Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,114 members, 7,852,774 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 05:10 AM

Okagbare Rewrites Nigeria’s Sprint History, Wins Fifth Title! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Okagbare Rewrites Nigeria’s Sprint History, Wins Fifth Title! (477 Views)

BREAKING! Morocco 2014: Okagbare Wins Nigeria’s First Gold Medal / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold / Serena Williams Wins Fifth Wimbledon Singles Title (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okagbare Rewrites Nigeria’s Sprint History, Wins Fifth Title! by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 20, 2013
Just as predicted, Blessing Okagbare Wednesday picked her fifth, consecutive 100m title of the blue ribband event of the Cross River/All Nigerian Athletics Championships in Calabar.

The Beijing Olympic bronze medalist in the women’s long jump, posted an encouraging 11.25 secs to leave the silver for Gloria Asumnu (11.47). Home-based Peace Ukoh (11.67) of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps settled for the bronze and the prospect of being selected in Nigeria’s 4x100m relay team at the IAAF World Championships slated for August in Moscow, Russia.

Okagbare who was unimpressed with the time she clocked to win the race however told THISDAY that she was looking forward to doing well at the World Championships,

“I know my time is not really what I wanted but winning here is all that matter to me. I am going to step up my preparations for Moscow so as to be able to achieve something there,” observed the former University of Texas in El Paso (UTEP) general studies graduate.

When asked of her expectations from both the athletics federation and the National Sports Commission as regards preparations for the World Championships, Okagbare shocked reporters with her reply.

“My expectations from the federation and the government? Nothing. I am not expecting anything because I have not been getting the needed support to help me achieve greatness in the sport. This is a World Championship year and athletes hoping to achieve have all kinds of support from their governments and other sponsors,” she noted.
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/okagbare-rewrites-nigeria-s-sprint-history-wins-fifth-title/150937/
Re: Okagbare Rewrites Nigeria’s Sprint History, Wins Fifth Title! by vislabraye(m): 5:46pm On Jun 20, 2013
He did well. And de " madam on top"of NSDC tried too.
Re: Okagbare Rewrites Nigeria’s Sprint History, Wins Fifth Title! by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jun 20, 2013
vislabraye: She did well. And de " madam on top"of NSDC tried too.
FIXED
Re: Okagbare Rewrites Nigeria’s Sprint History, Wins Fifth Title! by demelza: 6:22pm On Jun 20, 2013
Isnt it about time she dazzles the international community? We don tire for all this home records. Congrats to her sha

(1) (Reply)

Lionel Messi To Appear In Court Over Fraud Allegation / If You Were Stephen Keshi / Revealed! Edinson Cavani All Set For P.s.g Move

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.