Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,206 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:15 AM

When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True (2224 Views)

Isn't This Car Too Good For N1.3M? See Pictures! / 2000 Nissan Maxima, Low Mileage, No Issue, Good To Go, See Pix + price reduced / Too Clean To Be True ! Going For Just N700 (pix Attached !) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 3:34pm On May 06, 2008
I don tire for "FANTASTIC DEAL" EXTRAORDINARY OFFER"

Why can we ever learn that if something is too good to be true, its because its too good to be true. shocked

Does anyone have a "Too good to be true story"

Mine is the 2005 Ferrari I found on the internet for 10,000.00 USD. Beautiful pictures. Only one problem; it doesn't run. I tot to myself, "wow, I am sure I can get the brainbox etc and get it going. BUt I also decided to to a VIN check. Revealed: FLOOD DAMAGED CAR!! I prompty forgot it. How many people have suffered in the hands of dealer who dont lie, but dont say the whole truth either, selling off accidented, cars for brand new, naigerian used for toks?? embarassed

I dont tire. Surely, I cant be the only one seeing these things. Or does the money we spend matter more to us than not being conned?? lipsrsealed

What say ye??
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by ziontrain: 3:48pm On May 06, 2008
Fotodaddy,

I agree with you 100%.  I am thinking that maybe this forum needs a moderator to sanitize the whole place. If we can't find one, I think we can do peer review by setting some standards.

First thing to do is that no one should be allowed to advertise any vehicle for sale without VIN number. It is like selling a house without having a C of O number. We already have kind-hearted people like Jenju and Brauneyes that assist nairalanders with checking out the true status of vehicles via CARFAX reports for FREE. This is great service and we need to commend those guys. I think any seller who does not feel comfortable releasing VIN number of his/her vehicle has something to hide. Here in the US. it is mandatory to display VIN number of the vehicle you are trying to sell. If we can find a way to implement this, we will have gone a long way in weeding out quacks and con men from this forum.

Let's hear from others.
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by okenwa(m): 4:03pm On May 06, 2008
you guys are right, but such is life. people find a way of disposing a problem , they hide the most important information that will enable the acquirer make sound decision.
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 4:13pm On May 06, 2008
may i beg to differ

lol

first, we may not necesarily need a moderator.

second, vin numbers should be provided for cars, but remember, if d car is from london or any european country, that vin number is rubbish, cos carfax is only US cars

thirdly, what we should do is this, if we do get a moderator or if we dont, there should be like a buying and selling guide for investors(sure we r one), if u wanna buy a car, do your due diligence on d car, dont just rush of and pay, inspect and verify, but remember what ever decision, u take , u assume full responsibilty, cos i dont see dis people forcing anyone of us to pay, so we must research, if it a US car, vin number , will be d first step, then marry carfax report with car, and see if everything is okay

second if its an european car, go with a mechanic, if u cant see clearly on your own

i guess dis is a good hint

did i differ grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by ziontrain: 4:22pm On May 06, 2008
nkc,

More vaseline to your elbow! At least we agree that if you are selling US. model vehicle, your obligation is to provide VIN number publicly so everyone will see. No need to say I will provide VIN when you come to view or I will email it to you. There is no need to hide behind any excuse. How do you do due diligence and research without VIN number for US Vehicles? For UK. Vehicles, I think I will try and take this as a project to find out if there is the equivalent of CARFAX over there. I suspect there is likely to be something somewhere.
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 4:32pm On May 06, 2008
@ziontrain

thank u very much

dat vaseline tongue tongue tongue tongue make i no lipsrsealed

yes europe should have something, i will allow u to investigate first

to me if u dont drop yur vin number straight when u post a car, then something is wrong, even if u know wan make we see, u can do it like dis, d way jenju does it, post d report hide d vin, tell d customer it will be emailed, but remeber he has seen d report without a vin, customer asks thru mail, gets d vin,and checks on his own from anoda source, it should correspond, if it does, u r one way to winning d lottery, THE SLY also checks vin along with JENJU,and odas

i may even start, grin grin

thank u
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by ziontrain: 4:38pm On May 06, 2008
nkc,

That one will also work. Nice idea.
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 4:55pm On May 06, 2008
grin

see me small boy dey make contributions to this great house, i bow in homage oh grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 9:57am On May 07, 2008
nkc:

may i beg to differ

lol

first, we may not necesarily need a moderator.

second, vin numbers should be provided for cars, but remember, if d car is from london or any european country, that vin number is rubbish, because carfax is only US cars

thirdly, what we should do is this, if we do get a moderator or if we don't, there should be like a buying and selling guide for investors(sure we r one), if u want to buy a car, do your due diligence on d car, don't just rush of and pay, inspect and verify, but remember what ever decision, u take , u assume full responsibilty, because i don't see this people forcing anyone of us to pay, so we must research, if it a US car, vin number , will be d first step, then marry carfax report with car, and see if everything is okay

second if its an european car, go with a mechanic, if u can't see clearly on your own

i guess this is a good hint

did i differ grin

While I agree with nkc, I still maintain that some of these guys are crooks. The bottom like is that if they want to hide something from you and sell you a damaged car they can very well do that. Abi you be witch?? How you go know?? and moreover, how many people actually go to confirm that the VIN they were given is the VIN on the car. You nkc, you don see the vin on your car?? No be trust you trust Jenju?? tongue

The same applies to me too.

And many other people too. Generaly we are trusting. And there is no stopping these guys from taking advantage of us.
The fact is the we are not car dealers and as such are not privy to the "insider info" that these guys have.

I know so many people have been hurt by these crooks. And its not because they didnt try to verify. But there is so much you can verify!!!

A little story; A friend of mine bought a civic which had a "factory A/C". Everything looked good from the outside. The price was also very good. In fact that was why he bought the car. 3 months down the line, the A/C start acting up and he asks me to take a look. As we opened up the dash board to where the evaporator is, we found that it had been "constructed" (ie them don work am). My friend felt so cheated. Why?? Not because he didnt get his money's worth but because he though he got more that his money's worth. lipsrsealed

This is the problem; when too good to be true is actually to good to be true
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 10:26am On May 07, 2008
@fotodaddy

u r indeed right, but remember i said, if u must buy, u must research well well, shocked if u cant go with a mechanic, me as a vw owner(it exposed me to serious mechanical knowledge and DIY, so i for one can see the unseeable, except na JUJU, but GOD dey.) so anyone that wants to buy a car should go with a trustedmechanic, it helps very well. if after everything, u later saw u bot a lemon, den at least u will say u tried, and whoever sold to u tried as well in concealing grin

now to JENJU

to be honest and point blank; when i told jenju, i want d car, d initial was just trust oh, till he sent d vin, when he sent d vin, i threw TRUST into d wardrobe, for some research, and what did i do, i scanned d vin number in some areas on d web, and funny enough( let me pause here and say this JENJU had called me before d vin post and told me how he bot d car,(auction) how much he bot it and his commision, clearing blah blah blah, i was extremely impressed, mind u i was still wearing TRUST uniform, after all d communication, he posted d vin number, back to story) i saw d auctioners site, where jenju bot d car from, i saw d car in more detail , with d same vin number, d price tag on it was d exact same prize jenju told me he bot it, ( i was shocked to my bones, that such a nigerian could be truthful in dis days, i was excited, so after research here and there, i knew that yeah d car is spotless , just as jenju has said and d auctioner has said, even d date jenju bot it, is in d carfax, and thats d same day d dealer sold it for those of u, who have d thread, i was impressed.

so wat did i do next, to be safer, i told mr JENJU pls snap extreme high quality of MY car for me, and dis he did, in d pic again, he snapped d front severally, close to d vin, and again i confirmed tht yeah d car i see, has d same vin with d carfax report, making me rest assured, SO I RAN BACK TO D WARDROBE AND WORE MY TRUST 2 PIECE SUIT( AMANI grin)

so wat r my saying in earnest, u can but try yur best, but God knows d rest, do ur best and leave d rest simple.

let me tell u, some one can even print a carfax report with a good vin, and yet d car will have anoda vin, all he has to do, is mold d plate for d new vin, and try and fix it on d old one, and u will be fooled, so u cant always win, but all we r saying is that some people are honest, and we just have to give em support and make dem keep been honest

i hope in my humour, u got my message clearly, thank u all grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by inspiredm(m): 11:24am On May 07, 2008
Though I don't normally contribute on other poster's thread 'because of very busy schedules, I'll do this.

Every Buyer of any item Owes it to themselves to do a thorough Scrutiny before Purchase,

Captivating Headlines like "GIVEAWAY, VERY CHEAP, UNBELIEVABLE" are used in Imperial Journalism Every where in the World, to catch the eyes of

Prospective Audience, even though the Product might not necessarily be cheap despite the Eye Catching Topic.

Talk about Posting VIN/ Carfax Report Online

Not up to 1% of Nigerians have the Awareness of Carfax or VIN Checks, making it easier for lots of dealers to conceal the history of the cars.

My experience on Nairaland having sold at least 30 cars on here has shown that Most of the Buyers of My cars don't post on the thread where their

interest is posted, They Call / Email, come for inspection, Do their Independent Checks, and Proceed to Purchase if Interested, and Hence so far there has

not been any Negative Feedback.

The Fact that a Car Seller doesn't post the VIN Openly / demands to be sent to Email or otherwise doesn't Negate the fact that they have Nothing to Hide.

The Nigerian System is entirely different from the US, so when people who reside Outside Nigeria make Insinuations without considering the Nigerian

Factor, it only shows How shallow they think.

If a Genuine Interested Buyer wants a Car, I personally don't think an email is too much to give out to know the History of the Car you want to buy.

Here in Nigeria, it takes 3,000 Naira to process FAKE Customs Clearance Papers, The Only Information you need to process the Full Custom Papers of a

Car is the Chasis Number ( VIN ).

Posting the VIN of a Car for Sale On the internet raises the Security Breach of that Car here in Nigeria, and I opted to stop it after my Neighbors horrible
experience.

He posted a car for sale on www.motorlinksng.com ( A Nigerian Website ) with the Full VIN, Couple of Weeks after, he received a call enquiring about the

Car, 2 days after 5 Policemen from SCID lagos came to arrest him based on a petition that the Car was stolen after its been cleared from the Port, the

Petitioner presented all Customs titles ( FAKE ) My friend also Presented his Custom Clearing Papers ( ORIGINAL ), Thanks to the Database System of the

Nigerian Customs that Vindicated my Friend, after being dehumanized, locked in the cell for 2 days, Handcuffed, Kept incommunicado etc.

The case is in Court, My friend is demanding 20 million Naira as compensation from the I G Police, for not investigating before making arrest.

Nigerian System & Factors are different from the USA where VIN are posted across with Adverts.

Bottom Line is

Do your VIN checks, Take your trusted Automobile Mechanic, to check and Scrutinize your Car before Purchase.

As we all know that there are no existing Warranties on these Cars, and the Seller is not the Manufacturer,

The Buyer Owes it to themselves to make THOROUGH checks possibly through experts before buying any Car

I will not Post my VINS along with adverts, If You like a car enough to want to buy, supply your email or send me an email, I will forward you the Carfax

Report in the shortest Possible time.

Thats my Style and thats why we're not in Trouble, Considering the Abnormal Nigerian System.

Thanks
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 11:32am On May 07, 2008
@inspired

cool write up. u said ur friend was framed cos someone got d number, what if d person still tells u pls send thru mail and u send , and d pesin still goes ahead to do fake papers what then, pls educate me smiley
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by inspiredm(m): 12:03pm On May 07, 2008
Then You Print out the copy of his email requesting the VIN from you.

That evidence automatically turns you to the Plaintiff in the Law suit
. grin grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by viperman: 12:36pm On May 07, 2008
lol @ NKC

yeye boy, I like your style. Carry on. grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by ziontrain: 12:53pm On May 07, 2008
Nairalanders,

I am enjoying this thread no be small. Can we just have some standards in our own interest on this forum. I have seen quite a number of postings with VIN numbers here and I am yet to hear of police arresting anybody. If you don't want to post VIN number, how about posting CARFAX report? That one is easy to get, at least we have good people helping to obtain this report for FREE on this forum. It's not that VIN or CARFAX is absolute guarantee that you are safe buying the car but at least it goes a long way in giving us legitimacy here - nigeria factor or no nigeria factor. We may be nigerians but we are also rational human beings. Imagine someone advertizing year 2000 car with 30,000 miles? The validity of that mileage can be determined right away by seeing CARFAX report. Carry on, Nairalanders!
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 1:00pm On May 07, 2008
@viperman

no mind me,jo. i be proper naija boy.

@inspired

cool thinking ( but how can u pin point d email to him, if its not his name and remember that ip numbers can't point at a person directly ) all am saying , u cant have it your way all d time, hope am right grin grin grin grin grin

@zion,

my post can be a part of d standard grin grin grin grin grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 1:42pm On May 07, 2008
@inspired & viperman

From what you guys are saying, as dealers, the bottom line is "BUYER BEWARE".

It is easy, as a dealer, to say "I am not the manufacturer" or "I am only the seller" but I tell you guys, some dealers are even giving warranties on fairly used cars (and posting this on the forum). Also I beg to disagree on the fact that some of you guys don't know what is going on. How can you offer a car for sale if you haven't satisfied yourself that what you are offering will not soil your name.

I resently went to inspect a car for a friend, that was posted on the forum, as a 6 month old used in naija car. Even though I am not a dealler I could see that thia car was a dog. Worn doen brake pedal, tampered with odometer, tampered with airbag system etc. And the dealer in question told me it was so good. WQell not for me. Some other person will not see these things. And if the dealer says he did not know, then he is not fit to be a dealer.

Guys lets be real. I challenge every dealer on this forum, Which of you can say confidently, that you knew something was not OK with a car but you still went ahead to sell it. cool
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 1:46pm On May 07, 2008
@fotodaddy

This your challenge too much, grin grin grin oya who will start first grin grin grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by jenju(m): 2:09pm On May 07, 2008
fotodaddy:

@inspired & viperman

Guys lets be real. I challenge every dealer on this forum, Which of you can say confidently, that you knew something was not OK with a car but you still went ahead to sell it. cool

Good thread guys. Keep it up.

fotodaddy: What matters is full disclosure. There are no perfect cars, but we dealers owe it to our customers to disclose any known defect. It is certainly in everyone's interest. Our integrity and reputation is worth more than gold , I mean platinum (gold don dey lose value sef). Selling a car with known defects is not only dishonest but plainly wrong.
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 2:13pm On May 07, 2008
jenju:

Good thread guys. Keep it up.

fotodaddy: What matters is full disclosure. There are no perfect cars, but we dealers owe it to our customers to disclose any known defect. It is certainly in everyone's interest. Our integrity and reputation is worth more than gold , I mean platinum (gold don dey lose value sef). Selling a car with known defects is not only dishonest but plainly wrong.

SECONDED
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by babeisme: 2:53pm On May 07, 2008
I totally agree with inspired m, u guys should not forget that nigeria is very different from America, we always seem to forget that.  just because it is okay to give out VINs in yankee does not you can do it in naija without any issues. You have to be extra-way-more-very-very careful when dealing with nigerians (xcuse my english). I was thinking about the vin number postings too even before someone mentioned it that "how safe is it to do this is nigeria?". Everyone has a point but the most important thing is that we should all be human enough to treat others the way we would like to be treated. Would you like to buy a shit  car (xcuse my french), for a huge amount of money under the pretence of it being "a good deal?", if not, then Dont sell such to others.

Inspired m, whats ur email address, we need to talk, its B. i need to send you some stuffs.
And by the way, i am very impressed by this website/forum, i never knew such existed until recently. Kudos nigerians.
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 2:57pm On May 07, 2008
fotodaddy:

@all the dealers on the forum

All the dealers are all quiet now!!! cool Why kwanu tongue
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 3:00pm On May 07, 2008
all u guys talking about vin have provoked me again, i dont like been provoked

now inspired said something about keeping vin mute, i gave him two instances, he trashed one and will come back and trash d oda,

now babes has come again with it, let me ask u my friend , r u a nigerian if yes, what stops u from going about and copying peoples vin numbers from there car from d windsheild, cos its written there boldly, what stops u, every car has its own on d windshield, so pls stop that vin crap, i hate it, just say God should protect us.

example, i was watching nta two days back, and in lagos a woman said she saw her plate number on anoda car and both of them have correct papers, so pls naija is bad enuf, but we must try to change it, and stop tagging along with it.

hope u get my drift, VIN IS NOT HIDDEN, I CAN GO TO AN ESTATE AND COPY ALL D VINS FOR ALL I CARE grin grin grin grin
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 3:13pm On May 07, 2008
who be this babeisme sef!!! wey be say na only 3 post e don ever post!!

E be like say na dealer in disguise. cool
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by ziontrain: 3:41pm On May 07, 2008
Fotodaddy, you just spoke my mind. These guys are making me think I am crazy!! Can somebody just tell me the security risk in posting CARFAX report or VIN number - haba!! If you have nothing to hide, post CARFAX report and/or VIN number and all secret of the car will out in the open thereby giving us legitimacy on this forum. Why can't we just learn to be honest and do the right thing. Being Nigerians is not an excuse for us to continue doing business in the filth of dishonesty abi?

You only need to see some of the recent CARFAX reports posted on the forum e.g. :

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-132382.0.html
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 5:14pm On May 07, 2008
Jenju,
why e be say na only you (as car dealer) wey fit talk something.

Meanwhile, my challenge still stand

If fact I dey go start another thread. For the continueation of this, please check the thread, "CAR DEALERS, ECONOMICAL WITH THE OFFERS AND TRUTH"
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by brauneyes: 6:00pm On May 07, 2008
fotodaddy:

All the dealers are all quiet now!!! cool Why kwanu tongue

I must say that personally as a dealer I CANNOT sell a car that has problems without letting the buyer know before hand. One thing we all should note is that majority of the car dealers on this forum are professionals in their respective fiels and only sell cars to augment income and hobby.
Personally, my professional industry is one of the most regulated here in the states. The SEC.
My fingerprints are with the federal authorities and it's several regulatory agencies, i CANNOT defraud any one as that would spell doom. Licenses could be revoked and maybe jail sentence.
So my people, you have to know who you are dealing with.
There are many websites you could report instances of fraud or attempted fraud.
It all boils down to "Know your Customer" Customer Beware"
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 6:07pm On May 07, 2008
@brauneyes

its been a while, nice 2 see u smiley
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by brauneyes: 6:09pm On May 07, 2008
nkc:

@brauneyes

its been a while, nice 2 see u smiley

My broda! I had a License recertification and took some time off to study. How u dey?
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by fotodaddy: 6:11pm On May 07, 2008
Brauneyes, you have proven that you a principled individual who values integrity. smiley

And I am sure I cannot say the same of other dealers on this forum. angry
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by nkc(m): 6:12pm On May 07, 2008
am very fine mr bro, we need educated minds like u around, to direct us oh
Re: When Is "too Good To Be True", Too Good To Be True by brauneyes: 6:18pm On May 07, 2008
@fotodaddy
I could say the same thing. I decided to communicate with Fotodaddy when i knew that he is a professional and furthermore his email to me was not yahoo or hotmail( you guys know what i mean)

@nkc
thanks men, we all are educated minds check out people like you, fotodaddy, jenju, viperman not to mention Ivvie and others too numerous to mention. You guys are all honorable men, i bow in salute

(1) (2) (Reply)

Neat Mercedes Vboot - N280,000 For Quick Sale (REDUCED) / Bmw Z4 Almost Brand New / 2001 Camry - "droplight" - Registered - For Dash! SOLD !!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.