Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,214 members, 7,818,725 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:04 PM

We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi (783 Views)

Super Eagles To Welcome Ex-germany U-21 Player Ahead Of Confed. Cup / Warri Wolves Name Killer Squad For CAF Confed Cup / CAF Champions League & Confed. Cup 2011 - News, Fixtures And Results (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by Born2beRich1(m): 9:45am On May 24, 2013
Nigeria’s technical director Shaibu Amodu insists that the Super Eagles’ main target should be qualifying for the 2014 World Cup, rather than trying to win next month’s Confederations Cup.

The African Champions will face Tahiti, Uruguay and Spain in Brazil in the June tournament which doubles as preparation for the South American country for the hosting of next year’s World Cup.

But Amodu, who was in charge of the Super Eagles when they finished fourth in their maiden Confedera-tions Cup appearance in Saudi Arabia in 1995, told BBC Sport: “What’s the point in winning a World Cup dress rehearsal and missing out on the big party next year?

“The World Cup is a crucial one for the country. For us, it is the most important tournament.

“The fans and media expect Nigeria to win the Confederations Cup, but it is less important to the team and country to be honest.”

The Super Eagles are level on points with Malawi at the top of their World Cup qualifying group and face away trips to Kenya and Namibia next month.

Amodu wants to ensure the team is focused on those matches.

“There are tricky games ahead in the World Cup qualifiers and one slip can easily change the complexion of the group,” he said.

“Every game now is a cup final for them and people should stop piling undue pressure on the team.”

Amodu’s comments seem to conflict with the view of coach Stephen Keshi, who told BBC Sport after the Nations Cup success in South Africa that playing at the Confederations Cup was his main target.

“While preparing the team, I had my eyes set on Brazil,” he explained.

“I was confident we would get there but my players felt I was drunk or acting like a comedian – now they believe.”

Amodu wants Keshi and his players, who are thrilled by the prospect of competing against some of the world’s best teams, to put the tournament into perspective.

“Yes, it is good to test yourselves against some of the best teams in a competitive level but it is not a competition to prepare the Super Eagles for better assessment,” he said.
Re: We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by Dygeasy(m): 9:52am On May 24, 2013
For a very well prepared team that is capable of winning all its matches against the like of spain at the confederation cup, such a team shouldn't have any problem winning all its qualifier matches. Its all a matter of determination. Coach Shaibu Simply do your job!!
Re: We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by Valto(m): 10:41am On May 24, 2013
amodu should mind his business!
Re: We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by Nobody: 10:43am On May 24, 2013
Amodu shut it and face your technical role.

Don't bring your usual pessimism to Keshi's team.

We all know that the confederations cup is just a gathering of Winners and World champions to SHAKE HANDS, MERRY and DINE. . . But that's no excuse to lose out.

cheesy

The timing of the 2 crucial qualifiers are apart from the confeds.

Win the 2 qualifiers and use them as a 'dress rehearsal' to WIN the confed. . .
Re: We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by omar22(m): 10:31am On May 25, 2013
Doesn't this fool know that winning breath confidence
Re: We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 25, 2013
omar22: Doesn't this fool know that winning breath confidence

I wouldn't call him a fool though.

Because he does show some promise as OUR technical director.

I expect major improvement at our defensive abilities.

1 Like

Re: We Don’t Need Confed Cup, Amodu Warns Keshi by Born2beRich1(m): 8:43am On Jun 06, 2013
omar22: Doesn't this fool know that winning breath confidence

Actually amodu is seeking attention becos he is now considered to be irrelevant in football

(1) (Reply)

Tunisia Replace Cape Verde In World Cup Qualifying / Mourinho: Thiago Silva Is More Important To Brazil Than Neymar /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.