Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,158 members, 7,818,517 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

The Afar People (redone) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Afar People (redone) (65059 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Afar People (redone) by wirralite: 9:40pm On Oct 31, 2013
I'm interested in learning more about the Djib Afar singer Abdallah Lee - what was his background, what were his achievements, how is he remembered in Djibouti, why is he not better known internationally.
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 2:22pm On Nov 01, 2013
Good questions. but i am not prepared to answer them all atm.
I dont know much about him tbh.
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
Faces of the Afar smiley

So I was literally just listening to my "afar" music playlist on yt when i saw a video.
I decided to click it and saw what appear to be rare pictures of some afar tribesmen.
I saved them and decided to post them on here. smiley

[size=18pt]@terrycarr feel free to copy/paste these on your thread bro. smiley[/size]

yes his teeth have been sharpened.

source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atO5l2QV_0o
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 11:03pm On Nov 01, 2013
What is interesting about the Afar is no matter how "modern" they get, they never seem to be able to lose their
uniqueness. lol they have this "ancient" vibe about them or as one person called it "archaic" cheesy

No disrespect tho smiley
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 11:06pm On Nov 01, 2013
More info coming soon. kiss
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:32am On Nov 02, 2013
[size=18pt]Afar Triangle[/size]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afar_Triangle

The Afar Triangle (also called the Afar Depression) is a geological depression that is caused by the Afar Triple Junction which is part of the Great Rift Valley. It overlaps Eritrea, Djibouti and the entire Afar Region of Ethiopia. The depression is bordered by the Ethiopian Plateau and escarpment to the west, by the Danakil block to the north-east (between it and the Red Sea), by the Somalian Plateau and escarpment to the south, and by the Ali-Sabieh block (adjoining the Somalian Plateau) to the south-east.[1][2] The Afar Triangle includes the lowest point in Africa, Lake Asal (155 metres or 509 feet below sea level) in Djibouti. The Awash River is the main waterflow into the area, where it ends in a chain of lakes that increase in salinity. The northern part of the Afar Triangle is also known as the Danakil Depression.[2] Dallol in the Danakil Depression is one of the hottest places year-round anywhere on Earth.

The climate varies from around 25 °C (77 °F) during the rainy season (September–March) to 48 °C (118 °F) during the dry season (March–September).
shocked

Afar is well known as one of the cradles of hominids, containing the Middle Awash, site of many fossil hominid discoveries such as Ardi, (Ardipithecus ramidus); the Gona (Gawis cranium), site of the world's oldest stone tools; and Hadar, site of Lucy, the fossilized specimen of Australopithecus afarensis.

[img]http://www.vulkaner.no/n/africa/pics/map-danakil2.jpg[/img]

The afar triangle is literally sitting on the point which the inevitable great rift valley split in east africa will begin.

more info coming soon!!
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:34am On Nov 02, 2013
[size=18pt]Environment[/size]

The lowlands of the Afar Depression are affected by heat and drought. There is no rain for most of the year, and yearly rainfall averages range from 100 to 200 millimetres (4 to 7 in), with less rain falling closer to the coast.

The Awash River, flowing north-eastward through southern Afar, provides a narrow green belt and enables life for the flora and fauna in the area and for the Afars, the nomadic people living in the Danakil desert. About 128 kilometres (80 mi) from the Red Sea, the Awash ends in a chain of salt lakes, where its water evaporates as quickly as it is supplied. shocked shocked shocked

About 1,200 km2 (460 sq mi) of the Afar Depression is covered by salt, and salt mining is still a major source of income for many Afar tribes.

The Afar Depression biome is characterized as desert scrubland. Vegetation is mostly confined to drought-resistant plants such as small trees (e.g. species of the dragon tree), shrubs, and grasses. Wildlife includes many herbivores such as Grevy's Zebra, Soemmering’s Gazelle, Oryx Beisa and, notably, the last viable population of African wild ass (Equus africanus somalicus). Birds include the ostrich, the endemic Archer's lark (Heteromirafra archeri), the Secretary Bird, Arabian and Kori bustards, Abyssinian Roller and Crested Francolin.

In the southern part of the plain, in Ethiopia, lies the Mille-Sardo Wildlife Reserve (established 1973). Many fossils have been found in the Awash region, not only hominids but also elephantoids, crocodiles and hippopotamus.
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:39am On Nov 02, 2013
@Kid & Papa
i see you guys poking your heads in the thread wink
please if you guys have anything you'd like to add please feel free smiley

this is some fascinating stuff!! cheesy
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:43am On Nov 02, 2013
[size=18pt]Geology[/size]

The Afar Depression is the product of a tectonic triple junction (the Afar Triple Junction), where the spreading ridges that form the Red Sea and the Gulf of Aden emerge on land and meet the East African Rift. The central meeting place for these three pieces of Earth's crust is around Lake Abbe. The Afar Depression is one of two places on Earth where a mid-ocean ridge can be studied on land, the other being Iceland.

[size=14pt]In the Depression, the Earth's crust is slowly rifting apart at a rate of 1–2 centimetres (0.4–0.8 in) per year along each of the three rifts which form the "legs" of the triple junction.[/size] The immediate consequence of this is that there are (as of late 2005) a continuous sequence of earthquakes, fissures hundreds of metres long and deep appearing in the ground, and the valley floor sinking as much as 100 metres.

Between September and October 2005, 163 earthquakes of magnitudes greater than 3.9 and a volcanic eruption occurred within the Afar rift at the Dabbahu and Erta Ale volcanoes. 2.5 cubic kilometers of molten rock was injected into the plate along a dyke between depths of 2 and 9 km, forcing open an 8 meter wide gap on the surface, known as the Dabbahu fissure.[3][4] Related eruptions have taken place in Teru and Aura woredas. The rift has recently been recorded by means of three-dimensional laser mapping.[5]

The salt deposits which local people mine for income were created, over the course of history, as water from the Red Sea periodically flooded the Depression and evaporated; the most recent such flood was roughly 30,000 years ago.[6] Over millions of years, geologists expect the Red Sea to erode through the highlands surrounding the Afar Depression and flood the valley. In about 10 million years, geologists predict that the whole 6,000 km length of the East African Rift will be submerged, forming a new sea as large as the Red Sea is now, and separating the Horn of Africa from the rest of the continent.[7]

[CHOKL8 SAYS cheesy: the last line is what happened to Madagascar and India.]

back to wikipedia facts:

The floor of the Afar Depression is composed of lava, mostly basalt. One of Earth's five lava lakes, Erta Ale is found here, as well as Dabbahu Volcano. It has been proposed that the Afar Depression is underlain by a mantle plume,[citation needed] a great upwelling of mantle that melts to yield basalt as it approaches the surface.
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:45am On Nov 02, 2013
The Denakil Afar Depression Ethiopia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic54PSuQwLE

the afar ppl are soldiers! grin
if you can survive there, you can survive anywhere! shocked
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:53am On Nov 02, 2013
this is part two of another documentary.
i posted this because unlike part one it gets to the point tongue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6vwa0_pKk

BIRTH OF AN OCEAN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoV4qSwg7nc

on the end it shows how the rift will occur

looks Ethiopia and eritrea will still be part of the continent.
hopefully the afar will relocate to the west (further into both countries) before it happens lol
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 12:59am On Nov 02, 2013
Here is a list of places where hominin fossils were found in Africa smiley
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hominina_fossils

Selam Australopithecus (found in Ethiopia)

Kenya, Tanzania, and Ethiopia dominate the list tongue
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 1:35am On Nov 02, 2013
Brave man. That's hot sulfur!!

The Danakil Depression

Dallol (@ The Danakil Depression)

Erta Ale in May 2008

sources:

onestep4ward.com
boundlessethiopia.com
wikimedia.org
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 4:38pm On Nov 04, 2013
The young girls are chanting "racitte dhadhe"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPDBwn0Ut8

unfortunately, i forgot what it means. tongue
but it is related to the kekee dance.
Re: The Afar People (redone) by Nobody: 5:34pm On Nov 04, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZBAmd3wHg4

a music video. you can see their struggle btn maintaining the old ways
and acceptance of "modernization".

[size=1pt]yall better not laugh @ the boy's MJ style outfit[/size]

truth be told, i don't like the idea of them being westernized. The Afar ppl
are so unique that western clothing looks weird on them. This is just my opinion anyway. tongue

1 Like

Re: The Afar People (redone) by AfricasSon: 10:08pm On Mar 19, 2015
Afar are a very interesting people They have some beautiful women for some reason they kind of remind me of the fulani more the wodaabe to be exact very beautiful.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ile-ife, Final Rest Place Of Oba Of Benin? (picture). / Throwback Photo Of Ooni Of Ife With The Ladies / Naomi Oluwaseyi, Ooni’s Wife, Prophesied Her Reign As Queen Over A Year Ago?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.