Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,766 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:47 PM

Why Are We Fascinated By Death! - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are We Fascinated By Death! (1928 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by lucabrasi(m): 10:08pm On Apr 27, 2008
this question is directed at africans in general,i have noticed that white people dont have any problems touching a dead body or even sleeping in the same room with a dead body,sleeping in a coffin e.t.c but we africans will shudder at the thought of even touching a dead body,we build so many stories round them and talk about dead bodies rising and making noise and all that even our movies dont help matters especially yoruba movies with the whole dead body rising,and avenging e.t.c

why do you think africans are fascinated by death and dead bodies and take it much more serious that westerners or white people?
Re: Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by HRhotness(f): 3:08pm On Apr 28, 2008
Its human nature to be scared of what we dont understand
Africans most especially are deeply religious people and thus taught to revere certain things

the white people with modern advances in science are more inclined to let go of religious constraints and thus investigate anything that they feel makes no rational sense.

It all boils down to culture really
Re: Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by lucabrasi(m): 3:38pm On Apr 28, 2008
you r right,but still even after many years abroad we still have same attitude,even africans born and bred abroad who normally should be inclined towards the western attitude to death have the african thing as well , halloween,horror movies,picture telling your parents you r thinking of a career as a mortician or a business involving dead ppl
Re: Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by HRhotness(f): 4:04pm On Apr 28, 2008
It takes more than a few yrs abroad to ease something thats ingrained over generations
as long as you are raised within a certain culture,
its hard to completely let go of all its ideals,,,, many of our influences are on a subconscious level and you have no control over that
(not unless you make decisions contrary to your natural instincts)
Re: Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by topkin(m): 8:42am On Apr 29, 2008
It's culture really. We were brought up to see death as a monster and fear it too. But that mentality is kinda fading off, people are gradually seeing death as it really is; inevitable; just that they hope they could live long(er).
Re: Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by lucabrasi(m): 1:08pm On Apr 29, 2008
i dont thin so tho,a friend of mine graduated as a medical doctor and told her parents she was thiking of working for a while in an embalming parlour in nigeria as its a lot of money bla bla they forbade her not to, when my grandma died we couldnt even touch the coffin and it got me thinkn why its not as if touching a coffin means u ll die tmorro, try passing in front of a funeral parlour or smthn and ur heart will bea rapidly if u realise unless u r not thinking about it at that moment

HR.hotness:

It takes more than a few years abroad to ease something thats ingrained over generations
as long as you are raised within a certain culture,
its hard to completely let go of all its ideals,,,, many of our influences are on a subconscious level and you have no control over that
(not unless you make decisions contrary to your natural instincts)

even if your parents live abroad and u were born abroad and dont have a lot of african/nigerian friends?its ridicuous when it gets to a stage where we cant touch a coffin or avoid people that has anything to do with washing,cleaning or doing anything to a dead body dont u think tho lol
Re: Why Are We Fascinated By Death! by HRhotness(f): 1:57pm On Apr 29, 2008
lucabrasi:

even if your parents live abroad and u were born abroad and don't have a lot of african/nigerian friends?its ridicuous when it gets to a stage where we can't touch a coffin or avoid people that has anything to do with washing,cleaning or doing anything to a dead body don't u think tho lol

it boils down to the parents, my cousin has never been to nigeria but she spks pigin english like she was raised in the streets of warri,
she is more nigerian than i am sef and very very superstitious, its d way she was raised
that could have some influence undecided

(1) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Prostrates To Greet The Alaafin Of Oyo! / Edo (benin) Nairalander's Let Meet Here / What Will Be My Nationality?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.