Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,980 members, 7,838,490 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Why? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why? (819 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why? by maclatunji: 6:57pm On May 22, 2013
Why is it that a lot of Nigerians do not accept that one can be very fatigued or ill until the person collapses or presents any other form of emergency?

I cannot count the number of times people have asked for more of my time and/or effort even when I tell them I am very tired.
Re: Why? by Seun(m): 7:00pm On May 22, 2013
Dont talk to "Nigerians". Talk to a few doctors. They tend to know a lot about these health things.
Re: Why? by maclatunji: 7:05pm On May 22, 2013
Seun: Dont talk to "Nigerians". Talk to a few doctors. They tend to know a lot about these health things.

You mean doctors understand the psychology of Nigerians on the matter? It is a very personal topic for me- I just experienced it a few minutes ago hence my creating this thread.
Re: Why? by Nobody: 7:16pm On May 22, 2013
[size=13pt]It's not just Nigerians, Tunji. A lot of people are like that. People tend to link fatigue and inability with the physical being. The truth is that mental and/or emotional fatigue can slow someone down as much as the physical. Most people don't know they're overworking themselves until physical signs show, and often times, that's long after mental health has suffered.

Mental health isn't taken seriously in Nigeria or anywhere else for that matter. Even in the US, it's usually the first sector of health to be defunded.[/size]
Re: Why? by maclatunji: 12:17am On May 23, 2013
^Ok, but I do have this impression that Nigerians are working themselves to death. Life expectancy here is not very high and I am just amazed at how even family members will continue to ask you to do XYZ for them and you are literally gasping for breath but they won't believe that until you collapse or worse.
Re: Why? by Tgirl4real(f): 11:17am On May 23, 2013
Seun: Dont talk to "Nigerians". Talk to a few doctors. They tend to know a lot about these health things.

I don't think it's a doctor thing.

People generally will not believe until u act it.

So, if you are tired, show it. lol

1 Like

Re: Why? by dominique(f): 11:42am On May 23, 2013
^ lols abi o. How else do you expect anyone to know your activities are taking a toll on you if you don't show it outwardly? We humans just love to work ourselves beyond our capacities.
Re: Why? by maclatunji: 11:52am On May 23, 2013
dominique: ^ lols abi o. How else do you expect anyone to know your activities are taking a toll on you if you don't [b]show it [/b]outwardly? We humans just love to work ourselves beyond our capacities.

Saying it is not enough for you? The person has to show you? Is tiredness not abstract?
Re: Why? by Tgirl4real(f): 12:08pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

Saying it is not enough for you? The person has to show you? Is tiredness not abstract?

It is, but there is a way u will look that people will know that you are tired.

Although, u can set a limit for yourself and decide not to work further when you feel in a particular way or when it is a particular time of the day, but people would not understand this, so you have to provide physical evidence if u want them to back off.

It's just the way people are generally. There is a tendency to want to stretch you beyond your limit.
Re: Why? by maclatunji: 12:45pm On May 23, 2013
Tgirl4real:

It is, but there is a way u will look that people will know that you are tired.

Although, u can set a limit for yourself and decide not to work further when you feel in a particular way or when it is a particular time of the day, but people would not understand this, so you have to provide physical evidence if u want them to back off.

It's just the way people are generally. There is a tendency to want to stretch you beyond your limit.

I have a problem then because I look perfectly fine even when stressed. Hence, I have to relay my tiredness verbally.
Re: Why? by Tgirl4real(f): 1:59pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

I have a problem then because I look perfectly fine even when stressed. Hence, I have to relay my tiredness verbally.

lol.

Then learn to look tired when u are tired.

Walk and act sluggishly.

Lie down even when you are not sleepy. grin

Keeping yawning why working at the assignment, d person will collect it from you so that u don't type/write rubbish. grin

And so on. lol
Re: Why? by debosky(m): 2:17pm On May 23, 2013
maclatunji:

You don't have a problem, I am the same in that sense. I use a technique that works well, especially on my mum who always wants things done NOW regardless of whether you're worn out or not. cheesy

1. Calmly tell them you're tired.
2. If they continue to ask you to do things, acknowledge them, but don't do anything.
3. If they come back complaining about why you've not done what they've asked, calmly inform them that you told them you were tired and - this is very important - still don't do anything.
4. Only carry out the task once you are rested/well and able to.

Repeat the above cycle a number of times and people will begin get the message. Some say it's passive-aggressive, I say it's effective. grin

There are some thick/inconsiderate folk that will still not get the message, but those ones are irredeemable. The above should work most of the time.
Re: Why? by Nobody: 2:20pm On May 23, 2013
dominique: ^ lols abi o. How else do you expect anyone to know your activities are taking a toll on you if you don't show it outwardly? We humans just love to work ourselves beyond our capacities.
Thanks for your words at the mod section, mod power has been restored,I'm thinking of stepping down, but I have just had a conversation with my co-mod, will carry on.
I could have acknowledged you guys at the mod section, but seems my ban still stands . Thanks
Re: Why? by maclatunji: 2:42pm On May 23, 2013
debosky:

You don't have a problem, I am the same in that sense. I use a technique that works well, especially on my mum who always wants things done NOW regardless of whether you're worn out or not. cheesy

1. Calmly tell them you're tired.
2. If they continue to ask you to do things, acknowledge them, but don't do anything.
3. If they come back complaining about why you've not done what they've asked, calmly inform them that you told them you were tired and - this is very important - still don't do anything.
4. Only carry out the task once you are rested/well and able to.

Repeat the above cycle a number of times and people will begin get the message. Some say it's passive-aggressive, I say it's effective. grin

There are some thick/inconsiderate folk that will still not get the message, but those ones are irredeemable. The above should work most of the time.

@bolded, #Smiling. Maybe I am too soft but considering the fact that I might as well be called "Ivan the Terrible" on Nairaland, you can understand my reluctance to snap at people in real life. Most people know of my firmness in real life by my actions not my words.

I have not gotten the right mix to get people of my back yet. However, I am tempted by the concept of "abdication" of duties and rejection of requests when totally burnt out.
Re: Why? by debosky(m): 2:44pm On May 23, 2013
^^ No need to snap at all. . . when you calmly refuse and then ignore, they'll get the message eventually.

Heck next time, they'll be confused as to whether to ask you or not because they can't tell externally when you're tired. cheesy
Re: Why? by Tgirl4real(f): 3:31pm On May 23, 2013
debosky: ^^ No need to snap at all. . . when you calmly refuse and then ignore, they'll get the message eventually.

Heck next time, they'll be confused as to whether to ask you or not because they can't tell externally when you're tired. cheesy

lol

That ur style na wa. Funny, that is exactly what I do too. I collect, ignore it and do it when I can esp. to my hubby. grin

I usually don't refuse my mum even when I am dog tired cos when she insists, it's usually for what she can't get done in another way.

(1) (Reply)

How To Calculate Your Body Mass Index (BMI) / Bar Soap Versus Liquid Soap / The Truth About Left-handed People

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.