Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,374 members, 7,829,970 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:20 PM

Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? (3415 Views)

Comparison Btw Cost Of Living In The United State And Nigeria. / Stunning Photos Taken From Plane’s Cockpit / The Life Of An Ordinary Nigerian Student In The United Kingdom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by Mudley313: 11:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
I live in a part of the States where I can't get Nigerian local food products, and never dared to carry along some before cos I know of how strict they be at the border with cheese, meat, vegetables etc. and I wouldn't want em dumped out...but i often wonder, you see all kinds of naija products when you visit texas or maryland from all kinds of soup leaves to even snail...my question is, has anyone successfully taken naija food product into the states before? if so, what particular product...i'm planning on maybe bringing that packaged ghanain fufu, probably grinded egusi in a can, and red/palm oil...wil that be ok.

edit: I think i actually have taken in grinded pepper soup spice n cray fish before but that was like 10 years ago...abeg, any helpful input will be appreciated
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by adesojiaderemi(m): 12:26am On Jun 07, 2013
Mudley313: I live in a part of the States where I can't get Nigerian local food products, and never dared to carry along some before cos I know of how strict they be at the border with cheese, meat, vegetables etc. and I wouldn't want em dumped out...but i often wonder, you see all kinds of naija products when you visit texas or maryland from all kinds of soup leaves to even snail...my question is, has anyone successfully taken naija food product into the states before? if so, what particular product...i'm planning on maybe bringing that packaged ghanain fufu, probably grinded egusi in a can, and red/palm oil...wil that be ok.

edit: I think i actually have taken in grinded pepper soup spice n cray fish before but that was like 10 years ago...abeg, any helpful input will be appreciated

My wife brought all manner of naija food, gaari ijebu,oki,eja gbigbe,amala dudu, ofada rice,iru,ata....just few months ago, except Epo pupa. Anything liquid is not advisable.

1 Like

Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by Mudley313: 1:02am On Jun 07, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

My wife brought all manner of naija food, gaari ijebu,oki,eja gbigbe,amala dudu, ofada rice,iru,ata....just few months ago, except Epo pupa.

okay. so i guess i'm not at risk of my stuff getting tossed out cos that would really suck

Anything liquid is not advisable.

so, palm oil in a bottle is not advisable?
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by nice4life: 1:12am On Jun 07, 2013
Mudley313:

okay. so i guess i'm not at risk of my stuff getting tossed out cos that would really suck

I brought palm oil, semo, dried fish, egusi, ogbono and more during my last visit, that was my first time of carrying naija food and I wont try it again grin

1 Like

Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by adesojiaderemi(m): 1:57am On Jun 07, 2013
Mudley313:

1)naija oil is full of fat.
2) remember when you check in you may not see your luggage until you get to your destination, the oil may end up spilling in the process.
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by adesojiaderemi(m): 2:06am On Jun 07, 2013
[quote author=Mudley313]

I am not promising you that, make sure rap ham well, and don't put them in your check in bag.
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by JydeOono: 2:25am On Jun 07, 2013
nice4life:
I brought palm oil, semo, dried fish, egusi, ogbono and more during my last visit, that was my first time of carrying naija food and I wont try it again grin
Please [nice4life] is the dried fish(Grinded or Whole) and do you advice the {Egusi and Ogbono}be Whole Grain Seeds or Grinded?
Also please tell me if taking Palm-Oil out of the Country is legal or not;or you bribed the Custom Official on duty before they allowed you take it inside your checked bag?
Tanx & God bless!
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by nice4life: 2:39am On Jun 07, 2013
Jyde_Oono:
Please [nice4life] is the dried fish(Grinded or Whole) and do you advice the {Egusi and Ogbono}be Whole Grain Seeds or Grinded?
Also please tell me if taking Palm-Oil out of the Country is legal or not;or you bribed the Custom Official on duty before they allowed you take it inside your checked bag?
Tanx & God bless!

Dried fish as is not grinded, egusi and ogbona grinded. PalmOil is allowed as a checkin luggage and not carry-in.You cannot put any liquid in your carry-in luggage but u can put whatever you like in your check-in luggage.

2 Likes

Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by Opoki(m): 8:43pm On Jun 07, 2013
A friends kundi and dried ponmo was thrashed at his POE in Texas, i wonder why? He's a first timer though.
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by Mudley313: 6:09pm On Jun 08, 2013
adesojiaderemi@:

1)naija oil is full of fat.

1) mr. smarty pants, i know...but naim dem dey take cook naija soup; abi u wan take olive oil cook egusi?

2) remember when you check in you may not see your luggage until you get to your destination,

2) i am not a first time traveler both in, around, and outside of the U.S (so, irrelevant contribution)

the oil may end up spilling in the process.

3)oga, i go cover am well

adesojiaderemi@:
and don't put them in your check in bag.

4) see my number 2 above, over sabi house wife
Re: Abeg, Anyone Taken Nigerian Food Product Into The United States Before? by maxtum(m): 1:48pm On Jun 14, 2013
My wifey just travelled and she did take all sort of Nigerian food except Palm oil. All you need do is for the pepper and tomato turned into paste and have them frozen like block and you can check them all in. Carrying Garri, Yam flower and all sort is allowed. Cheers.

(1) (Reply)

100 Weird Laws From Around The World / Abijan Travellers Let Us Reason Together / Which European Country Can One Enter With #800,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.