Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,765 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. (31473 Views)

Photos: How To Calculate Fuel Consumption / What Is The Cheapest Way To Deal With P0420? / Catalyst Code P0420 & Knock Sensor Code P0328 On My Nissan Maxima (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:22pm On Sep 02, 2013
Lexusgs: @ ZIM DRILL - I have watched such videos many times over. My case in- point is that, whatever got cleaned by terraclean either the catalytic converter, blocked injectors or other stated reasons for getting the P0420 CODE. After my vehicles got cleaned, the codes no longer appeared on the ECU.

that system cleans carbon deposits
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by shadows1: 7:43pm On Sep 03, 2013
Hello car experts.....I have been battling with theses codes - P0420 (bank 1), P0440, P0441, P0446. I use Toyota Corolla 2003. I have changed my O2 sensor. But the light came back on almost immediately. Kindly help explain the codes and possible solution.
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:58pm On Sep 03, 2013
shadows*:
Hello car experts.....I have been battling with theses codes - P0420 (bank 1), P0440, P0441, P0446. I use Toyota Corolla 2003. I have changed my O2 sensor. But the light came back on almost immediately. Kindly help explain the codes and possible solution.

code P0420 ---- http://www.obd-codes.com/p0420

code P0440 ---- http://www.obd-codes.com/p0440

code P0441 ---- http://www.obd-codes.com/p0441

code P0446 ----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQFULrEY3NE
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by JaaizTech: 4:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
shadows*:
Try a Mobil V power fuel system cleaner; you can try it out twice in a row. Then afterwards consider other options. Many things can cause this code, so it is wiser to start with the simpler solutions.
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by JaaizTech: 6:05pm On Oct 27, 2013
JaaizTech: [b]From what I have read the P0420 is a common problem in hondas.I am calling out to the gurus (Siena & Co) here, to save me and many others like me.
My Car keeps reporting an OBD code P0420 (Catalytic Converter Inefficiency), and in addition my car seems to lose considerable power especially when driving with AC. Also I have poor fuel mileage in the neighborhood of 15 MPG inter-city drive with AC on

I disconnected the dash board fuse connected to my A/F sensor and my car seems to have more power and of course consumes even more fuel. That gave me the incline that my A/F sensor and/or O2 sensor may be bad. I have made a lot of research and I have been able to narrow down the Potential problems to bad O2 SENSOR and Air / Fuel ratio sensor OR Bad Fuel Pump OR Bad Catalytic converter.

Now, here is where my issue lies: I have got seriously limited budget and hence can not afford to replace all parts especially when there is a chance that only one if faulty. Can you advice me from your experience on similar issues. Also how important is it to replace my Spark plugs, they are not really showing any major signs of under-performance.[/b]

UPDATE: I finally found out what caused the considerable loss of power when driving with AC. It turned out to be my spark plugs. By the time I checked them, they were practically working on last life. Since I changed them the car runs just as good as without the AC and I also noticed less vibration when at stop with gear on "DRIVE".

So why didn't I look in the direction of the spark plugs earlier?? I was fooled by the performance of the car without AC. the car started without hesitation in the morning and idled fine; but little did I know that with the current modern cars, the ECU compensates for weaknesses in the spark plugs to a certain degree that you would hardly notice they were worn out.

So my advice to Tokunboh car owners is that check out your spark plugs when you purchase your cars because you'd never know how much mileage the previous owner got on them. Lastly only replace your spark plugs with the recommended type either it be tokunboh spark plugs or new ones.
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by jpphilips(m): 5:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
nissparts:
If you have a catalyst code and you replace an o2 sensor, 99% of the time you would have wasted your money

Ya, because what most people don't know is that the same OBD2 scanner that showed them the catalyst code can as well show the status of both sensors, lol, Nigerian mechanics are just plain dumb

1 Like

Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by jpphilips(m): 5:43pm On Oct 15, 2014
cardoctor:

Not true. I had an Acura MDX that came to my workshop yesterday with the same code issue and once we replaced the o2 sensor the check engine light went permanently off and the code never came up again.

Car-Doctor.

I don't agree with you, if the oxygen sensor was bad, a different code for it will pop up, what if the CAT was blocked, how will O2 sensor change fix it? guy relax, that car is gonna come back, the P0420 code is kinda tricky, when you reset, it goes off for long and you think you have done something only to find it smiling back once you drive the highway.

This is what I will advise, check your exhaust for leaks by covering the outlet, loose down your exhaust assembly and replace all the joint gaskets, they are not really expensive, while on the ground, wash the CAT with steam wash (like the radiator guys), use a flash light to look through the CAT to ensure it is not degraded, clean the bank 1 and 2, sensors and change your plugs.
in my case, i used an extender to fool the Bank 1 sensor as Nissan parts explained, I wasn't still satisfied, I had to weld close the tip of the extender to ensure the sensor get the minimal fumes, the code disappeared, because I did quite a lot to remove it, I may not categorically say exactly what removed the code, but it was fun exploring options.

Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by nissparts(m): 6:21pm On Oct 15, 2014
It's obvious his statement was wrong just from him referring to a catalyst code reset he did "yesterday" as being "permanently" fixed.
Anyone who knows about catalysts knows that even without doing any repairs and erasing the code, it may take as long as a month to return but return IT MOST CERTAINLY WILL.
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by Lexit: 7:35pm On Nov 10, 2017
Anyone knows where this Lacquer Thinner can be got in Nigeria, Lagos specifically? i have the p0420 and p0430 codes on my Lexus rx330 that keep coming back a day or 2 after erasing them.
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by Chikebrain: 4:22pm On Nov 11, 2017
I used to have same error on my camry 05 i4. I bought another catalyst converter but the sensor wire cut and my mechanic fixed the sensor on the previous catalyst converter to the one I bought. No code came out for about a week. The check light came on and when I scanned it I got the P2423 (HC Adsorption Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1) code. I've changed spark plug, cleaned out injector, checked if there's a leakage in the exhaust but everything seems to be fine. My issue is the fact that my fuel burns out quickly.

My question: Could the 02 sensor be the cause of this P2423 as I put the old one. Would I get better fuel efficiency if I change it?

Didn't want to start another thread as this thread could serve as a fountain of knowledge for related issues

CC Nurey, Gazzuzz
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:25pm On Nov 11, 2017
Chikebrain:
I used to have same error on my camry 05 i4. I bought another catalyst converter but the sensor wire cut and my mechanic fixed the sensor on the previous catalyst converter to the one I bought. No code came out for about a week. The check light came on and when I scanned it I got the P2423 (HC Adsorption Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1) code. I've changed spark plug, cleaned out injector, checked if there's a leakage in the exhaust but everything seems to be fine. My issue is the fact that my fuel burns out quickly.

My question: Could the 02 sensor be the cause of this P2423 as I put the old one. Would I get better fuel efficiency if I change it?

Didn't want to start another thread as this thread could serve as a fountain of knowledge for related issues

CC Nurey, Gazzuzz

ensure you have the right part number
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:41pm On Nov 11, 2017
JaaizTech:

My P0420 code have disappeared for over 2 weeks now; this happened after I refilled my tank with Petrol and added a Mobil Injector Cleaner (Mobil power), when I noticed it the first time, I refilled my tank again when it was half-full adding another bottle of the injector cleaner (Mobil power). The code is yet to re-appear since then.

I remember in one of the videos, that the mechanic advised you empty about a gallon of "thinner" into your tank first before deciding to remove it for a wash. Perhaps the Mobil power just did the thinner's job. I will keep you guys posted if it shows up again.

thinners weaken injector rubber seals
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by skotch(m): 5:09pm On Dec 21, 2021
jpphilips:

catalyst inefficiency has nothing to do with the sensors. its road side mechanics that suggest those crap.
connect your OBD2 and switch to the spectrum graph mode you will see the performance of your sensors. if it goes bad, another code will pop up indicating bad sensors.

what you guys ignore is this; when the catalyst degrades, it is the sensor that sends the signal to the ECU before the check engine light turns on, now, how would you have check engine for catalyst and still say the sensor that alerted you is bad? does it make sense?
exactly what my mechanic told me but i ignored him.

i had catalyst inefficiency i came here and opened a thread, i got all sorts of advice till the catalyst burned off, my exhaust hollowed and my fuel consumption improved greatly.
though the wuuu! exhaust sound bothers me but the fact that i save fuel is worth it.

Please I'm having fuel consumption issues with my Lexus ES330, the catalytic converters were removed and I thought it'd be better to disconnect the O2 sensors but the consumption is still high.
Do you think that getting an O2 sensor spacer and reconnecting the O2 sensor will help reduce the fuel consumption?
Please do you have any suggestions for me on how to solve this problem?
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by autologic: 8:30pm On Dec 21, 2021
skotch:

Please I'm having fuel consumption issues with my Lexus ES330, the catalytic converters were removed and I thought it'd be better to disconnect the O2 sensors but the consumption is still high.
Do you think that getting an O2 sensor spacer and reconnecting the O2 sensor will help reduce the fuel consumption?
Please do you have any suggestions for me on how to solve this problem?
Look elsewhere, missing cat is not your culprit , it high time we learn to put a metric to fuel mileage measurement eg by which which margins is the consumption not just mere saying car consume fuel only .
Re: P0420 Code Fix, High Fuel Consumption To Be Fixed. by braveheart77: 2:19pm On Feb 19, 2022
cardoctor:
Good stuff but you can only carry out these procedures if you still have a cat in your exhaust system as most cars that have come into my workshop with emission related issues have had the cats gutted out from the casing.

I just had a 2008 Honda accord come in last week with the same p0420 code and on further investigation discovered that all the catalytic converters have been cleverly removed making the car less fuel efficient and the sound from the exhaust very hollow.

I must advise that you check your car's cat before leaving it for too long at a mechanic workshop.

How do me as a non mechanic know if the CAT is there or not. A mechanic just told me mine is missing after scanning the car which shows code p0420.

Basically how can i know if my car has been tampered with at any point

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vehicle Veered Into Bush On Oyo-ogbomoso Road / Ban On Importation Of Tokunbo Cars: What You Should Know / Bentley Unveils New £160,000 Continental GT With A Revolving Three-way Dashboard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.