Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,469 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:24 PM

Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview (14669 Views)

Majek Fashek@ Felabration: Dragging The Legend Back To Rehab / Majek Fashek Strips To perform At Felabration (Photos) / Majek Fashek Is Back, Leaves Rehab For The First Time (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Kaymisola(f): 8:44pm On Jun 08, 2013
Majekodunmi Fasheke, known more as Majek Fashek, is a well- known Nigerian reggae musician, whose popularity reached the zenith in the late 80s with his popular song, “Send down the Rain.” For many years, he was not only a darling of reggae music lovers, but also those who like good music. He later went to the United States of America, from where different stories trailed his life. He spoke on many issues in this interview with AJIBADE. Excerpts:

IT seems reggae music is going down in Nigeria. Unlike other genres of music, there has not been any new thing in reggae music. So, as a reggae musician, how do you intend to revive it?
Reggae music cannot go down, because reggae music is like a gospel music, we just need the right people to play it,that is it. But, why reggae music is going down is just because we don’t have the right people to play it. In our time, we had competition, Kimono, me, Oritz Wiliki, we had what I can call destructive competition like what they had in juju music then.

(Cuts in) do you mean destructive competition?
Yes, even among big musicians in those days. I was very, very impressed when I came back from America and I met my young brothers, who are into constructive competition, which never happened during our time then, no killing, no babalawo.

We came through the time of Fela, Sunny Ade, Obey, Sir Shina Peters, Barrister, Kolington, Orlando Owoh, Charley Boy, at that time, it was destructive competition and jealousy. They were very destructive and jealous. So, when I came back from America, I was very happy to see that the young guys are doing very well. And that is why Hajia has decided to invest in me and some young musicians. That is why I decided to strike a deal with Hajia because she is been trying to help musicians. The contract I signed with Aprel Management is called underground system.

So, since you returned from America, what efforts have you made to revive reggae music?
I don’t play reggae music; I play African music and rock music. I did not return to Nigeria to revive reggae music but to help Hajia Dangaji (PMAN President) become first female governor in Nigeria.

Some people are saying Majek is from Ilesa in Osun State, others are saying you are from Benin in Edo State. Can you clear the air?
My father was from Ilesa and Abeokuta, that is, my father’s parents were from Ilesa and Abeokuta, but my mother came from Benin. No mixture.

Let’s talk about friends; before Hajia came into the picture, people said your friends abandoned you. How true is that?
I came to save Nigeria.

(Cuts in) I mean how do you feel about being dumped by friends, I am not asking you why you came to Nigeria...
Hold on, forget about friends. I came to Nigeria, I am revisionary, and why do you think I am sitting down here? People are coming to enslave Nigeria again, and I am here to save Nigeria and you are here talking about friends. God sent me to come and save Nigeria, they want to come and overthrow Nigeria again through subsidy. If that subsidy succeeded. Nigerian would have died.

Your music, Send Down the Rain, was a hit then even up till now. What gave you the inspiration for that track?
It was God. God did everything. See, let me talk about Nigeria. People are suffering, people are dying and yet government is not doing anything about it. Government is expected to be paying our electricity bill, people pay their bills, yet they are not enjoying it. I want to become the president of Nigeria but I need $100 million to make that dream come true.

Is presidency for sale?
No, it’s not for sale, but I want to be a revisionary president

But I am sure if you have $100 million, you would not bother to run for presidency again?
No, I am very serious o; I want to be the president of Nigeria. We are leaving in hell in Nigeria. One doesn’t need to die before going to hell. We are already in hell in Nigeria.

You have many albums to your name. Which one will you say is your best? Many people believe Prisoner of Conscience is your best; at least he won you many local and international awards. Will you agree with that?
If people say it’s the best, then it’s the best. Apart from fetching me many awards, that album was from God, because you can never stop the rain, neither can you stop God’s creation, the wind must blow, and life must go on.

Who are your 10 greatest musicians, dead or alive?
I don’t know. I don’t know of any.

What is the difference between music then and now?
The music now is rock, as in, we are now into the music of computer, it’s an exciting thing for the youth. For me, I don’t like computer, it is too possessive, and computer is for young people. We are now into computer music.

What message do you have for people; especially those who say you are sick?
Me? I don’t have any message for anybody, the message I have for the Nigerian press is that they are going to hell.

Why? Hell? And do you know you are also including me?
Not you, but for those who always write and give false information about me and for blaspheming the prophet. Me and Jesus Christ, we are one, me I no dey follow Jesus Christ like Christian o, I am following Jesus Christ in a different way and in different form.

So, the Nigerian press that is running against the truth will go to hell, it’s not you I am referring to. Okay, who gave me rain maker? It was the Nigerian press that was good press like you. May God help you in your press profession.

It was good people like you then that gave me rain maker in the late 80s and I am sure you must be in secondary school then, abi I lie? They don’t take bribe, it is you that will use your sense to give them envelope, they don’t demand anything from you, and it is you that will give them, not them demanding for it.

But the press we have now will always demand for bribe. So, Nigerian press, no don’t let me use Nigerian press, let me say African press, is fed up because of bribery and corruption.

But would you agree with me that you are sick?
Yes, I was sick, anybody can be sick. What I have is spiritual problem which I am dealing with. Even in the Bible, it was stated that we are not fighting against flesh and blood, but wickedness in high places. I am a freedom fighter, I can never be shot like Lucky Dube, I am invincible, you can’t shoot me. I am Anikulapo.

http://tribune.com.ng/news2013/en/component/k2/item/13825-what-i%E2%80%99m-suffering-from-is-spiritual-attack-%E2%80%94majek-fashek.html
http://www.kemifilani.com/2013/06/i-have-message-for-nigerian-pressthey.html
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by braine(m): 12:59am On Jun 09, 2013
He's the one going to hell. He has a first class ticket already. grin. And who told him that young people listen to Rock music a lot in Nigeria? I don't think so. This niqqa is still sick.

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by ril19(m): 1:04am On Jun 09, 2013
hmm......me think this guy is becoming too senile to even speak in public. What an interview!

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Afam4eva(m): 1:04am On Jun 09, 2013
This guy don kolo

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by theripper3: 1:07am On Jun 09, 2013
He still gat some sanity left, though dwindling fast.

Sai RainMaker

#make I find my turntable#

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Vansnickers: 1:09am On Jun 09, 2013
But would you agree with me that you are sick?
Yes, I was sick, anybody can be sick. What I have is spiritual problem which I am dealing with. Even in the Bible, it was stated that we are not fighting against flesh and blood, but wickedness in high places. I am a freedom fighter, I can never be shot like Lucky Dube, I am invincible, you can’t shoot me. I am Anikulapo.

The Interviewer is a Ret@rd.

10 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 1:10am On Jun 09, 2013
Dude is really sick.

I want to thank God, Jesus Christ, and ZAIN for helping me secure a space here. Thanks!
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by FILEBE(m): 1:10am On Jun 09, 2013
# scratches head.
I think something is wrong somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by israel007: 1:15am On Jun 09, 2013
Dude still needs help

He's not coordinated yet

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Lagusta(m): 1:17am On Jun 09, 2013
now this guy is really, REALLY sick, and needs a full course of chlopomazine, risperidone and haloperidol, with a bout of benzhexol to curb the tardiness dyskinesia as a side effect......

wait, am I second to.........

*tears boxers and dances azonto in gangnam style!!!*

2 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Lagusta(m): 1:18am On Jun 09, 2013
now this guy is really, REALLY sick, and needs a full course of chlorpromazine, risperidone and haloperidol, with a bout of benzhexol to curb the tardive dyskinesia as a side effect......

wait, am I third to.........

*tears boxers and dances azonto in gangnam style!!!*
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by wesley80(m): 1:21am On Jun 09, 2013
braine: He's the one going to hell. He has a first class ticket already. grin. And who told him that young people listen to Rock music a lot in Nigeria? I don't think so. This niqqa is still sick.

You mean you couldn't tell the guy is really sick? Perhaps you're just as high.

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by babadey(m): 1:22am On Jun 09, 2013
Holy spirit help him,take all over him now embarassed. Majekodun oluwa.

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by johnwizey: 1:23am On Jun 09, 2013
dis baba should take it easy with Lagos weed o........President indeed....... uя fada nyanch

4 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 1:25am On Jun 09, 2013
What a sad end for drug addicts!
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 1:32am On Jun 09, 2013
He misunderstood every question includin d subsidy issue. After dis interview, pls rush him to Yaba left
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by yertyr(m): 1:34am On Jun 09, 2013
All I can deduce from the interview is that a sick man is being questioned by an even 'sicker' man.

10 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by babadey(m): 1:38am On Jun 09, 2013
send down the rain, holy spirit, little patience my best. He needs a rehad seriously cry embarassed but he refuses. When I saw him last year when he came to see a friend of his,I was shocked shocked cry. You will be scared to go near him. He's sassy,loud and any little thing Jesus christ will do that,will do this etc. embarassed embarassed. I think most of you saying rubbish are indomie generation. This guy mingled with Ziggy marley,steven or stephen marley and co. I cant jast tell you guys on here the real issue behind his fall embarassed embarassed. The fall affected him to hemp,cocaine intake. Before you judge a man try and walk a mile in his moccasin.

15 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by richiet: 1:40am On Jun 09, 2013
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by otokx(m): 1:41am On Jun 09, 2013
There is a problem somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by kufre2010: 1:58am On Jun 09, 2013
. There is sense in some of his words i can't dismiss everything as senseless. 1. The press we hv now is corrupt they wil demand bribe from u. 2. He is sick and need a spiritual solution. In his days musicians were deadly jealous. The music of this age is diff from theirs

3 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by imsuboi(m): 2:03am On Jun 09, 2013
yertyr: All I can deduce from the interview is that a sick man is being questioned by an even 'sicker' man.

GBaM!

Though I'm still wondering why Majek Fasek hasn't changed his name to Majek Fasek Monkey just like oga snoop did
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 09, 2013
I'd rather listen to Klint D Drunk than listening to this smoking-Drunk undecided
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by RickyRoss1(m): 2:24am On Jun 09, 2013
Judging from this interview the guy is sick and needs serious help, especially, spiritual guidance and counseling.

Make them carry am go TB Joshua for spiritual cleansing.

BTW He is even getting better now. Not long ago he was sleeping on the streets like a mad man.
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by NellyGhenghen(m): 2:59am On Jun 09, 2013
lool he needs 100million dollars to be the president of Nigeria??

1 Like

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 3:21am On Jun 09, 2013
I don't know much about him but
like his music smiley

4 Likes

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by fekicia1988: 3:21am On Jun 09, 2013
he seriously needs help

Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 3:30am On Jun 09, 2013
Oh boy....crackk is whack
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Donlouise(m): 4:29am On Jun 09, 2013
[b][/b]Say no to drug abuse
Re: Majek Fashek - Exclusive Interview by Nobody: 5:00am On Jun 09, 2013
200,000 naira can cure this guy but no friends or family to care for him. Take this guy to USELU Hospital Benin-City. Its free of charge, the patient only buy drugs and pay for bed.

If PMAN is sincere organization, they should have taken this legend to hospital. This is typical Nigeria hatred, wickedness and mockery will not allow them to help him; so that there will be less competition in the business.

This same thing happened to Whitney Houston and people still love and care about her. Majek Fashek deserve same. he shouldn't be left for mockery as a symbol or example of drug abuse.

33 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

See The A-listers Without Make Up. Ewww! Pictures / Cynthia Morgan Biography / Simi: ‘If You Have A Dad, Don’t Ever Take Him For Granted’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.