Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,322 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:19 AM

Albert Einstein Vs Isaac Newton. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Albert Einstein Vs Isaac Newton. (893 Views)

11-year-old Boy, Boffin Ramarni Wilfred,with Higher IQ Than Einstein / Who Is The Greatest Scientist Ever, Albert Elsten Or Isaac Newton? / Isaac Newton Vs Albert Einstein (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Albert Einstein Vs Isaac Newton. by Minorsegment: 7:41pm On May 20, 2013
These names are very, very big names in science, precisely physics; though Newton was an alchemist. Scientists in NL, as we all know, these two scientific 'figures' were really great. Newton was an English physicist, mathematician, alchemist, philosopher, and astronomer. His works in mechanics were very outstanding. He formulated the Newton's Laws of Motion and made great contributions in mathematics, especially in Calculus with his counterpart - Gottfried Liebniz. He also contributed immensely in optics. Amongst his greatest works was his law of gravitation which really gave him the mark of a genius. According to his law, the force of attraction between two objects in the universe is proportional, directly, to the product of the masses of the objects and inversely to the square of their distance apart. Suppose we denote the force by F, the two masses by M and m, and the distance between the masses by r, then; from Newton's law, F = GMm/r^2 where G is a constant know as the gravitational constant. You can read more about that online. So from Newton's view, you are attracted to the earth as a result of that force(gravity), which works like a magnet. This is possible because both you and the earth have different masses. Light, which contains discrete particles know as photons, does not experience this force because those particles of light are massless. Newton also predicted, from calculations, the velocity at which an object may travel in order to break away through the earth's gravitational attraction. The value he got was 11.8km/s or so, I'm not sure. He called it escape velocity and from space travels embarked on then, it was found that the value was actually correct. How was Newton able to make this accurate calculation even without travelling to space? Hmm... Maybe he was a ghost or something. Well, the afore mentioned achivements of Newton are just part of his numerous scientific breakthroughs. Let's now take a look at Einstein, the grey-haired old man. He was a German Physicist and Astronomer. His famous equation, E=mc^2, really revolutionalized the world of physical sciences. From the equation, Al. said that energy and matter are interchangeable. I really do not know what that means as I'm just a high school student still battling with obtaining my O'level certificate. I'm not trying to say that I cannot solve problems pertaining energy-matter problems but I really do not understand what the equation means. Why didn't he use c (the speed of light) without squaring it? There must be a reason and I would like some science geeks on NL to help me with that question. Einstein's theory of relativity (both special and general) is what I've been trying to understand but I couldn't. I just discovered that it can only been studied to a great depth by those who have considerable mathematical trainning. In fact, the theory of relativity is referred to as the theory of the universe. It centered mostly on space and time. I can't speak more on that cos I don't know much about it. Apart from the theory, Einstein contributions in the photoelectric effet won him a nobel prize in physics in the year 1921. When ever we hear the name genius, what comes to our mind is Albert Einstein. So, among these two great heroes, who do you think transformed the world better and what are your claims for that? I would have loved to write more on the biographies of both geeks but I just have limited knowledge about them.
Re: Albert Einstein Vs Isaac Newton. by Minorsegment: 10:48pm On May 20, 2013
I'm waiting for your replies.

(1) (Reply)

Latest On ASUU Strike. / How Valuable Is A Masters Certificate From National Open University / Federal University Ndufu-alike Ikwo 2014/2015 POST-UTME FORM OUT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.