Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:54 AM

Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? (1173 Views)

Lawyer With Knowledge Of Legal Advisory / What Is Business Plan? / Career Advisory Team (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 5:27pm On May 08, 2008
Hi all,

I live in the UK and I have been working in advisory roles most of my career of about 3.5 years.

I am contemplating the opportunity of moving back to Nigeria and working in executive advisory within any industry.

My questions are:

1) Is this seen as an important and elite function in Nigeria as it is in UK?

2) What is the Salary range I should be looking at for this function and at what grade should I accept from recruiters? (N.B: I have done this for blue chip firms. Please any opinion on this should indicate what industry (if possible, the company) the figures you are quoting are for)

3) Which industries are vacancies likely to be available in? Considering that most international conglomerates are likely to develop the emerging markets SBU approach from their western headquarters and prescribe implementation to respective SBU in Africa with limited flexibility?

4) I only have a BSc. No Masters, MBA or Phd but with the reputation of the firms that have recruited me in this corporate elite role in the UK, I find lack of these qualifications has been no major hinderance for me in the UK. Would lack of these be an issue in Nigeria?

5) What are the work hours like for advisory officials in Nigeria?

Much Thanks.
Re: Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by opokonwa(m): 3:52pm On May 13, 2008
In Nigeria, the job wey you see you do.
All these strategy talk na dogwo tunranshi
Such narrow lines of career hardly exist. Either remain in the UK or come to Nigeria and do any professional work you find
Re: Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 8:52am On May 16, 2008
Hi opokonwa,

Actually Business advisory career is not a narrow career. Just like Marketing, Procurement, Project Management etc you can work in it across a wide range of industries.

The bigger, more dynamic and more complex an organisation's activities get, the more they would need a dedicated analytics division.

The only concern I have is that big companies in Nigeria are mostly multinationals and the gist is that they tend to do all their strategy work from their western bases and dessiminate instructions for implementation to their Nigerian arm.

So that leaves only the likes of the banks, Oando, Transcorp, Dangote, Glo etc.
Re: Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by abujabooks(f): 11:05am On May 21, 2008
During my MBA programme, we were taught that, every business needs STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT. So, pick an industry and they will need your services.

Good luck.
Re: Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by uchetobi(f): 9:28am On May 23, 2008
Strategy in Nigeria is hot cake, PWC, Accenture, KPMG all have business advisory units that deal with strategy, Nextzon Business Services has a very strong strategy units and they arre sweeping most of the strategy jobs in Nigeria now, Go to their website and apply,

I work for one of those companies i mentioned

But the hours are really crazy i assure you, deadlines are crazy,

For your experience in my office you will be on bout 6Million per annum
Cheers
Re: Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by Sagamite(m): 12:06pm On May 26, 2008
Thanks, Uchetobi.

That salary figure is quite low for me, I earned far more than that in my first job. And I would have taught the global brands were the top payers.
Re: Is Business Advisory Hot In Nigeria? by uchetobi(f): 1:06pm On May 26, 2008
if its about the money, then consulting is the wrong place for you, at least in Naija,

Try the banks or oil company

Cheers

(1) (Reply)

Shell / 40% Of U.K Graduates Without Graduate Jobs 2 Years After Graduation! / Five Career Choices That Could Hurt You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.