Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,523 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

How Do I Make Friends In A New Town - Dating And Meet-up Zone - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating And Meet-up Zone / How Do I Make Friends In A New Town (860 Views)

How To Make Friends On Nairaland / Meet New Cool People And Just Make Friends / How Do I Make Friends On Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jun 01, 2013
I am 24 years and very happy most of the time. I will have days where I'll be happy and feel like I have the best life, and then there are days like today, when I feel so down and depressed and want to cry for no reason.

I born and bred in northern nigeria, though I'm a native of the south. I currently reside in port harcourt. I'm sad most of the times because I don't have friends around me.. Its difficult to blend in because the social lifestyle in port harcourt is a little extreme and most of the friends that try to get close are usually guys, and I'm cautious of things getting a little complicated.

I just rounding up my NYSC, and as a medical professional,.most of my female colleagues are quite older than I am, and mostly married and so its difficult to be close friends with them. Most of the time I come back from the clinic, straight home to my empty house, no friends, no family, and the cycle goes on and on. I wish I had a home to go to oranywhere at all, even if its with a family setting at least. I'm not home sick. Not at all. I've been in the boarding school since I was 8 and had an accommodation outside my family home in the university. Its just that I miss a close human communication.

I have people that I get along with, but I never had that closeness. I wonder if its because of me, but I don't know how to build a friend base.
Another thing is that the few friends I try to make always have hanging out ideas that are not decent for me..
I am not a saint but I'm decent and reserved and I believe in moderation.
I'm also attractive and so I have a good number of guys who request to hang out on a platonic level. But I feel guilty going out with a guy even on a casual date, because I have a boyfriend (the sweetest in the world),though he isn't always around. I just don't like the idea of having guys all around me to avoid insecurities and feelings of hurt in the process.

I really need to get past with this stage because it really hurts, and it has been on for a long time,and now that I'm almost done with my service, it will be worse because I won't even work at the clinic anymore.

Please how do I make a friend(s) in my situation. cry
Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by k2039: 8:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
Be friendly, have a smile on your face at all times and ensure you greet people (you just have to make them feel important).

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie will help a lot.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by mecussey(m): 8:12pm On Jun 01, 2013
Serious case....one, I would say you are an introvert like me. Two, you have rejected friends already. I think you are younger than your status and older than your mates. Most of your real mates are married, and the girls you may call mates now would be younger than you and not as advanced. Eventually, you will not enjoy the company like when you were in school. The only friends you will enjoy now are guys and late entry ladies which are more dangerous than the guys. If you can flock together with the late entry ladies, then you will become one of them. I dont think thats what you want, may be you are looking for a gossip friend, then you have enough time to waste. I suggest you select guys who are very much busy, and work with them. You will enjoy the little times with them but your relationsip will be at stake. Life is too short to be reading only one page of it, accept the fact that things has changed. If your guy is serious, let him come and take you at once, no alibi is good enough.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 01, 2013
I just don't like the idea of having guys all
around me to avoid insecurities and feelings of hurt
in the process
you're not ready to make friends yet, when you start liking the idea of having guys/people around you then you'll make friends.
Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
Make big posters wit ur number and paste them all over town u will make a whole lot of them
Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by Nobody: 8:27pm On Jun 01, 2013
Just go out with the guys, have a shot of tequila and hit back home. You just find yourself awake the next morning. No cries, no worries...just know ur limit Sha.

Me, I had just few girls as friends, most of my friends were/ are guys, I go out a lot with them, no strings attached , discuss football...even help them connect babes sef wink.

Since you are not really into the lifestyle, e go hard Sha,

You can as well try church or mosque as your faith carry you.

No time for tears abeg!
Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by Acidosis(m): 8:34pm On Jun 01, 2013
You have a bf,

You called him "world's sweetest guy"

+

P/H guys knocking at your door everyday.

Hmnn.. what else are you looking for? A Ra. pist?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by libertanna: 10:45am On Jul 24, 2023
Good afternoon, please advise me where I could find a good site to find friends, thanks in advance for your recommendations!
Re: How Do I Make Friends In A New Town by JohannLibert: 11:36am On Jul 24, 2023
My best advice is to put yourself out there and engage in social activities that align with your interests. Join a local book club or sports league. Check out https://www.nearby. for groups related to hobbies you enjoy. And don't underestimate the power of simply smiling and introducing yourself to people you cross paths within your neighborhood or at community events. Apps like Nearby make it easy to connect with like-minded people nearby too. I've had great success using it to meet new friends while traveling and after moving to a new city. The key is being open-minded and willing to step outside your comfort zone. If you do that regularly, you'll be surprised at the new friends that come into your life.

(1) (Reply)

I Meet My Twin On Nairaland(photo) / I Am Looking For Single Male Friend Based In Abuja. / 35 Asian Married & Mother Of 2 . Serious Guys In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.