Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,644 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:38 PM

How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) (9568 Views)

How To Move From An Amateur To A Chef In Just 15days / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg / The First Thing You Learned How To Cook And At What Age? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Nobody: 6:51am On May 31, 2013
I still recall the first proper dish l ever tried to cook; it was a dish l saw in a cookery book. The outcome? Total disaster. It was exact opposite of delicious but that did not discourage me but made me more determine and the rest is history.

I had to share this experience because if you think you are a terrible cook because you have trouble making even normal fried rice, believe me that everyone started off from being an amateur.

I have always say it’s easy to become a great cook nowadays because of the availability of resources and information that is available everywhere. You could admire and follow the cooking style of a particular chef and don’t necessarily have to meet with them.

Everyone that is involved in the preparation of food can be called a cook but what makes you stand out from the rest is what l will be sharing with you.To take it to the next level you must work hard and have passion to achieve your dream.

(1) Cooking is a science. In science we mix every substance in the proper ratio. Same works in cooking. You mix different ingredients in the appropriate manner and check the dish every minute.

(2) To become a professional you have to look at cooking from the business point. You don’t necessarily have to cook for business but think in that line.

(3) You must always have your apron on and ensure your hair is covered. This is to ensure no hair particles is found in your cooking.

(4) Commit to practicing a particular recipe till you become perfect. Practice makes perfect and it’s only when you keep practicing that you reach the pinnacle of perfection. Once perfect in a particular dish you can now begin to play with your food. Add different spices here or there, substitute ingredients etc this would enable you see how good or bad they combine. Also challenge yourself in other ways.

(5) You must be creative in your cooking and presentation. Go out to restaurants and see how the meal is presented and taste. Watch food channels and blogs to follow step by step directions.

(6) You must be innovative. You don’t have to cook it the way everyone does. Don’t be afraid to try something new. Ask your friend’s to come around and try it and get there response to how it taste etc.

(7) You must be a quick learner and open to new ideas.

(cool Ensure you use your salt and pepper wisely. They are your best friend in the kitchen. While you try to lower your sodium intake, you need to use at least some when cooking because it brings out amazing flavors for your recipe.

(9) Know your flavors correctly to know where to apply. Understanding natural flavors of food will help you understand the character of a dish, which is essential to making good food.

(10) Don’t be afraid to make errors! The best cooks are those that make the most mistakes. It’s the best way to learn.

(11) Understand the ingredients you are working with i.e. what flavor does your garlic add to your recipe. How is cooking the leg part of a chicken different from the chest part etc. Everyday we learn new stuff. The only way to learn is experimentation and academic knowledge is not worth anything without practicalising with real food.

(12) Have your cooking book, internet, or whatever, but always have a trusted resource nearby when you are in the kitchen. This is to enable you quickly check if you are not sure of something.

(13) You must know how to use your knives on the cutting board. Know how to cut vegetables, fillet fish, and chicken etc. This makes you an all rounder cook and brings out the best in your presentation

(14) You must learn to become fast and punctual in your cooking. With constant practice this can be achieved and if you say dinner would be ready @6pm.lt should be so. Don’t keep your guests waiting and wondering when will it ever be ready.

(15)Keep your private life away from your cooking. This could affect your concentration and performance.

(16) You need to sit down at least once a week and plan out your meals and grocery lists. It saves you time and money, and makes you a more conscious and organized cook.

Lastly, you must learn to clean as you go. Although, some say it’s the worst part of cooking, but cleaning throughout the process, rather than at the end, makes it a much easier job.

11 Likes

Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by onemecarl: 12:18am On Jun 04, 2013
@Rasojie, that was a nice post. I am very passionate about food and I think some of the suggestions would be of help to me. However, does being a professional always involve a formal education (in for example Catering?)
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by emyibe(m): 3:06pm On Jun 05, 2013
Food is food.Cooked by a professional or unprofessional, i eat and enjoy it. all na to shit grin grin
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by braxjay(m): 3:06pm On Jun 05, 2013
onemecarl: @Rasojie, that was a nice post. I am very passionate about food and I think some of the suggestions would be of help to me. However, does being a professional always involve a formal education (in for example Catering?)

passionate chop chop tongue tongue tongue hehehe ( na joke o dear MOD grin)

@op nice
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by phaya(f): 3:12pm On Jun 05, 2013
Just take me to a place where I can eat good food. No time for all these many do's n donts
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by ifihearam: 3:15pm On Jun 05, 2013
Well i guess this post should be for the women and not guys. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by imsuboi(m): 3:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
Nice one. Thanks smiley
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Goldenheart(m): 3:32pm On Jun 05, 2013
The mistake i ve ever made in cooking is; forgetting to add oil to my Jollof rice n beans

I swear that was then i understood the value of Groundnut oil..
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Coldfeet(f): 3:43pm On Jun 05, 2013
Abeg op rephrase o! Cos there is nothing common in cooking fried rice! Me I know how many times I had to retry just to get that taste,texture and colour of good fried rice right cheesy so pls its not common o! Nice piece anyway.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by profola2be(m): 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2013
phaya: Just take me to a place where I can eat good food. No time for all these many do's n donts
And you will want a listening husband,abi,when you fail to prepare him good food?
I can assure you,be ready to accommodation a good cook(woman) as your husband second wife!
You better begin to learn how to cook now before it will be too late for you!
Shior!

2 Likes

Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by danjkad: 4:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
This a nice piece op.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by danjkad: 4:17pm On Jun 05, 2013
This ȋ̝̊̅§ a nice piece op.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by yuzedo: 4:18pm On Jun 05, 2013
I can cooke more dan any NL babes! smiley esept d veryyyy uglyyy ones. angry
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Nobody: 4:27pm On Jun 05, 2013
I see cooking as art rather than science. It's my specialty.

2 Likes

Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by sucessful1: 4:45pm On Jun 05, 2013
Obiagelli: I see cooking as art rather than science. It's my specialty.

That's ok!!we all see things differently.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by sholay2011(m): 4:54pm On Jun 05, 2013
sucessful1:

That's ok!!we all see things differently.
Bro, dont see it differently oh...cooking is art. cool Though it may seem scientific.

1 Like

Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by mysticgal(f): 4:58pm On Jun 05, 2013
Cooking is my specialty.kitchen na my department,me be the head of department.GO FOOD GO"EHEN ANYPROBlem" cheesy
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Bsmartt(m): 5:22pm On Jun 05, 2013
great to have some additional information on cookery.i wil try the tips.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by overdrive(m): 5:23pm On Jun 05, 2013
Yes cooking is more of an art than science.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by curiouslad(m): 5:31pm On Jun 05, 2013
Can't remember the last time i actually ate food that was cooked at home? cool cool

Unless you can cook better than the eatery where i eat, don't ask me to cook at home
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Rachy12(f): 5:42pm On Jun 05, 2013
Well said
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by lonelydora: 5:49pm On Jun 05, 2013
I did not follow all these rules when i cooked that delicious food for my wife, which is on front page.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by seunny4lif(m): 6:00pm On Jun 05, 2013
The OP try sha bt i no dey follow all this rules becos i hav neva and i will neva...Thank God,nobody dey follow me drag kitchen oooh grin grin grin grin...Cooking na science ooh nt art angry angry angry becos na practical nt theory...My future wife no fit demo 4 me.... wink wink
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by hizaya61(m): 6:49pm On Jun 05, 2013
The last time I cook egusi soup with indomie flavor then I know catering school is wasting of time
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by pinky21(f): 7:40pm On Jun 05, 2013
Wahala dey oo. Al dis for cooking. Hmmmmmmmmmm
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by dougivilla(m): 8:38pm On Jun 05, 2013
Thanks a lot. Cooking is both science and/or art, depending on the point of view! For me sha, its more art than science. @op the tips are awesome. Thanks a great deal.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by sayso: 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2013
sholay2011:
Bro, dont see it differently oh...cooking is art. cool Though it may seem scientific.

I see it as an art. Ask the french, you will know creativity is in cooking.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jun 05, 2013
ifihearam: Well i guess this post should be for the women and not guys. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
no it isn't.it's for both.especially the men and women who love cooking.and yes some men do love cooking
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by TVTKOKO(m): 10:54pm On Jun 05, 2013
Bsmartt: great to have some additional information on cookery.i wil try the tips.
Try wat tips?inside that jollof rice
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by Feraz(m): 11:13pm On Jun 05, 2013
Lastly, you must learn to clean as you go. Although, some say it’s the worst part of cooking, but cleaning throughout the process, rather than at the end, makes it a much easier job.
I do this whenever I cook and like you said, it is easier that way.
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by gnykelly(m): 4:53am On Jun 06, 2013
My experience with cooking is that you should know the right proportion of mixing every ingredient. I've ate food that had complete stock but it wasn't delicious
Re: How To Graduate From An Amateur To Professional Cook (simple Guides) by sucessful1: 4:54am On Jun 06, 2013
sholay2011:

D op didn't say cooking is science,she said she saw it as science,does she not have right to her view?I've not expressed my view on d subject matter,bside I hate cooking.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fake St. Louis Sugar In Circulation , Nafdac Warns / ~Wedding Cakes In Its Finest~ / Which Fruit Juice Is The Best In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.