Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,969 members, 7,952,901 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 07:06 AM

Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA (667 Views)

‘weekend Getaway’ Hits Nigerian Cinemas In March 2013! / Only Three Nigerian Movies Worth Seeing At The Cinemas In December / Nigerian Government Plans To Fund Nollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA by Orikinla(m): 1:21am On May 26, 2013
Lagos state government will set up cinemas in every local government area according to official sources. As much as I commend this plan to boost the Nigerian film industry, I hope they have not copied my Screen Naija One Village, One Cinema Project since I gave them the plan long before they came up with their own plan which is also similar to what Tunde Kelani has been doing to take his movies to the people. Before you set up cinemas in every local government area, you must train those who will run them. Cinemas are more than viewing centres. The operators need to be trained, otherwise the cinemas will not be of much benefit to the communities. Many of the local movies showing at the cinemas in Nigeria are teleplays. And they are like school dramas simply recorded in video. As Prof. Femi Shaka said, Nollywood movies are like stage dramas in video, because majority of the producers did not study film. The Lagos state government must also make sure the movies are not the same junk we see on TV like the Yoruba movies with terrible subtitles that you wonder if the producers ever went to school or are intellectually re-tarded. A viewing centre is not a movie theatre. The movie theatre culture is an integral part of human development. The socio-cultural development of a community has a great impact on the socioeconomic and sociopolitical development of the community. Therefore, the Lagos state government must understand these facts before they put up viewing centres in local government areas.
Re: Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA by redcliff: 8:36am On May 26, 2013
then again, the conundrum begs, how would these be maintained? by the LG chairmen? this idea is dead on arrival.
Re: Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA by Orikinla(m): 4:04pm On May 26, 2013
redcliff: then again, the conundrum begs, how would these be maintained? by the LG chairmen? this idea is dead on arrival.

It is going to be in partnership with entrepreneurs like the Freedom Park on Broad Street.
Re: Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA by Nuzo1(m): 5:04pm On May 26, 2013
At first I said huh? But after thinking about it, I found out it will not only generate money for the government but also empower Nollywood and Yoruwood financially.

Problem will be management, safety, cost and piracy.

Fact remains that an average Nigerian would rather buy a pirated copy of N100 than going to watch a movie in cinema for N500 and above.

Cinema in Nigeria so far is a luxury only above average Nigerians can afford.
This idea will not sell for now.
Re: Lagos State Government Plans Cinemas In Every LGA by Orikinla(m): 9:42am On May 27, 2013
Nuzo':
At first I said huh? But after thinking about it, I found out it will not only generate money for the government but also empower Nollywood and Yoruwood financially.

Problem will be management, safety, cost and piracy.

Fact remains that an average Nigerian would rather buy a pirated copy of N100 than going to watch a movie in cinema for N500 and above.

Cinema in Nigeria so far is a luxury only above average Nigerians can afford.
This idea will not sell for now.

Your points are valid.
But if Nigerian movies can make over $1m annually at the few cinemas in Nigeria, then imagine how much they will make at more cinemas spread all over the cities and towns.

(1) (Reply)

KOSMOTV Online Is The Must Watch Tv In Nigerian Now For Music Videos+Comedians / If You Are A Confessor,what Will You Do? / Big Bang Theory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.