Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,993 members, 7,817,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:12 PM

Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon (24606 Views)

Bride Dumps Groom On Wedding Day For Being A Drop-Out / What If You Discover Your Husband Is A Drop Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by ngnetbiz: 7:41am On Jun 23, 2013

Though death has stopped the beat of highlife singer, Fatai Olagunju, popularly known as Rolling Dollar, his family wants his fans to keep the tempo going, writes GBENGA ADENIJI

The location was the Millennium Estate, Oko-Oba, Agege, Lagos residence of deceased highlife singer, Fatai Olagunju, otherwise called Rolling Dollar. His two wives, Zainab and Serifat, some of his children including Sikiru-who is the singer’s 50-year-old first son, wore a pensive mood as our correspondent walked into their home.

It was evident from their faces that they were yet to come to terms with the reality of the death of the 86-year-old songbird, Rolling Dollar, who breathed his last on June 12, coinciding with the 20th anniversary of the acclaimed “fairest and freest” election in Nigeria. The musician shot to stardom a few years back via a successful album, Won Kere si Number Wa. But despite his fame, the family is worried about the education of his younger children.

One of the children, Jamiu, told our correspondent that he was still saddened by the death of his father, expressing uncertainty over his future. He explained that he and his other siblings would miss their father’s pieces of advice.

The young Olagunju regretted that his late father was unable to fulfil the promise he made to him concerning his education.

Jamiu stated, “Anytime he was around, he used to advise us on things we should do and the ones we should avoid. He promised me that he would make sure I studied up to university level. It is unfortunate that when my father was making the promise, he did not know that he would die this year.”

He added that when the news of his father’s death was broken to him, the first thing he remembered was the promise he made to him, regarding his university education.

“When I was told about his death, I remembered what he promised me. I also thought about my education. It is my desire to be a singer like my father but I want to go to school first. To honour my father, I will take to music someday. He became popular as a highlife singer but I want to be a hip-hop artiste,” he added.

Rolling Dollar might have arrived on the big stage late in life but his works were recognised by highlife lovers, music buffs and fellow musicians. After his death, President Goodluck Jonathan was one of many notable individuals who praised the good work of the late singer. Zainab, who had just finished saying her prayers, told SUNDAY PUNCH that she was yet to believe that her husband had left her forever. She recalled that she married the musician after her first marriage failed, adding that Rolling Dollar was yet to hit the stardom when he married her.

She said, “I was staying with an aunt at Olorunsogo, Mushin area of Lagos about 13 years ago when I met him. I used to see him pass by but I did not know that he had interest in me. I was a bit sick when he called me on a Sunday. He jokingly asked me if I would not mind preparing Ramadan food for him because it was the fasting period. He later noticed some patches at both corners of my mouth, indicating that I had been sick. I told him I had used some drugs but he insisted on buying some more for me.”

Zainab said the musician did not even stop at that. According to her, he also prepared rice and asked one of his children to take some to her house.

She added, “I later learnt that the year he met me was exactly three years after the death of his wife, who left three children behind. We got married in 2001 and I promised to take care of the children for him. His caring and honest nature drew me to him.”

She further stated that the family was apprehensive of how to cater for the children of the late artiste, who she said, did not leave anything behind. Zainab appealed to his fans to stand by them at their moment of grief.

Rolling Dollar’s younger wife, Serifat, who said she bore a boy and a girl for the deceased singer, also reiterated that their husband did not leave any money to train their children.

When the highlife maestro was alive, Serifat said he cared so much for the children and would do anything to make them happy. But his death seemed to have caught her and the rest of the family unawares.

“Our husband did not leave any money. We hope his fans and government will stand by us. The major challenge we are facing right now is how to ensure that our children continue their education. I am a businesswoman and I only survive on the little profit I make,” she stated.

http://www.punchng.com/feature/we-may-drop-out-of-school-soon-rolling-dollars-children/
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Nobody: 8:15am On Jun 23, 2013

29 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by bellong: 8:29am On Jun 23, 2013
Didn't the man do something like education trust fund for his children knowing the uncertainty of life at his old age.

I hope the older siblings will help them out.

3 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Nobody: 8:33am On Jun 23, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by bellong: 8:47am On Jun 23, 2013
chaircover:

I hope so too but since its almost certain that these are the children from other wives, its possible, that they will only end up as glorified slaves in the older siblings homes all in the name of sending them to school.

It is a possibility. I just hope the older siblings will be kind and sincere enough to help them.

If their mothers have been good to the older siblings, this is the best time to reap the reward. Unfortunately, a lot of women in polygamous setting sow seed of bitterness and discord in their own children rather than trying to re-unite them and establish family ties.

I can remember that step-children of my maternal grandmother can't do without her. Anytime the one out of country lands, he goes straight to see her. I asked my mum how she was able to win such love in a polygamous home. My mum told me that when they were growing up, her mother took all the children like her own. Most times, those children eat from her because their own mother will hide food from them. So many good stuff. She reaped the kind gestures till her old age of 110 when she gave up the ghost.

4 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Nobody: 8:54am On Jun 23, 2013
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by ifyalways(f): 9:49am On Jun 23, 2013
Country hard. I'm sure the younger woman married him in a bid to escape poverty and hunger. What else would be the motivating factor ?
I might do same or worst if I wear and walk in their shoes. I wish them well. They've made a choice and now,its time to deal/live with it.

5 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by israel007: 10:48am On Jun 23, 2013
Ha. Na wa o. Life eh
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by bebe2(f): 10:49am On Jun 23, 2013
U see their life, I hear say he bor till he was 80yrs old,
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by fitzmayowa: 10:53am On Jun 23, 2013
Na wa ooo, so sad

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by firstolalekan(m): 10:53am On Jun 23, 2013
angry where have all his dollars rolled to
undecided...Rolling dollar...

12 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 23, 2013
Seriously, these Nigerian celebs are just so not it.

They don't ever apply wisdom to what they do.

God help them sha

2 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by LadySarin: 10:54am On Jun 23, 2013
pathetic
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Ibime(m): 10:54am On Jun 23, 2013
What the #### do these people want from us?

Leave story abeg. Na we send them?
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Pre10000(f): 10:57am On Jun 23, 2013
na wa o..God dey sha
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by nnanyereugo(m): 10:58am On Jun 23, 2013
So sad!
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by miqos02(m): 11:02am On Jun 23, 2013
how can they say he left nothing behind? how about the money he got from starcomms and de deons syrup manufacturer

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Slickest(m): 11:03am On Jun 23, 2013
You all spoke logically...

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by AbuMikey(m): 11:03am On Jun 23, 2013
The Irony of Life!!
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by AbuMikey(m): 11:04am On Jun 23, 2013
firstolalekan: angry where have all his dollars rolled to
undecided...Rolling dollar... undecided
Click "Like" if you think this Nigga is a Fool

9 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Iceslizer(f): 11:04am On Jun 23, 2013
LMAO at the 50 years old paapa that's still waiting on the dad to send him to school. Your case is in the Supreme court cheesy cheesy cheesy

“When I was told about his death, I remembered what he promised me. I also thought about my education. It is my desire to be a singer like my father but I want to go to school first. To honour my father, I will take to music someday. He became popular as a highlife singer but I want to be a hip-hop artiste,” he added.

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Iceslizer(f): 11:06am On Jun 23, 2013
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Iceslizer(f): 11:07am On Jun 23, 2013
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by playahP(m): 11:09am On Jun 23, 2013
Hahahhahahahaha LWKMD...... Ehhhh... Make them drop out naaah!!..... Will they be the first or last drop outs??

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by gunuvi(m): 11:21am On Jun 23, 2013
So the man didnt invest despite the second chance he got?
Na dem know sha, everyone has his or her cross to carry.

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by firstolalekan(m): 11:21am On Jun 23, 2013
Abu Mikey: Click "Like" if you think this Nigga is a Fool

Quote me if u think this negro is an assshole. grin

brainless f00l. . . . 14 - 7 cheesy cheesy cheesy Abu mickey mouse must be a double foool grin

16 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by nupera: 11:23am On Jun 23, 2013
Every situation is a lesson. I'm hoping there is a trust left for the young kids. The rule of any income you receive is to 1. Invest 2. Save and 3. Consume. We ususlly do it the other way round with little or nothing to invest. I'm sure the late old man knew enough not to be caught unawares.
Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:34am On Jun 23, 2013
like what d fucck issa matta with yo lots?
OJB was making dough all days, flexing and fucckin all hoes now d time fate strucks, he finally remembers all nigerians! i can't remember the news praising him for donations to the motherless while flexing and splashin water on pedestrians while cruisin in his God knws what car!

now, this old dead thing had nothing wen he was rediscovered and helped back on stage. he made it real quick and things were on again. only for the id!ot to start fuckin sikira and nofisat to reproduce younger ones. now, the fool is dead and gone leaving his children to suffer. was his head blocked to realise he needs to make provisions while things are rosy?

now for the sake of the children i knw Nigerians will definately help> but someone needs to tell God to lock the gates of heaven against this man.

the bible says, 'a man who failed to provide for his family is worse than an infidel' angry

i spit on ya grave!!!

3 Likes

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by jaygem(m): 11:37am On Jun 23, 2013
They want donations too

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by vivaciousvivi(f): 11:37am On Jun 23, 2013
He was probably in his 70s when he bore a new generation of his kids. This 2nd batch of kids are not yet in their teens and he was already in his late 80s and it never crossed his mind to write a will of some sort?! What is scary is dat d older kids are in their 50s which may give them some leverage in wrestling d few properties d late man had from his wives and kids. What a shame.

1 Like

Re: Rolling Dollar’s Children May Drop-out Of School Soon by Yinkafagoke: 11:39am On Jun 23, 2013
@playah p,mind your speach

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Gain Complete Custody Of A Child Born Out Of Wedlock? / Woman Gives Birth To Quadruplets (4 Boys) After Years Of Childlessness (Photos) / Married Men, What Is Your Experience With Single Ladies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.