Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,437 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? (1310 Views)

Yoruba Language Is The Most Influential Nigerian Language Outside Nigeria. / Which Nigerian Language Is The Easiest To Learn? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by zarazara: 12:24am On May 09, 2008
Do you actively use a Nigerian language in your everyday lives? Are you proud of the fact that you can speak a Nigerian language or do you prefer English? What do you think of people who can't speak their native tongue? Or people who live abroad and who don't speak their language to their children? Or even Nigerians in Nigeria who have children that only understand English? Do you think people shun their native languages, because English is a more "cultured" or "sophisticated" language?
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by echelon(m): 6:24pm On May 23, 2008
these are more like exam questions!  grin

I juta isi nkita, I were agba ya mee gini?
If you get the answers, what will you do with it?
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by zarazara: 12:06am On May 25, 2008
Mo bere ni to ri pe awon kan wa ti won fe so ede won ni ajo
I ask because there are some people that do not want to speak their language in a strange man's land.

Everyone has their reasons but the way I see it is this. I see chinese people speak their language fluently, even their kids speak. Indians nko, na same situation. But some Nigerians I have seen sometimes only speak English and speak English to their children, I just think that we shouldn't let the languages of Nigeria become endangered, so to speak, when the next generation may not even know how to speak it, I am proudly Nigerian and love the fact that we all can speak the Yoruba language even though we live outside of Nigeria.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by oziomatv(m): 8:51am On May 25, 2008
O na bu onye suo asusu ala ya, nke ka nke ndi si na ha jere akwukwo rie nne e were onye ahu ka obu onye na ejero akwukwo, ya mere otutu wee were oyibo ka obu asusu ya ka osorokwa na otu.
(translate)
If one stick to his native language the most educated once especially will take the person as an illiterate, so many decides stick to English as if it's his/her native language just to belong to the class.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by echelon(m): 9:24am On May 25, 2008
zarazara:

I just think that we shouldn't let the languages of Nigeria become endangered, so to speak, when the next generation may not even know how to speak it.

Gbam!!! True talk.

Personally, I speak English only in the office or when am with people that don't understand Igbo language. Any other times, Igbo all the way.

oziomatv:

If one stick to his native language the most educated once especially will take the person as an illiterate, so many decides stick to English as if it's his/her native language just to belong to the class.
Consider someone as illiterate just because he/she speaks his/her native language? Unacceptable. Afterall, English is a native language to the english.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by oziomatv(m): 9:55am On May 25, 2008
echelon:

Consider someone as illiterate just because he/she speaks his/her native language? Unacceptable. Afterall, English is a native language to the english.

Colonial mentality influences our day to day reasoning in Nigeria making culture and tradition to looks local.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by echelon(m): 10:35am On May 25, 2008
If I got you right, you meant that "colonial mentality influences our day to day reasoning in Nigeria making culture and tradition to look local unfashionable"?

Sure it is local. But for me, it's one of my drives. Let colonial mentality influence those it will influence. qed
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by oziomatv(m): 1:23pm On May 25, 2008
echelon:

If I got you right, you meant that "colonial mentality influences our day to day reasoning in Nigeria making culture and tradition to look local unfashionable"?

Sure it is local. But for me, it's one of my drives. Let colonial mentality influence those it will influence. qed
         TRY TALK TO A GIRL FROM YOUR VILLAGE WITHOUT ADDING ENGLISH.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by ifyalways(f): 1:28pm On May 25, 2008
oziomatv:

only a village girl would assume that because a man from same village as her that approached/talked to her with the local native dialet is uneducated.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by oziomatv(m): 1:49pm On May 25, 2008
ifyalways:

only a village girl would assume that because a man from same village as her that approached/talked to her with the local native dialet is uneducated.
Is it not happening here in Nairaland, when some will tell you plain that you're an illiterate because you made a typo error. to talk of responding in Pigeon english, less to talk of Igbo language.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by ifyalways(f): 1:54pm On May 25, 2008
oziomatv:

Is it not happening here in Nairaland, when some will tell you plain that you're an illiterate because you made a typo error. to talk of responding in Pigeon english, less to talk of Igbo language.
who cares about faceless people?you do? I don't  cool
i wud speak english to you if its the only means of communicating with you.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by oziomatv(m): 1:58pm On May 25, 2008
ifyalways:

who cares about faceless people?you do? I don't cool
i can only speak to you in english if thats the only means of communicating with you.

Me? care for who? except am looking for a housegirl.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by ifyalways(f): 2:10pm On May 25, 2008
oziomatv:

Me? care for who? except am looking for a housegirl.

hmmmmmn  undecided
@Topic,whatever language one feels comfortable with,fluent with it and the addresse understands too,lol let it flow jare.As for me and my household speaking  of igbo,Ijaw,french,Urhobo and Itsekiri languages is compulsory.  cheesy
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by echelon(m): 3:56pm On May 25, 2008
oziomatv:

Talking from experience grin
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by oziomatv(m): 6:29pm On May 25, 2008
echelon:

Talking from experience grin

No, am not a victim besides there are things that make woman lay low to a Guy, I boast on that.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by davidif: 8:05pm On May 25, 2008
Thank God that i am Yoruba, we speak our language fluently here in yanki, my other Nigerians here don't speak there native languages like the minorities from the delta region or the midwest (Edo). What a shame.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by zarazara: 6:01pm On May 26, 2008

I think that's sad. Yes, sure, if someone wants to be a part of the so-called class system, I think they should go for it but their quest for acceptance should not be at the peril of their native tongue or even more, to the detriment of future generations? That would be totally ignorant, and even selfish some. I know people who wished they had taught their children how to speak their language now that the kids are grown and can't even understand 'hello' in their parent's language. In fact, other nationalities are so proud of their languages and would happily speak it to their children. Think Chinese, Somali, Indian, French, Italian etc,
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by davidif: 6:06am On May 29, 2008
I speak my native language and i make sure that i use the authentic (so called local) accent to show how much i love my country and i am educated.
Re: Who Actively Uses A Nigerian Language? by redsun(m): 6:19am On May 30, 2008
We are losing our mentality,language,religion,culture,gbogbue,to the west,and lose all these things,you lose the fundamentals,thus the chaos in africa today.We don't have true sense of anything anymore,because we don't see things originally anymore,rather it's second handed,copycats,our windows to  the world seems to be whiteman's windows,we are neither blacks nor whites.

We need a dynamic culture that we can propagate, to see the world in your eyes and at the same time be scientific.

(1) (Reply)

What Exactly Is Eye Service? / Olubadan Of Ibadan, Oba Saliu Adetunji Visits Former Head Of State Obasanjo / !!!superior!!! !!!BEST Love Spell)) 0027810621161 Healer Lost Love Spells Caster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.