Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,485 members, 7,819,760 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:34 PM

Euthanasia - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Euthanasia (3460 Views)

Is Euthanasia A Sin ??? / Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. / Euthanasia And Religion(christianity) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Euthanasia by Avicenna: 11:35am On Jun 02, 2013
Euthanasia (from the Greek: εὐθανασία meaning "good death": εὖ, eu (well or good) + θάνατος, thanatos (death)) refers to the practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia

Right to die-ethical or institutional entitlement of any individual to commit suicide or to undergo voluntary euthanasia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_die

Euthanasia- and the slippery slope-right to die are two distinct issues on which debates never seem to end. In Nigeria. only a handful of people i know are in support. Most are not, for majorly religious reasons. Now, as we know too well, religions can be adaptive,If faced with convincing reason.
My argument for it is as follow;
1) Terminal Patients sufferring from agonizing disease/paralysis should have an option of ending their life, it is their life .
The muslim counterargument
1) Life is bestowed by Allah,therefore, he is the owner and creator . Only him can take or give life.
this implies Euthanasia / right to die is forbidden.
2) If a man is ill and no treatment seems to be working, all treatment may be stopped( Treatment may include analgesics)
The christian counterargument.
1) I have no idea . sorry

From what i have read and people's opinion about it, the major argument are from religion.
To all nairalanders, what do YOU think?
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 02, 2013
There are many tings worse than death.

Long term terminal suffering is worse than death.

To me, if someone is conscious enough to wish that he should be killed because of his illness that cant be cured and leaves him in perpertual pain, he should be gently drugged into a sweet death.

How I hope that some of the christians who claim that there is no case for euthanasia should be in a position of perpetual torture (due to health issues) so that others can look over them and smile while they cry for a sweet painless death as a release from the pain
Re: Euthanasia by ZUBY77(m): 11:42am On Jun 02, 2013
I think i am clicking on another thread.

1 Like

Re: Euthanasia by Avicenna: 11:47am On Jun 02, 2013
Logicboy03: There are many tings worse than death.

Long term terminal suffering is worse than death.

To me, if someone is conscious enough to wish that he should be killed because of his illness that cant be cured and leaves him in perpertual pain, he should be gently drugged into a sweet death.

How I hope that some of the christians who claim that there is no case for euthanasia should be in a position of perpetual torture (due to health issues) so that others can look over them and smile while they cry for a sweet painless death as a release from the pain

If we are to wait for everybody to pass through that, we will wait forever.
but there is no other way, is there?

by the way, hw u dey?
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 12:02pm On Jun 02, 2013
Avicenna:

If we are to wait for everybody to pass through that, we will wait forever.
but there is no other way, is there?

by the way, hw u dey?

Bros...I dey......just surviving in this religiously mad country
Re: Euthanasia by Avicenna: 11:31pm On Jun 02, 2013
As expected, this place is saturated already.......now the daunting task of going through the archives.
Re: Euthanasia by EvilBrain1(m): 1:55am On Jun 03, 2013
The problem with euthanasia is that some elderly or sick people may be pressured by relatives to take their own lives when they don't want to. Its not uncommon for very old people to have children who want them gone for their inheritance, or just to avoid the stress of taking care of them. I've actually been approached once by a useless guy who asked me if I could make his aged mother (my patient) pass on faster. Allowing euthanasia would give scumbags like him a legal way to get what he wanted. Old and sick people are the most vulnerable to suggestion, manipulation and pressure. It would be terrible if such people start being made to feel that they are being selfish or inconsiderate to their loved ones just by being alive.

Of course, I understand the need to help those who are suffering with terminal illnesses go out with dignity and without pain; but we should always be mindful of unintended consequences.
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:45am On Jun 03, 2013
The flying spaghetti moster told us to do what we want. So that's what I will do.
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 03, 2013
Evil Brain: The problem with euthanasia is that some elderly or sick people may be pressured by relatives to take their own lives when they don't want to. Its not uncommon for very old people to have children who want them gone for their inheritance, or just to avoid the stress of taking care of them. I've actually been approached once by a useless guy who asked me if I could make his aged mother (my patient) pass on faster. Allowing euthanasia would give scumbags like him a legal way to get what he wanted. Old and sick people are the most vulnerable to suggestion, manipulation and pressure. It would be terrible if such people start being made to feel that they are being selfish or inconsiderate to their loved ones just by being alive.

Of course, I understand the need to help those who are suffering with terminal illnesses go out with dignity and without pain; but we should always be mindful of unintended consequences.

The more reason that it should be regulated

-Does the patient himself state that he wants to die?
-Is the patient in incurable pain?
-Is he patient in a stable enough mental state to make the decision
-Has his family been notified
-Can there be three witnesses to sign the euthanasia form?

Simple tings like this can make the Euthnasia a simple process without foul play.
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:54am On Jun 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

The more reason that it should be regulated

-Does the patient himself state that he wants to die?
-Is the patient in incurable pain?
-Is he patient in a stable enough mental state to make the decision
-Has his family been notified
-Can there be three witnesses to sign the euthanasia form?

Simple tings like this can make the Euthnasia a simple process without foul play.

Will not stop abuse.

-Does the patient himself state that he wants to die? he could be coarsed by his family
-Is the patient in incurable pain? A doctor could be bribed to say so
-Is he patient in a stable enough mental state to make the decision? As above
-Has his family been notified? They are the ones organising everything.
-Can there be three witnesses to sign the euthanasia form? Easy to find if promised something in return.
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 11:35am On Jun 03, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Will not stop abuse.

-Does the patient himself state that he wants to die? he could be coarsed by his family
-Is the patient in incurable pain? A doctor could be bribed to say so
-Is he patient in a stable enough mental state to make the decision? As above
-Has his family been notified? They are the ones organising everything.
-Can there be three witnesses to sign the euthanasia form? Easy to find if promised something in return.

Seriously bro? Stop thinking with a local Nigerian mind

There are few diseases/conditions that would leave you in such incurable pain. So, Euthanasia is limited to those diseases/conditions naturally.

If then patient is in stable mental condition, would he be easily be pushed to killing himself against his will?

A psychologist and not the same doctor would have to confirm the mental state

The witnesses would be the lawyer, a family member and a govt official

So, in short one would have to bribe a lawyer, a psychologist, a govt official, a doctor (plus nurses) and also somehow make the case that the patient is suffering from a condition that he doesnt, all in order to scam the system.

The paper trail would be intersting
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:56pm On Jun 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

There are few diseases/conditions that would leave you in such incurable pain. So, Euthanasia is limited to those diseases/conditions naturally.

If then patient is in stable mental condition, would he be easily be pushed to killing himself against his will?

So, in short one would have to bribe a lawyer, a psychologist, a govt official, a doctor (plus nurses) and also somehow make the case that the patient is suffering from a condition that he doesnt, all in order to scam the system.

Your naivety is really something else. In the UK and US, some people stage accidents and end up with thousands of pounds in their pocket while they are perfectly fine. Most of the times, the following people are involved: the two drivers, their lawyers, two insurance companies, their lawyers, police, doctor, psychiatrist, physiotherapist, court officials, family members, etc.

All these people somehow fail to prevent this scam and you think that even fewer people can prevent scams where significantly more money is involved?
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jun 03, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Your naivety is really something else. In the UK and US, some people stage accidents and end up with thousands of pounds in their pocket while they are perfectly fine. Most of the times, the following people are involved: the two drivers, their lawyers, two insurance companies, their lawyers, police, doctor, psychiatrist, physiotherapist, court officials, family members, etc.

All these people somehow fail to prevent this scam and you think that even fewer people can prevent scams where significantly more money is involved?

Dont say what you dont know.

Most people are caught trying to scam insurance companies. if you want to claim over a certain amount, na detective (the firms detective) dem go send.

The people that get away with scamming insurance companies are those who claim "whiplash"....whiplash is hard to detect and it is only the patient that can claim to have pain in his or her neck.....the doctor cant prove or disprove it.....
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 7:12pm On Jun 03, 2013
^^^You just proved my point.
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 9:29pm On Jun 03, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: ^^^You just proved my point.

Fail!

Nice try but FAIL
Re: Euthanasia by Avicenna: 10:48pm On Jun 03, 2013
Evil Brain: The problem with euthanasia is that some elderly or sick people may be pressured by relatives to take their own lives when they don't want to. Its not uncommon for very old people to have children who want them gone for their inheritance, or just to avoid the stress of taking care of them. I've actually been approached once by a useless guy who asked me if I could make his aged mother (my patient) pass on faster. Allowing euthanasia would give scumbags like him a legal way to get what he wanted. Old and sick people are the most vulnerable to suggestion, manipulation and pressure. It would be terrible if such people start being made to feel that they are being selfish or inconsiderate to their loved ones just by being alive.

That sucks.
so, if one can design a 'foolproof' procedure for euthanasia(anyone suffering from terminal illnesses only),will you support it?
And the right to die?
just curious.
Re: Euthanasia by Avicenna: 10:55pm On Jun 03, 2013
Logicboy03:

Interesting.........
But, just with every law, there's always a loophole.
People may not support Euthanasia, JUST because of that.
damnnnnnnnnn, this thing can't be resolved until opinions shift in favour.
na long tin jare.
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:10am On Jun 04, 2013
On the philosophical side, what does euthanasia say about us humans? Have we reached the limit of our medical progress? Do we abandon and kill people instead of trying harder to find a cure for their illnesses? You might say that there is no cure. But a lot of curable diseases today had no cure a few years or decades ago. Why should countries invest billions into medical research if they could just euthanise the incurable?

For me personally, I think it is very bad for the individual suffering but legally killing him is very bad for mankind as a whole. Should we render our future generations hopeless in the face of diseases because we want to end the suffering of a few people? Are the interests of these few bigger than the interest of future generations?

Remember that no human suffering in this world has ever been in vain. Our ancestors had to suffer a lot of incurable sicknesses so that we have the immunity we have today to survive. Our sicknesses today are providing immunity to our offsprings. That is how nature works. If we start killing off sick people, we ultimately harm ourselves.
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:13am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: On the philosophical side, what does euthanasia say about us humans? Have we reached the limit of our medical progress? Do we abandon and kill people instead of trying harder to find a cure for their illnesses? You might say that there is no cure. But a lot of curable diseases today had no cure a few years or decades ago. Why should countries invest billions into medical research if they could just euthanise the incurable?

For me personally, I think it is very bad for the individual suffering but legally killing him is very bad for mankind as a whole. Should we render our future generations hopeless in the face of diseases because we want to end the suffering of a few people? Are the interests of these few bigger than the interest of future generations?

Remember that no human suffering in this world has ever been in vain. Our ancestors had to suffer a lot of incurable sicknesses so that we have the immunity we have today to survive. Our sicknesses today are providing immunity to our offsprings. That is how nature works. If we start killing off sick people, we ultimately harm ourselves.

Guy.....

Euthanasia is voluntary.
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:15am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Guy.....

Euthanasia is voluntary.

No. Suicide is voluntary.

For euthanasia, someone else has to do the killing.

2 Likes

Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

Guy, you get granpa wey dey hospital? grin

Sha, look up the meaning of voluntary
Re: Euthanasia by Mranony: 10:18am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

i quite like this post
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:20am On Jun 04, 2013
Mr anony:
i quite like this post

Of course, you like Anonyism.....

Anonyism; redefining already defined words to meet your argument...
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:30am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Guy, you get granpa wey dey hospital? grin

Sha, look up the meaning of voluntary

There are many meanings of voluntary but the ones that concern us, I assume is this:

voluntary. adj: Done, given, or acting of one's own free will.

What is interesting here for me, is not the owner free will but who is doing, giving or acting out that free will?
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

There are many meanings of voluntary but the ones that concern us, I assume is this:

voluntary. adj: Done, given, or acting of one's own free will.

What is interesting here for me, is not the owner free will but who is doing, giving or acting out that free will?

Doctors are not required to give euthanasia against their will. The willing ones do it at the request of a patient.

So....again how is euthanasia not voluntary?

When Anony supports you, just know that you are wrong
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:41am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Doctors are not required to give euthanasia against their will. The willing ones do it at the request of a patient.

So....again how is euthanasia not voluntary?

When Anony supports you, just know that you are wrong

If a 50 year old man seduces and sleeps with a 14 year old boy (or girl), at the request of the minor, mind you, do you find anything wrong with that?

Concerning anony, you should know that even broken clocks are correct twice everyday.
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

If a 50 year old man seduces and sleeps with a 14 year old boy (or girl), at the request of the minor, mind you, do you find anything wrong with that?

Concerning anony, you should know that even broken clocks are correct twice everyday.

14 year old girl cant give consent. A mentally stable adult can give consent. Try again

lol....at Anony grin grin grin
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:47am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

14 year old girl cant give consent. A mentally stable adult can give consent. Try again

lol....at Anony grin grin grin

At what age precisely, would you consider someone as mentally stable enough to give consent?
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:49am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

At what age precisely, would you consider someone as mentally stable enough to give consent?

say 19 and upwards
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:52am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

say 19 and upwards

So, according to you, everybody below the age of 19 cannot be euthanised even if they are hopelessly suffering extremely since childhood?
Re: Euthanasia by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:53am On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

say 19 and upwards

You are very right to be cautious in your response and avoid the requested precision.
Re: Euthanasia by Nobody: 10:59am On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

So, according to you, everybody below the age of 19 cannot be euthanised even if they are hopelessly suffering extremely since childhood?

Well, childhood diseases causing such pain are quite rare
Secondly, parents/guardians are there plus social services to give consent if the matter should arise.

Wow, I have really thought about this more than you, eh? cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Christ Embassy New Twist: Pastor Chris Removed As Trustee Of Church’s U.k Branch / Bishop David Oyedepo Says Poverty Is Not Of God. / How Did They Do The BIBLE? (BIBLIOGY)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.