Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,203 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper (23440 Views)

Herbalist Kidnaps Girls In Calabar, Turns Them To Sex Slaves (pictured) / Baby Disappears Mysteriously During Naming In Ogun / Billionaire Couple Mysteriously Burn To Death In Onitsha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by free2ryhme: 5:32am On Jun 19, 2013
BY JOHNBOSCO AGBAKWURU
ABUJA — Pension money withdrawn from a second generation bank by a 24-year-old woman for the upkeep of his ailing father mysteriously turned to pieces of newspapers after she alighted from a commercial taxi in Calabar, the Cross River State capital.

The woman who pleaded anonymity told Vanguard that she had gone to the bank located at Murtala Muhammed Highway, Calabar Road, to withdraw N70,000.00 but later discovered to her surprise that the money which she wrapped in a black cellophane bag before boarding a taxi had turned to pieces of paper.

The bewildered lady while narrating the incident to policemen on duty and concerned commuters amidst tears, said after making the withdrawal she boarded the taxi to Watt Market to buy some items.

According to her, after the withdrawal she stopped a commercial taxi with four passengers behind and one in front and she was asked by the driver to squeeze herself in the front seat.

As she was about to enter the front seat, a male in front came down for her to go in. Not suspecting anything, she entered and sat close to the driver, while the male passenger entered and sat by the door.

She said: “When I got in, the other man followed and was telling me to adjust. The driver, in pretext of helping me to sit well kept pulling my left hand that held the black polythene bag containing the money.

“In a short while, the driver said there was no space for me, that I should alight. Moments after I alighted, after the car had zoomed off, I experienced coldness when i realised that the polythene bag was now lighter”

The woman further said to clear her doubt, she reached for the bag only to discover that her father’s pension money had turned to pieces of paper.

She said she immediately stopped another taxi to go after the earlier one and when she could not catch up with it, she stopped and reported the matter to policemen.

She told Vanguard that she was afraid of telling her ailing father what happened, saying the father might drop dead.

To salvage the situation, she said she decided to borrow the money from her friend with the hope of paying back latter.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/06/n70000-mysteriously-turns-to-pieces-of-paper/
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Acidosis(m): 5:51am On Jun 19, 2013
I believe her story..

African magic things.

6 Likes

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Omexonomy: 6:58am On Jun 19, 2013
I have withness such thing before.

1 Like

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Dreal1247: 7:04am On Jun 19, 2013
Really pathetic. I once had a similar experience. Only that my abi was not containing cash then. I boarded a cab heading for Uniport. The cab was having 4 passengers and i was asked to join the one on the front seat. Hongegately the vehicle started moving, the driver started feigning uncomfortable with the presence of two of on the passenger's seat. He started adjusting the seat. He now collected my bag as if it was the problemsmiley they now moved a little further and i was told to alight without collecting the fare. It was then that i understood that all that they were doing were to collect cash from my bag but there was none. They monitored the woman. Its really unfortunate indeed.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by angelTI(f): 7:08am On Jun 19, 2013
This is so pathetic. Really feeling for the woman and her ailing father

2 Likes

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by lifestyle1(m): 2:38pm On Jun 19, 2013
shocked
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Regiblinkz(m): 2:40pm On Jun 19, 2013
419 tinz...

1 Like

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by supaeagles(m): 2:41pm On Jun 19, 2013
I think the "magic" part is actually an illusion (money turning to paper). What may have simply happened is a "switch" which was very deftly carried out by the heartless perpetrators. I pity the victims - it is indeed sad for people to lose money that they are relying on for their daily bread.

7 Likes

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Abujafood: 2:42pm On Jun 19, 2013
When I was in Secondary School I experienced a similar thing but this time it was my pocket that was picked! That was in Oshodi in 2000.

Sometime in 2012, a lady in Abuja was on her way to FRSC head office. Her money and ATM card mysteriously disappeared from her purse after alighting and she only realized this after the taxi had zoomed off!

How these thieves succeed in stealing people's money without them even knowing still baffles me till date.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by immkels(m): 2:43pm On Jun 19, 2013
Smh! This things actually happen, I ve seen a friend whom they swaped his laptop wid marble.

1 Like

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by plainmirror(m): 2:44pm On Jun 19, 2013
GEJ y naa?
grin
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by rozayx5(m): 2:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
speech less, see what Nigeria has turned into, God help us
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by miky(m): 2:45pm On Jun 19, 2013
Am not dumb or gullible enough to believe such Bull wink wink.. she had better return that money or retrace her steps, its funny how these things dont happen in more civilized parts of the world..utter rubbish

3 Likes

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by DJDOLA(m): 2:46pm On Jun 19, 2013
Singing in femi kuti voice....AM SORRY SORRY OOO AM SORRY FOR AFRICA AM SORRY SORRY OOO AM SORRY FOR NIGERIA AM SORRY SORRY OOO
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by MrAladin: 2:47pm On Jun 19, 2013
na wetyn we dey see 4 cali oooo. Six passengers insyd one taxi.. Even if dem dey slaughter person insyd d cab nobody go know
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by philips70(m): 2:49pm On Jun 19, 2013
rozayx5: speech less, see what Nigeria has turned into, God help us

More than a hundred year old trick by local fraudsters. Even in Israel in the old bible times

2 Likes

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by vislabraye(m): 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
Black magic at work. I pity the girl. One has to be very careful. These things don't only happen in Lagos. PH and SS zones are de worst.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Inoknowbook: 2:50pm On Jun 19, 2013
The woman enter 'one chance' be that! Sorriooo.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by IAMBREEZY: 2:51pm On Jun 19, 2013
True
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by francis247(m): 2:52pm On Jun 19, 2013
End shall never wonder. I see nothing but a smooth switch.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by everyday: 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2013
Is it a mystery or did a thief take her money and replaced it with papers.There must be a logical explanation to this
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Beaf1: 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2013
@immkels:
Smh! This things actually happen, I ve seen a friend whom they swaped his laptop wid marble.

This one ^ almost got me rolling on the floor. Marble? Imagine carrying/guarding a piece of marble thinking it's my lappy withn all the movies series. These thieves are wicked souls.

2 Likes

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by jaygem(m): 2:55pm On Jun 19, 2013
See Gobe !!!!
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Akan2011(m): 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
Hmmmm Half of the Year already some guys are preparing for the end of the Year
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jun 19, 2013
@immkels:
Smh! This things actually happen, I ve seen a friend whom they swaped his laptop ]wid marble.

grin grin grin grin grin
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by alaoeri: 2:57pm On Jun 19, 2013
Acidosis: I believe her story..

African magic things.
Don't let atheist see this, they 'll argue it thy kingdom come.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by yinkzzboy: 2:59pm On Jun 19, 2013
igbo bois grin
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Uziehot(m): 3:00pm On Jun 19, 2013
miky: Am not dumb or gullible enough to believe such Bull wink wink.. she had better return that money or retrace her steps, its funny how these things dont happen in more civilized parts of the world..utter rubbish
hmmm,liquor n dry grass are hard on u.

1 Like

Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jun 19, 2013
symptoms of harsh economy! Where economy is harsh, all crimes are inevitable. Sorry sis.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by delors(m): 3:04pm On Jun 19, 2013
Yeah, the story is genuine. That's the operation. Once they handled the bag, that's it! It happened to a sister I know. She was going from Mile 2 to Boundary Ajegunle for shopping for her store. She said around Mile 2, a woman claimed she saw some men looking at her bag (a nylon bag containing money, like 30k I guess. She pretended to her help her. She collected the bag from her and helped her re-wrap it in another nylon bag and said she could go that the guys had gone (how dumb!). She thanked the woman who then got on a bike and left. As the woman left, the sister realised the nylon bag was rather light, lighter than usual. she opened it and saw cut pieces of newspapers...she almost fainted!
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by effisyman: 3:05pm On Jun 19, 2013
Na return money be that....

Naija witches no dey do plane or bomb, na wickedness.
Re: N70,000 Mysteriously Turns To Pieces Of Paper by dridowu: 3:06pm On Jun 19, 2013
Juju @ wok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

3 Missing Female Students Of Wisdom International Secondary School Borikiri / Police Nab Kidnappers Who Took Yam, Schnapps, Palm Oil As Ransom / Lagos Demolishes Criminal Hideout Within Marina Axis

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.