Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:41 PM

What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? (6223 Views)

A Picture Gallery Of Igbo Traditional Marriage Ceremony "Igbankwu" / A List Of Igbo Dialects And Where Their Speakers Are Found. / Which African Countries Have You Visited? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by odumchi: 2:10am On May 30, 2013
I was listening to the song "Motor Mixture" by Shama Melody, and as he was giving greetings and praises to the Igbo in diaspora, I began to wonder.

So, nairalanders, both Igbo and non-Igbo, what do you think?

Here's my list in order:

1. USA (New York; Houston/Dallas, Texas; California; Maryland; Atlanta, Georgia; Chicago, Illinois)
2. UK (London, Bristol, Manchester, Birmingham)
3. South Africa
4. Canada
5. Germany
6. Netherlands
7. Malaysia
8. China
9. Thailand
10. Spain
11. Ghana
12. Benin
13. Equatorial Guinea
14. Japan
15. Finland
16. Sweden
17. South Korea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by odumchi: 2:13am On May 30, 2013
It's extremely amazing that a people, who a mere century ago were forest-dwellers in the heart of West Africa, have spread themselves to every icy corner of the world in ambitious pursuit of success. I am truly humbled to be a member of such a determined and hard-working set of people.

Umu Igbo zuru uwa niile, aru amaka unu! Unu ana eri gini eh?! ✊

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Afam4eva(m): 2:14am On May 30, 2013
South Africa, China and the United states in no particular order.

I've always known there were a lot of Igbos in SA but never knew they were so much until I watched some clips of Nigerian fans who went to support the Nigerian team in the stadium. 90% of them are Igbos.

There are lots of Igbos in the US too it's just that, because the US is so big, it's hard to notice any group that is less than 1 million in population.

Let's also not forget our African neigbours, Cameroon and Equitorial Guinea. Loads of Igbos there.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by odumchi: 2:22am On May 30, 2013
Afam4eva: South Africa, China and the United states in no particular order.

I've always known there were a lot of Igbos in SA but never knew they were so much until I watched some clips of Nigerian fans who went to support the Nigerian team in the stadium. 90% of them are Igbos.

There are lots of Igbos in the US too it's just that, because the US is so big, it's hard to notice any group that is less than 1 million in population.

Let's also not forget our African neigbours, Cameroon and Equitorial Guinea. Loads of Igbos there.

Nwanne m, you won't believe how amazed I am. To be honest, here in the United States, every week I come across atleast one Igbo person in the strangest and most unexpected manner. Whenever I wonder how much our people have trekked the world, I find myself speechless.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by tpia5: 2:36am On May 30, 2013
America, south africa, europe, china

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Les: 4:12am On May 30, 2013
Moving around, making money and bringing the money home and developing home..... In ol countries, I only pity those that will be in odua and boko state, come 2015.
Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Nobody: 5:40am On May 30, 2013
You left out Senegal,Gambia,Ivory coast,Seychelles,Malawi,Cambodia,Ireland rep.

They are thousands in those places.

Even brazil,argentina,bolivia for ndi na eme ife.

Lots of them in mexico as well.

2 Likes

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by tempex88(m): 6:54am On May 30, 2013
I have seen ibo's in very poor African nations, d most uncivilized villages in d north, they r just everywhere and d good tin is dat dey r thrivin!!! put dem underground, d wud still thrive

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Gboliwe: 7:30am On May 30, 2013
From my personal observation, it is in this order
USA
SA
CHINA
MALAYSIA
UK

3 Likes

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Agrika: 6:29pm On Jun 07, 2013
Biafra
Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 07, 2013
I believe that the Igbo population is grossly underestimated.

Call me crazy but I think we number over 50 million (Accounting for all Igbos in existence today).

Given our conspicuous presence all over the globe it has to be so.

2 Likes

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by Afam4eva(m): 8:24pm On Jun 07, 2013
But i hope these people will come back home one day. The fact that our people are scattered throughout the globe is a pointer that things are not well back home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by NonsoPlatinum: 8:38am On Nov 28, 2017
There's a lot of igbo culture being promoted in the Igbo-British community. Have a look at their channel, they are trying to keep the language alive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTyt1IqD6hk
Re: What Countries Have The Highest Population Of Igbo Diaspora? by lawani: 1:33pm On Jul 02, 2023
Everybody should bow down to the Chinese because they are just too many. Compared to the Chinese, the Yoruba, Igbo etc are similar to a drop in the ocean.

(1) (Reply)

'okobo' / Real Authentic Yoruba Tribal Mark / The Idoma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.