. Both leaded and lead-free have high and low octane, i.e regular / premium and super.

morpheus24:

SIENA,

When you say catalysts, are you speaking of the catalytic converters?

That's right.
Re: Suv And Premium Unleaded Fuel In Naija by TouaregV8(m): 6:34pm On May 04, 2008
Dear Morpheus24,

Just read your post concerning your ML430 from the USA.  From my extensive research and experience of Nigerian petrol you CERTAINLY DO NOT need to make changes/alterations to your lovely car.  I imported my VW TOUAREG V8 from the USA in 2006 without any need to alter the vehicle.

Please refer to the my replies to an earlier post concerning the availability of premium fuel in Nigeria:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-129222.0.html

PLEASE PAY PARTICULAR ATTENTION TO MY POSTS (REPLIES) -  Numbers 29, 30, 31, 32, 33 and 35.

By the way, what is your vehicles year of manufacture; and the capacity of your petrol tank? Also do you have the vehicle's handbook (manual)?

Hope to talk to you soon.

(1) (Reply)

1998 Honda Accord - Baby Boy - Tokunbo - For Dash! - SOLD...!! / 2004 Acura Mdx, Dvd, Reverse Camera, Navigation, Alloy, Leather & More. / Toyota Rav 4 1998 Model For Sale Registered (clean)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.