Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,582 members, 7,820,103 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland (2783 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 07, 2013
So, now there is a huge problem on Reddit/atheism.

Reddit/atheism has been one of the most popular atheist forums in America. It has been on the news numerous times and it has repsonsible for converting a lot of christians to atheism and also, it has been used to generate funds for many atheist charities. However reddit/atheism has always had a negative reputation, especially to christians who have always complained about it.

Christians on reddit have been vocal against reddit/atheism despite having their own reddit/christianity. The christians could not just leave the atheists be. They need their religion to be free of criticism.

So now, the christians have gotten the next best thing to removing reddit/atheism. The mods have now issued a new rule that says that memes should now be linked to in a self post. To understand what this means, first, we have to note that memes are the main course of reddit/atheism. Secondly, this new rule means that memes are not directly linked and now, one has to actually go to a post then click again to see a meme. While this seems insignificant, it has a lot of effect on reddit/atheism because the direct link to memes gave an easy/quick browsing of many atheist memes. Note that this move has now made it more difficult for phone browsers to enjoy the quick access to memes.

This change has gotten many reddit/atheism users angry and so much that the mods are now having a thread to discuss it on reddit. Furthermore, there has been a significant drop in the unique views of reddit/atheism posts.
=========================

This whole thing just irritates me to the core. Nairaland is not so different as I recently had a bible quiz thread for atheists banned on the grounds that it was too "sarcastic". So you can imagine how annoying it is to share the same section with christians.

Now more than ever, I believe atheists truly need an atheist section, especially with the support of Seun and and a strong atheist mod.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:42am On Jun 07, 2013
^^^ Or if christians want to be as intolerant as their muslim counterparts, give them their own sub-section as well.

I don't understand why a christian should be imposing how I chose to express myself here. Imagine, I cannot even praise and worship here the Most Holy One, Jizz-Us the 1st. Son of the living doG. I get banned whenever I mention his name. They say his name also sounds like the name of their god. Is is my fault if their god chose to answer a pagan name? Nonsense!

1 Like

Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by Nobody: 6:48am On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer: ^^^ Or if christians want to be as intolerant as their muslim counterparts, give them their own sub-section as well.

I don't understand why a christian should be imposing how I chose to express myself here. Imagine, I cannot even praise and worship here the Most Holy One, Jizz-Us the 1st. Son of the living doG. I get banned whenever I mention his name. They say his name also sounds like the name of their god. Is is my fault if their god chose to answer a pagan name? Nonsense!

Guy, while I agree with your overall point, lets not give the christians any excuse to claim persecution from us....drop the Jizz-us act and lets focus on the goal.

We truly need an atheist section. Lawd knows that you wont find me here again if we have an atheist section.

If we have an atheist section, truly, some of the foolish things that happen here wouldnt. Imagine my thread being banned for being sarcastic? I am now being told that anything I say about the bible can be censored
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 7:41am On Jun 07, 2013
Atheists on Nairaland have been given a free hand. Please drop the 'Bible Quiz' fiasco already. You are flogging a dead horse.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Atheists on Nairaland have been given a free hand. Please drop the 'Bible Quiz' fiasco already. You are flogging a dead horse.

Wow......please, let us ask atheists how free they are/feel on nairaland religion section.

See how you just came and made sweeping generalisation. Guy, do you love to expose your shallow thinking in public?
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by ckkris: 8:11am On Jun 07, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Atheists on Nairaland have been given a free hand. Please drop the 'Bible Quiz' fiasco already. You are flogging a dead horse.
Wetin atheists want to use the Bible for? Dem no get their own book?
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 07, 2013
ckkris: Wetin atheists want to use the Bible for? Dem no get their own book?

Yes, remain ignorant that some atheists were actually christians before......also feign ignorance that atheists cant discuss the bible pertaining to their experience/perspectives
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:33am On Jun 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Guy, while I agree with your overall point, lets not give the christians any excuse to claim persecution from us....drop the Jizz-us act and lets focus on the goal.

We truly need an atheist section. Lawd knows that you wont find me here again if we have an atheist section.

If we have an atheist section, truly, some of the foolish things that happen here wouldnt. Imagine my thread being banned for being sarcastic? I am now being told that anything I say about the bible can be censored

What do you mean drop Jizz-Us act and focus on the goal? That is exactly the goal. The freedom to praise and worship who I want no matter how hateful or distasteful someone else finds it. Your criticism is exactly the type of criticism Bobby Henderson got when he started with his church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster. He was even ridiculed by some of the so called atheists still harbouring one-way thinking process. Many religious people tried to get it banned. They protested against placing of the Spaghetti Monster statue outside a court where there are other statues including christian ones. In the end the rule of law triumphed.

So if people have the right to praise Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Jah, Amadioha, etc on this forum, then I also must have the right to praise my Jizz-Us. Denying me such right is bigotry and gross injustice.

If they can prevent the worship of Jizz-Us, who's next? They might one day say, "stop worshipping Satan or you be banned as worshipping Satan is offensive to christians". And I have heard the bolded said a lot of times.

1 Like

Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

What do you mean drop Jizz-Us act and focus on the goal? That is exactly the goal. The freedom to praise and worship who I want no matter how hateful or distasteful someone else finds it. Your criticism is exactly the type of criticism Bobby Henderson got when he started with his church of The Flying Spaghetti Monster. He was even ridiculed by some of the so called atheists still harbouring one-way thinking process. Many religious people tried to get it banned. They protested against placing of the Spaghetti Monster statue outside a court where there are other statues including christian ones. In the end the rule of law triumphed.

So if people have the right to praise Yahweh, Zeus, Allah, Jah, Amadioha, etc on this forum, then I also must have the right to praise my Jizz-Us. Denying me such right is bigotry and gross injustice.

If they can prevent the worship of Jizz-Us, who's next? They might one day say, "stop worshipping Satan or you be banned as worshipping Satan is offensive to christians". And I have heard the bolded said a lot of times.

Look, I agree with you.

Unfortunately, you have been warned on the Jizz-us act by the mods. So, lets fight battles we can win for now. There are times to retreat.

I prefer Jeebus.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:43am On Jun 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Look, I agree with you.

Unfortunately, you have been warned on the Jizz-us act by the mods. So, lets fight battles we can win for now. There are times to retreat.

I prefer Jeebus.

And what do you plan to do when you are told to stop saying Jeebus, as it is deemed "offensive"?
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by Nobody: 9:46am On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

And what do you plan to do when you are told to stop saying Jeebus, as it is deemed "offensive"?

Manage the butthurt and infringement of freedoms of expression in silence grin

The exact reason we need an atheist section
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:55am On Jun 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Manage the butthurt and infringement of freedoms of expression in silence grin

The exact reason we need an atheist section

Well, I'm not the type that accepts butthurt in silence.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by noblefada: 12:55pm On Jun 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Yes, remain ignorant that some atheists were actually christians before......also feign ignorance that atheists cant discuss the bible pertaining to their experience/perspectives

No u & ur fellow atheist are the ignorant ones (well maybe not ignorant as not well informed because I no dat atheists are very well read bt ignorant in knowledge of life n God)
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by chukkynwob(m): 1:07pm On Jun 07, 2013
I am of the opinion that atheist should have the freedom of expression,but Logicboy to deny the offensive undertone of your bible quiz will be plain dishonesty.

Its Atheism not anti-christianity but then its your God given right to ridicule christianity as you deem fit.

Also remember that nairaland is a business and though christians like myself have gotten to a certain level of indifference,many others get shocked just seeing ur name in a post, this in turn drives away Users and potential nairaland users.

I fully support you guys having an Atheist section,though the religion section will become quite uneventful without the incorrigible Sir LB Knight Of Spaghetti Monster.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by mazaje(m): 1:12pm On Jun 07, 2013
I disagree with you LB. . Atheist on nairaland religious section have been given a very fee hand. . .The islamic section is something else, but we have been given a very free hand here. . .One of the mods here is an active atheist. . .I have seen him remove a post that is similar to yours because he felt it was insulting and mocking towards atheist. . .Stop beating a dead horse, you win some and you lose some. . .That's how it is. .

1 Like

Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 1:17pm On Jun 07, 2013
mazaje: I disagree with you LB. . Atheist on nairaland religious section have been given a very fee hand. . .The islamic section is something else, but we have been given a very free hand here. . .One of the mods here is an active atheist. . .I have seen him remove a post that is similar to your because he felt it was insulting and mocking towards atheist. . .Stop beating a dead horse, you win some and you lose some. . .That's how it is. .

That's the problem. That atheists are considered inferior as to be tolerated and given a free hand. Who are they to give us? Why should we accept whatever those christians give? If we can't say our minds we better move or they move. Muslims moved. Christians can move as well.

I don't want any christian giving me a free hand. I was like them, a deluded christian before, so I don't know why an inferior mind should be providing my freedom.

1 Like

Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by chukkynwob(m): 1:23pm On Jun 07, 2013
@Mazaje I thought you are an atheist?

@Alfa where's all the hate coming from...
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by mazaje(m): 1:35pm On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

That's the problem. That atheists are considered inferior as to be tolerated and given a free hand. Who are they to give us? Why should we accept whatever those christians give? If we can't say our minds we better move or they move. Muslims moved. Christians can move as well.

I don't want any christian giving me a free hand. I was like them, a deluded christian before, so I don't know why an inferior mind should be providing my freedom.

Not true, NL is owned by an atheist, one of the mods here on the religious section is an atheist. . . .By free hand i mean we have been allowed to do what we want freely without persecution here on the religious section. . .All in all, the mods have been very fair and atheist are free to do what ever they want here. . .Nothing like excessive moderation unless if you violate the rules. . .

1 Like

Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by mazaje(m): 1:36pm On Jun 07, 2013
chukkynwob: @Mazaje I thought you are an atheist?

So?. .
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by chukkynwob(m): 1:49pm On Jun 07, 2013
mazaje:

So?. .

Nothing negative bro,just impressed that 'human beings' like you exist that say the truth no matter who's Ox is gored, quite different from the US Vs Them scenario we see often in this our part of Nairaland

God bless you (don't get upset oh at the blessing)

Cheers
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 2:16pm On Jun 07, 2013
mazaje:

Not true, NL is owned by an atheist, one of the mods here on the religious section is an atheist. . . .By free hand i mean we have been allowed to do what we want freely without persecution here on the religious section. . .All in all, the mods have been very fair and atheist are free to do what ever they want here. . .Nothing like excessive moderation unless if you violate the rules. . .

I don't know if you have special protection from the annointed one, but she gave you as an example of a model atheist. It may not be wholly surprising that you are defending her policy in the face of blatant abuse of power that she shows here.

We are under constant persecution. My threads have been locked for what she termed "not passing the smell test". What type of Nairaland rule is that? No, you are wrong. We are not free to do what we want here. When I questioned the sexuality of Jesus, I got banned. When I posted an image of Jesus on the cross, it got deleted. How is that being allowed to do what we want?

Logicboy opened a perfectly lawful thread and it got locked because some bigots found the comments in it offensive.
Somebody put bible quotes in front of pictures and it got locked. When I said Jesus was an illitereate because we understand illiterates as people who didn't go to school, I was told it was insulting. How can stating the obvious be insulting.

There is a littany of the mod here overeaching. If you open your eyes, you can see instead of making general statements.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by noblefada: 3:29pm On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

@alfa it is because of people like u & Logicboy dat I try 2 response to ur questions because wile u guys were xtians u did not have an encounter with the Holy Spirit or were not taught well enuf or had ur questions left unanswered. But I believe dat sud nt have bin enuf reasons to become an atheist because in Christ every question has an answer! Christ is the explanation of all things.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:32pm On Jun 07, 2013
noblefada:

@alfa it is because of people like u & Logicboy dat I try 2 response to ur questions because wile u guys were xtians u did not have an encounter with the Holy Spirit or were not taught well enuf or had ur questions left unanswered. But I believe dat sud nt have bin enuf reasons to become an atheist because in Christ every question has an answer! Christ is the explanation of all things.

It was already too much to have been a christian once. An encounter with the holy spirit would have ensured my mental incapacitation.

1 Like

Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by mazaje(m): 4:41pm On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

I don't know if you have special protection from the annointed one, but she gave you as an example of a model atheist. It may not be wholly surprising that you are defending her policy in the face of blatant abuse of power that she shows here.

We are under constant persecution. My threads have been locked for what she termed "not passing the smell test". What type of Nairaland rule is that? No, you are wrong. We are not free to do what we want here. When I questioned the sexuality of Jesus, I got banned. When I posted an image of Jesus on the cross, it got deleted. How is that being allowed to do what we want?

Logicboy opened a perfectly lawful thread and it got locked because some bigots found the comments in it offensive.
Somebody put bible quotes in front of pictures and it got locked. When I said Jesus was an illitereate because we understand illiterates as people who didn't go to school, I was told it was insulting. How can stating the obvious be insulting.

There is a littany of the mod here overeaching. If you open your eyes, you can see instead of making general statements.

I understand your complains, but to be fair some of the things your outlined are offensive. . .How can you be questioning the sexuality of Jesus and say its not offensive?. . .I have seen manmustwac delete similar post from christians from some christians that are insulting or offensive to atheist. . .By they post are quite similar to the ones you outlined. . .All in all, nairaland religious section is OK. . The mod are human and as such they most make mistakes sometimes but over all they are very ok and the atheist here should not complain. . .We are free to do what ever we want here except violate the rules. . .I am saying this as some one that has violated the laws countless times. . .I have posted offensive comments, insulted Jesus, Mohammed, Allah, Yahweh and their followers. . .There is nothing that I haven't done here either as a retort and fire back when insulted or sometimes deliberately because I want to mock or irritate someone. . .Atheists have no reason to complain here, if we have a reason I will be the first to voice it. . .
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by noblefada: 4:44pm On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

It was already too much to have been a christian once. An encounter with the holy spirit would have ensured my mental incapacitation.
Well its a pity dat u're taking this stance, the Holy Spirit will open ur mental capacity to levels you can ever imagine, esp reconciling past history with science.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 4:48pm On Jun 07, 2013
noblefada:
Well its a pity dat u're taking this stance, the Holy Spirit will open ur mental capacity to levels you can ever imagine, esp reconciling past history with science.

I'm sure it would, if given the chance. Fortunately for me, I am covered by the powers of Satan.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 5:00pm On Jun 07, 2013
mazaje:

I understand your complains, but to be fair some of the things your outlined are offensive. . .How can you be questioning the sexuality of Jesus and say its not offensive?. . .I have seen manmustwac delete similar post from christians from some christians that are insulting or offensive to atheist. . .By they post are quite similar to the ones you outlined. . .All in all, nairaland religious section is OK. . The mod are human and as such they most make mistakes sometimes but over all they are very ok and the atheist here should not complain. . .We are free to do what ever we want here except violate the rules. . .I am saying this as some one that has violated the laws countless times. . .I have posted offensive comments, insulted Jesus, Mohammed, Allah, Yahweh and their followers. . .There is nothing that I haven't done here either as a retort and fire back when insulted or sometimes deliberately because I want to mock or irritate someone. . .Atheists have no reason to complain here, if we have a reason I will be the first to voice it. . .

And you call yourself an atheist. Even among atheists, there are hypocrites. We atheists question everything. So you want us to conform to "do not question" dictates of the godly? I know that asking serious questions are offensive to single minded individuals but coming from a supposed atheist, I am very surprised. I now am sure you have an agenda.

I mean, look at these people! They are the ones that want to control our sex lives and they cite their jesus as someone to emulate. But for some reason we don't have the right to question his sexuality? WTF!?!

There is a big difference between genuine mistake and wilfull wickedness. The rules are the rules. You cannot just ban people and threads that have not broken any rules just because you subjectively find them offensive.

There is no NL rule against mocking religions! There are no NL rules that say topics must not disturb JeSoul's or any other mod's olfactory sensibilities.

We have every reason to complain and we are doing so. If you can't see the reasons, you are either hopelessly blind or a hypocrite.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by ninja4life(m): 5:17pm On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

And you call yourself an atheist. Even among atheists, there are hypocrites. We atheists question everything. So you want us to conform to "do not question" dictates of the godly? I know that asking serious questions are offensive to single minded individuals but coming from a supposed atheist, I am very surprised. I now am sure you have an agenda.

I mean, look at these people! They are the ones that want to control our sex lives and they cite their jesus as someone to emulate. But for some reason we don't have the right to question his sexuality? WTF!?!

There is a big difference between genuine mistake and wilfull wickedness. The rules are the rules. You cannot just ban people and threads that have not broken any rules just because you subjectively find them offensive.

There is no NL rule against mocking religions! There are no NL rules that say topics must not disturb JeSoul's or any other mod's olfactory sensibilities.

We have every reason to complain and we are doing so. If you can't see the reasons, you are either hopelessly blind or a hypocrite.
this guy dey vex o abeg make some1 hold am o
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by ninja4life(m): 5:17pm On Jun 07, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

this guy dey vex o abeg make some1 hold am o
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by DeepSight(m): 6:02pm On Jun 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Now more than ever, I believe atheists truly need an atheist section

And what will be discussed there?

Nothing.

Atheism is only fun in contradistinction to theism. . . . . . you will have NOTHING to discuss with your fellow atheists.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:16pm On Jun 07, 2013
Deep Sight:

And what will be discussed there?

Nothing.

Atheism is only fun in contradistinction to theism. . . . . . you will have NOTHING to discuss with your fellow atheists.

A less bigoted mod then.
Re: How Christians Destroyed R/atheism And Its Implication For Nairaland by UyiIredia(m): 7:28pm On Jun 07, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wow......please, let us ask atheists how free they are/feel on nairaland religion section.

See how you just came and made sweeping generalisation. Guy, do you love to expose your shallow thinking in public?

Last time I checked there were lots of atheist-centric threads (like this one) on the Religion section. This clearly means that atheists here are free. Make an atheist thread in Islam for Muslims section and report back to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

20 Reasons Jesus(pbuh) Is Not God / Characteristics Of The False Prophets / WHAT IS GOOD? Call To Cyrexx, Logicboy, Martian Et Al To Define Their Philosophy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.