Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,795 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? (781 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by mumumugu(m): 8:22pm On Jun 03, 2013
IN WROTE THE WORD WITHOUT CAPITALISING AND PEOPLE WERR ANGRY WITH ME ... IS IIT A MUST . Y
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 11:54pm On Jun 03, 2013
mumumugu: IN WROTE THE WORD WITHOUT CAPITALISING AND PEOPLE WERR ANGRY WITH ME ... IS IIT A MUST . Y

lol.
it's seriously not a big deal.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 6:18am On Jun 04, 2013
mumumugu: IN WROTE THE WORD WITHOUT CAPITALISING AND PEOPLE WERR ANGRY WITH ME ... IS IIT A MUST . Y

Hallo MMMG

I believe it's needed for clarity. It's almost like using the definite article "the" as against using "a" to refer to someone or something.

If I say 'a man' it is different from saying 'the man'...the first can be any man but the second refers to a specific man.

Now, for some persons like me who believe we have various deities, this clarity in the deity been referred to would help.

For me, when one uses 'god', I take it to be any other deity apart from the creator of the universe but when one uses the initial caps 'God' instead, then I know the individual refers to the creator of the world.

Now this rule for me can be shelved when I discuss with Atheists because then I know we discuss basically about the God I serve who happens to be the creator of the Universe.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 11:51am On Jun 04, 2013
^^^ So why is it that when I use Jizz-Us, people see it as the same as jesus, the son of god?
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 04, 2013
striktlymi:

Hallo MMMG

I believe it's needed for clarity. It's almost like using the definite article "the" as against using "a" to refer to someone or something.

If I say 'a man' it is different from saying 'the man'...the first can be any man but the second refers to a specific man.

Now, for some persons like me who believe we have various deities, this clarity in the deity been referred to would help.

For me, when one uses 'god', I take it to be any other deity apart from the creator of the universe but when one uses the initial caps 'God' instead, then I know the individual refers to the creator of the world.

Now this rule for me can be shelved when I discuss with Atheists because then I know we discuss basically about the God I serve who happens to be the creator of the Universe.

Abegi!

Your God is not so special. Muslims write god as "God" or "Allah"

"God" doesnt necessarily mean Yahweh
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Abegi!

Your God is not so special. Muslims write god as "God" or "Allah"

"God" doesnt necessarily mean Yahweh

Can you do everyone a favour and point out where in my post I mentioned Yahweh?

#If I call some people olodo na, dem go say I dey curse dem...

[size=5pt]
What da heck...OLODO!!![/size]
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
striktlymi:

Can you do everyone a favour and point out where in my post I mentioned Yahweh?

#If I call some people olodo na, dem go say I dey curse dem...

[size=5pt]
What da heck...OLODO!!![/size]

Nice try to dodge.

Are you not a christian?

Hmmm? Who is your creator of the universe?
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: ^^^ So why is it that when I use Jizz-Us, people see it as the same as jesus, the son of god?

For very obvious reasons:

Alfa Seltzer:

striktlymi:
Hmmm...I must have missed the threads you opened to praise satan...but I know I did not miss the threads you opened to mock Jesus terribly.

The two bolded are one and same thing to us Satanists.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

Nice try to dodge.

Are you not a christian?

Hmmm? Who is your creator of the universe?

The Olodo is having troubles quoting where I mentioned Yahweh.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 04, 2013
striktlymi:

The Olodo is having troubles quoting where I mentioned Yahweh.

You seem perpetually butthurt
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2013
Logicboy03:

You seem perpetually butthurt

Now who is butthurt? The one who responded to the OP or the one who came running to condemn without reading what he was condemning properly?
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 04, 2013
striktlymi:

Now who is butthurt? The one who responded to the OP or the one who came running to condemn without reading what he was condemning properly?

grin grin grin

No, the one who is denying his position and calling the other an olodo
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:30pm On Jun 04, 2013
striktlymi:

For very obvious reasons:

You just made my point : everybody knows what we are talking about when we say god. To pretend otherwise is living in denial.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Jun 04, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

You just made my point : everybody knows what we are talking about when we say god. To pretend otherwise is living in denial.

striktlymi:

[size=15pt]Now this rule for me can be shelved when I discuss with Atheists because then I know we discuss basically about the God I serve who happens to be the creator of the Universe.[/size]

Curled from my OP below:

striktlymi:

Hallo MMMG

Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Image123(m): 11:26pm On Jun 04, 2013
It's polite and courteous. One doesn't have to be rude to show untelligence.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by MrTroll(m): 11:49pm On Jun 04, 2013
Image123:
It's polite and courteous. One doesn't have to be rude to show untelligence.
what! So he should be courteous to your god only and not to others? Huh? undecided
How about we be courteous to all the other GODs out there. Fair enough?
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by UyiIredia(m): 11:50pm On Jun 04, 2013
God is a proper noun like your name, Mount Rushmore, Nigeria, Technoscape etc. The name is capitalized as a syntax rule.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by MrTroll(m): 12:05am On Jun 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia: God is a proper noun like your name, Mount Rushmore, Nigeria, Technoscape etc. The name is capitalized as a syntax rule.
1 like.

Except from now onwards all mention of God/Gods by you should be made in proper nouns, abi?
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Image123(m): 12:19am On Jun 05, 2013
Mr Troll: what! So he should be courteous to your god only and not to others? Huh? undecided
How about we be courteous to all the other GODs out there. Fair enough?
You're on overdrive, do you need to use the toilet? He the OP should be courteous and polite to fellow forum members who hold Deity in high esteem above even their parents.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by MrTroll(m): 12:31am On Jun 05, 2013
Image123:
You're on overdrive, do you need to use the toilet? He the OP should be courteous and polite to fellow forum members who hold Deity in high esteem above even their parents.
are we saying the same thing or yes How about he be courteous to Pagan9ja, Okija juju, Ifeness etc? Or on the flip side, why should he be courteous to your god? Is she anything special to him? If you call your father daddy should I call him daddy too?
What deluded sense of entitlement! angry
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Image123(m): 12:54am On Jun 05, 2013
Mr Troll: are we saying the same thing or yes How about he be courteous to Pagan9ja, Okija juju, Ifeness etc? Or on the flip side, why should he be courteous to your god? Is she anything special to him? If you call your father daddy should I call him daddy too?
What deluded sense of entitlement! angry
you really need to relax, hbp is very cheap. Read my post again till you see the light.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by MrTroll(m): 1:30am On Jun 05, 2013
Image123:
you really need to relax, hbp is very cheap. Read my post again till you see the light.
nna guy na tiger battery I de use o. You fit help me with your halogen lamp?

All I saw was that you advised the OP to be courteous to fellow forumites by addressing their gods in capital. My question is, how does being courteous mean that you have to do what they do? He can respect your right to be religious but he doesn't have to respect your religion.

Take time o! angry
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Image123(m): 2:09am On Jun 05, 2013
Mr Troll: nna guy na tiger battery I de use o. You fit help me with your halogen lamp?

All I saw was that you advised the OP to be courteous to fellow forumites by addressing their gods in capital. My question is, how does being courteous mean that you have to do what they do? He can respect your right to be religious but he doesn't have to respect your religion.

Take time o! angry
Well, that's not what i posted. Take your time, you will see the light.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by Nobody: 4:54am On Jun 05, 2013
@Op

the word God is just a title and not a name. The person holding that title (if you are talking about the creator of the world) has a name and that name is Yahweh; use it instead.

1 Like

Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by UyiIredia(m): 8:56am On Jun 05, 2013
Mr Troll: 1 like.

Except from now onwards all mention of God/Gods by you should be made in proper nouns, abi?

gods could mean Sango, Zeus, Thor etc. Indeed there are varying concepts of God as in Allah & Brahma but the reason it is proper is that God SPECIFICALLY refers to what is commonly understood (in any religious/philosophical context) to be the creator of the universe.
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by MrTroll(m): 9:36am On Jun 05, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

gods could mean Sango, Zeus, Thor etc. Indeed there are varying concepts of God as in Allah & Brahma but the reason it is proper is that God SPECIFICALLY refers to what is commonly understood (in any religious/philosophical context) to be the creator of the universe.
Why una de lie? You christians use God for your Yahweh and then use gods as a condescending term to describe other 'lesser' gods. Which one be "any religious/philosophical context"? Was Zeus not known as the chief of all the Gods? What is good for the goose is also good for the swan angry
Image123:
Well, that's not what i posted. Take your time, you will see the light.
maybe you posted in reverse english. Care to show me the light?
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by mumumugu(m): 3:59pm On Sep 20, 2017
re read
Re: Must You Capitalise When Writing 'GOD'? by HCpaul(m): 9:07pm On Sep 20, 2017
Yes
God is case sensitive.

(1) (Reply)

His Gift / Tyler Perry Laid Hands On Bishop T.D Jakes In An Holy Ghost Move / Visitor From Marine Land Spotted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.