Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,914 members, 7,810,511 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? (16777 Views)

Nigerian Pharmacist Reveals What Constant Sex Will Do To You / How To Start A Chemist/pharmacy Store In Nigeria. / A Pharmacist Recommended This Drug Cefixime 200 Marketed In Nigeria By Swipha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by Stevewise2: 8:02pm On May 22, 2013
In Nigeria today or let me say Lagos, we see a chemist and a pharmacist as same. But i'm kind of confused, is the chemist the place were drugs are sold and a pharmacist the one who sells the drugs or are the chemist and pharmacist different individuals? Someone help me out.
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by Nobody: 8:14pm On May 22, 2013
Chemists normally are people who study chemistry. But pertaining to what u mean, chemists prescribe minor drugs for headaches, stomach aches, and there likes. But pharmacists study pharmacy, they produce drugs, know the DOs and DON'Ts of drugs, in fact they have broadened knowledge in medicine compared to chemists. But for naija, we see where pharmacist sell bread, coke, pepsi and other trash. A pharmacy is meant to be a drugstore.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by juman(m): 10:10am On May 24, 2013
Steve_wise: In Nigeria today or let me say Lagos, we see a chemist and a pharmacist as same. But i'm kind of confused, is the chemist the place were drugs are sold and a pharmacist the one who sells the drugs or are the chemist and pharmacist different individuals? Someone help me out.

In a nutsell in nigeria, a chemist is a small shop where they sell small small amount of drugs. While in the phamarcy, drugs are mostly sold in bigger amount. Chemist also buy drugs from pharmacy.

Chemists handle the chemist while pharmacists is incharge of the pharmacy. Pharmacists have much knowledge about drugs that the chemists.
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by ehisjbox91: 3:51pm On Mar 26, 2015
Chemists Are Trained To Carry Out Experiments In The Lab Why A Pharmacist Is Trained To Know How To Administer And Dispense Drugs To Patients And Also Telling Them The Side Effects. Although There Is A Connection Between A Pharmacist And A Chemist, But There Is A Clear Demarcation Between The Two Professions Because A Chemist Works In The Lab, He Or She Is Involved In The Making And Experiments Being Carried Out In The Laboratory To Produce Drugs But Pharmacist Is Trained To Administer These Drugs To Patients And Also Advice Them On How They Can Be Applied Where ever These Drugs Are Needed.
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by naijafresh: 11:25pm On Mar 26, 2015
The terms are used interchangeably in Nigeria.
A chemist and a Pharmacist tend to be the same thing though in the true sense of the word a chemist is not a pharmacist and vice versa.

The term 'Chemist' usually refers to a Chemist shop and is a bit old fashioned as you could get all sorts of household items, cleaners, paints, solvents etc in a chemist including drugs, the are more of a convenience store and may not necessarily have a qualified pharmacist on site. As previously mentioned they tend to be smaller and may not have an extensive list of drugs available.

Also the term chemist roughly refers to a pharmacy(UK) or drugstore (USA) depending on which country you're in.

I note a comment above noting that these shops sell all sorts of 'rubbish' these days.
It is simply modern marketing strategy and responding to market forces. They sell allied products ie toothbrushes, personally grooming products and groceries etc to maximise profits.

1 Like

Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by drered(m): 8:58am On Mar 27, 2015
naijafresh:
The terms are used interchangeably in Nigeria.
A chemist and a Pharmacist tend to be the same thing though in the true sense of the word a chemist is not a pharmacist and vice versa.

The term 'Chemist' usually refers to a Chemist shop and is a bit old fashioned as you could get all sorts of household items, cleaners, paints, solvents etc in a chemist including drugs, the are more of a convenience store and may not necessarily have a qualified pharmacist on site. As previously mentioned they tend to be smaller and may not have an extensive list of drugs available.

Also the term chemist roughly refers to a pharmacy(UK) or drugstore (USA) depending on which country you're in.

I note a comment above noting that these shops sell all sorts of 'rubbish' these days.
It is simply modern marketing strategy and responding to market forces. They sell allied products ie toothbrushes, personally grooming products and groceries etc to maximise profits.
They are not used interchangeably, not appropriately anyways. Chemists in this context are patent medicine dealers that are given the license to stock simple 'over the counter drugs' like paracetamol, antacids, etc. They are also restricted to selling a limited quantity of this drugs.. A pharmacist is a professional in all respect that can apply himself in so many areas. In this context a pharmacist operating in a pharmacy stocks all kinds of medicines, ethical /prescription drugs (which make up the bulk of medicines) and also OTC 's and most importantly provides pharmaceutical care. Whatever a pharmacist decides to stock in his pharmacy is solely dependent on him. They are strictly pharmacy and also pharmacys/supermarkets.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by zeezahbee(f): 1:11pm On Mar 27, 2015
This are days i weep for Nigeria cry
no one should be handling drugs except the pharmacist.
in a nutshell, blame it on Nigeria

1 Like

Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by naijafresh: 2:13pm On Mar 27, 2015
drered:
They are not used interchangeably, not appropriately anyways. Chemists in this context are patent medicine dealers that are given the license to stock simple 'over the counter drugs' like paracetamol, antacids, etc. They are also restricted to selling a limited quantity of this drugs.. A pharmacist is a professional in all respect that can apply himself in so many areas. In this context a pharmacist operating in a pharmacy stocks all kinds of medicines, ethical /prescription drugs (which make up the bulk of medicines) and also OTC 's and most importantly provides pharmaceutical care. Whatever a pharmacist decided to stock in his pharmacy is solely dependent on him. They are strictly pharmacy and also pharmacys/supermarkets.

Points noted..

When I said 'interchangeably' I did not mean they were correct to do so.
That's why you see a small time shop owner calling himself 'XYZ Global enterprises' when his market is limited to his village. It's a 'nigerianism'
I will tell off my local chemist next time he calls himself a pharmacy smiley

1 Like

Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by geunik(m): 12:25pm On Jul 08, 2017
Pharmacists are chemists while patent medicine dealers are those who nigerians call chemist. Most patent medicine dealers are just ssce holders. For clarity, pharmacists are also referred to as pharmacist. Check my signature for informations on pharmacy school, and the profession
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by sharjeelbhai: 2:39pm On Sep 24, 2020
i read a lot of stuff and i found that the way of writing to clearifing that exactly want to say was very good so i am impressed and ilike to come again in future.. Situs Poker Online Indonesia
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by sharjeelbhai: 12:03pm On Sep 28, 2020
Your articles are inventive. I am looking forward to reading the plethora of articles that you have linked here. Thumbs up! youtube music
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by sharjeelbhai: 9:31pm On Sep 29, 2020
I gotta favorite this website it seems very helpful . fashion show
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by sharjeelbhai: 11:36am On Oct 01, 2020
nice bLog! its interesting. thank you for sharing.... grammy award categories
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by sharjeelbhai: 7:36pm On Oct 02, 2020
Thanks for sharing us. christie's staff directory
Re: What Is Difference Between A Chemist And A Pharmacist? by Olibboy: 2:48am On Oct 03, 2020
Chemists normally are people who study chemistry. But pertaining to what u mean, chemists prescribe minor drugs for headaches, stomach aches, and there likes. But pharmacists study pharmacy, they produce drugs, know the DOs and DON'Ts of drugs, in fact they have broadened knowledge in medicine compared to chemists. But for naija, we see where pharmacist sell bread, coke, pepsi and other trash. A pharmacy is meant to be a drugstore.
One way no enter market. Ona kan o WO OJÀ

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Kidney Transplant Abroad When It Can Done In Nigeria? / What Is Your Genotype??? / Test To Know You Have Trypophobia - Graphic Content

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.