Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,731 members, 7,824,063 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Tax And Pensions - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Tax And Pensions (1582 Views)

Let's Talk Pensions! Accurate Solution To All Issues With Your Pfas / Why You May Not Access 25% Of Your Pensions On Job Loss / Tax Professionals Forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tax And Pensions by nezer16: 6:37pm On May 30, 2013
please can somebody tell me how tax and pension are applied on salary.

my salary was increased by a little figure but my deductions increased by more than 100%.
Thanks
Re: Tax And Pensions by nitrogen(m): 10:51pm On May 30, 2013
Pension deduction is equal to 7.5 percent of your gross emoluments/income (for private organisations), perhaps, your income increased by a hundred percent too wink If so, then pension deduction will increase at the same rate (100 percent), but wait, maybe some other deductions came with the increase undecided angry
Re: Tax And Pensions by dahmie2013: 9:20am On May 31, 2013
Interesting, concerning pension, I know u are aware of the contributory pension which is between employers and employees. Ur pension is 7.5% of ur basic salary, housing and transport allowances and ur employer is also to add 7.5% minimum, which some companies even add more and all these will be managed by your Pension Fund Administrator (PFA) and they also have Custodians that manage them. So an increase in your salary, will also increase the amount you now contribute to your pension fund.

As regards tax, which is PAYE (Pay As You Earn), maybe you aren't aware of the new Personal Income Tax (PIT) law. The new PIT Law is progressive in nature i.e, the more you earn, the higher you pay. So if there is an increase in ur salary, obviously you will pay more tax. Most top mgt staff are not finding the new law funny as its requiring them to pay more. The advantage of this law, favours low income earners.

But I think wat wud have affected ur net pay more is ur tax,check ur payslip and analyse again.

Hope my comments are useful.
Re: Tax And Pensions by olabode89(m): 6:34pm On Jun 01, 2013
Hmmmmmm......

For pension it's 7.5% of ur basic emoluments(basic salary + housing allowance + transport allowance).

Income Tax (PAYE)
Provided it's calculated in accordance with the most recent PITA (PITA 2012)
1. First the Taxable income is calculated by deducting pension and consolidated relief and allowances (CRA) from the gross pay.
CRA = higher of N200,000 or 1% of gross income plus 20% of gross income.

2. The Tax income is claculated using the bands below
Band 1 first N300,000 taxed @ 7%
Band 2 next N300,000 taxed @ 11%
Band 3 next N500,000 taxed @ 15%
BAnd 4 next N500,000 taxed @ 19%
Band 5 next N1,600,000 taxed @ 21%
Band 6 above N3,200,000 taxed @ 24%

PS-from ur question ur pension and tax will increase if ur gross pay is increased.

(1) (Reply)

Occupation Feminization / Mckinsey SHL Test / Gmass Loan - Get From 30k To 4million Without Collateral (see Details)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.