Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,756 members, 7,824,169 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. (873 Views)

The Reading Culture Has Gone From Bad To Worse / What Happened To Our Reading Culture? / The Writing Life By Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by Emyo(m): 9:18am On May 27, 2013
It is but a pity how 'merlin' and the likes of season movies have vitiated the vitality of reading amongst youths of this era.

We can not blame them all through, writing and acting are of the same purpose, no less then entertainment. the extinction route of books have long been predominated by goodbyes. The poor remunerations of writers are nolonger in doubt.
The few who still write writes for the passion of just writing. The few who read reads from either phones or computers, hence the number one vitiating factor of literary books in nigeria.

The publishing companies are far fetched, unaccessible and too rigorous to even do business with.

The writers are either poor managed or untrained, their talent left unswerving, untapped and unimproved.

The readers are not even aware of any new book, how do they buy what they are not aware of?
the readers are fed up of provocating books in circulation.
Many a time, i have read books i regretted ever buying because of it's poor structure, unnecessary switch-of or rather interwooven provenance leading to provocative ending.

The few of us whom the secret have been made known to, have neither the resources nor channels and materials necessary to revitalising the business of our hobby.

Since the short comings of the publishing companies, many have opted for online publications which also can not be reached by talented story tellers who have neither access to internet nor even own a laptop. it takes versatility on many computer applications to convert documents fro DOC files to PDF on pc's. what then is the fate of computer illiterate writers?

Many is yet trying the hint on self-publishing. i appluad such and believe in self-publishing as the solution to the fast fading writing industry in that the writer writes without fear of publishing companies' embarrasment, insult and difficulty of approaching them. he then prints as much as he thinks he can distribute and finally encourages families, friends and even student to buy, read and digest his book.

The above have become an option for the fastfading reading culture of the nigerian populace in that the writer himself encourages people to read his book.
But do you also know that the author's book may have never been reviewed, edited or critiqued?
The author can never sell out more then a thousand copy of his book, poor circulation and limited awareness.

The above enumerated facts are painful and discouraging to either the authors or readers in nigeria.

No good book to read in nigeria, no accessible publishing company for authors and finally self-publishing authors are now doing more harm than good to the fast fading industry by rushing to the printing press without serious critique on their manuscripts.

Can we not have several publishing outlet like we have many music record label, signing in authors, perfecting their works and finally make an aggressive publication?
Who will be guaranteed a good book to read and will opt for merlin in such a country with deplorable power supply?

I hereby crave for a union of self publishing authors across Nigerain, i pray not for its monopoly but a scattered body in which will provide for competitions of great works.

Each union will review, edit and critique their members books outstandingly and finally help in disseminations of member books.

This idea have being in my mind for a long time, it will improve the writers, it will improve thier works, it will diverge sales thereby improving remenurations to the writers.
Most importantly with the aggressive and vast marketing of such a book, it will definitly improve the reading culture in Nigeria.

what do you say?

2 Likes

Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by Emyo(m): 4:23pm On May 27, 2013
i must have written something!
Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by moscotech: 12:08pm On Jun 01, 2013
Yes dear.
You ve written something.
I like this concept.

if self-publishers could pick one or two this from the above, the industry will grow wider and better.
Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by Emyo(m): 5:07pm On Jun 02, 2013
moscotech: Yes dear.
You ve written something.
I like this concept.

if self-publishers could pick one or two this from the above, the industry will grow wider and better.

thanks for ur time....are u also a writer?
Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by guyla: 8:53pm On Jun 03, 2013
I'm also a writer, your idea sounds great, how do we network
Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by Emyo(m): 7:15am On Jun 04, 2013
guyla: I'm also a writer, your idea sounds great, how do we network
TANKS AND A WARM WELCOM.

ARE YOU A SELF-PUBLISHER TOO?
HOW MANY BOOKS HAVE YOU PUBLISHED AND WHAT KIND OF GENRE?
Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by guyla: 11:21pm On Jun 04, 2013
Guess, i gave myself more credit than i actualy deserve lol, still working on my debut, a literature for junior secondary students
Re: To Encourage & Improve The Reading Culture & The Writing Industry Respectively.. by Emyo(m): 7:09pm On Jun 09, 2013
@Guyla sorry for my late response.
although all is for the good our crave.

i've being busy lately trying to test-run my idea on campus.
i'm in the process of uniting some kind of writers in my school. those who compiles my school past questions and preparatory exercise for aspirants.
i think i should have the pros and cons of uniting SELF PUBLISHERS FROM THHAT.

THOUGH MY IDEA WAS TO UNITE THOSE THAT WRITE TALES, BUT I THINK WHAT AM DOING WILL DEVELOP SUCH.

(1) (Reply)

Define "Life" In Your Own Perspective. / The New Neighbour / What Is Dead? (horror)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.