Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,291 members, 7,954,158 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:22 PM

OJB Should Set Up A Dialysis Center.... - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / OJB Should Set Up A Dialysis Center.... (1280 Views)

Photo Of Muna Obiekwe On A Dialysis Machine, Prior To His Death / Marrying 3 Wives Is My Destiny And I Am Happy When I Look At Them - OJB Jazreel / Lagos Health Commisioner Gives OJB Free Dialysis Treatment (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

OJB Should Set Up A Dialysis Center.... by DatNiggaAk(m): 5:12pm On Jun 23, 2013
Instead of going for a kidney transplant, I will advise OJB to set up a kidney dialysis center with the money that is raised for him. People with transplants don't live longer than 10-12 years before the kidneys fail and they would have to take anti-rejection drugs for as long as they live.

Living with a transplant involves spending a lot of money which would stress the family if they are not well to do. Dialysis cost about N3,000.00 normally in the USA but is probably more expensive in Nigeria because there are few of the machines available. Dialysis will make one live a full life as long as he follows the lifestyle change given by the doctor on what to eat and what not to ingest. It's done like twice a week and apart from the inconvenience of sitting down for a couple of hours with tubes stuck into the body, you're good.

Setting up a dialysis center will ensure OJB gets his dialysis done on time, he will generate income for himself, generate employment for his workers and provide extra machines for the teeming population who don't have ready access to dialysis even when they have the cash to pay.

Kidney failure has little to do with alcohol consumption. High uncontrolled blood pressure has a lot to do with it. Diabetes is another factor. So OJB, if you're reading this, a transplant is not the best solution. You are literate. Go online and research your best options. I'm not a medical doctor. I researched online because I don't want to suffer kidney failure after a friend had it. He went to India for a transplant and was advised by doctors to stick to dialysis...
Re: OJB Should Set Up A Dialysis Center.... by specialguest(f): 5:46pm On Jun 23, 2013
I totally disagree with you op.

Do you know the complications that most times arise as a result of prolonged dialysis? First the bones degenerate after a kidney failure therefore unless the patients gets a transplant done, he/she may have to suffer continued weakness especially in the limbs and joints and most times low blood count since the red blood cells stop multiplying themselves when a kidney failure occurs.

2ndly Dialysis in Abuja costs 25,000 in private hospitals minus heipharin and epo injections which costs around 8,000 both except in government hospitals. So averagely some dialysis patient spend roughly 65000 naira per week while for those who dialyse 3 times a week they can spend upto 90000 naira weekly. Bearing in mind that once you start dialysis you can't miss your session so please do the math. The renal failure patient I am presently taking care of budgets 300,000 for dialysis everymonth and in a year that's 3,600,000 naira. Too expensive if you ask me as compared to getting a successful transplant done for about 7,000,000 and the patient would not need dialysis again in most cases.

Thirdly dialysis greatly reduces the quality of life of the patient. For instance you are stuck with the machine access either central line or fistula for as long as you need to dialyse. The issue of infection is another thing because once water or any form of bacteria infects the access, complications are bound to arise. To fix each of those access costs nothing less than 100,000 naira and they sometimes get blocked meaning you have to get another one done.

Have you also put into consideration the hours they spend on the dailysis machine every week? Each session is four hours so imagine someone missing out on four hours on a workday. Time he should have put to other productive use and its not like the patient feels strong after dialysis so most times they are generally weak and can't concentrate on any serious work till after proper rest.

I agree with you on the need to have more dialysis centers with an emphasis on providing cheaper treatment however that should be done by the government and other well to do Nigerians who want to save lives. As for OJB he should use the money donated to get a proper type compatibility test done for the donor and if the result is good then he should proceed with the transplant. Averagely the transplant should cost between 6_7 million naira with complete anti rejection/immune supression drugs for a year.

I am not a medical practitioner but like I said in previous posts someone very dear to me is presently undergoing dialysis so I understand the pains and risks involved.

1 Like

Re: OJB Should Set Up A Dialysis Center.... by JaaizTech: 7:29pm On Jan 09, 2016
DatNiggaAk:
Instead of going for a kidney transplant, I will advise OJB to set up a kidney dialysis center with the money that is raised for him. People with transplants don't live longer than 10-12 years before the kidneys fail and they would have to take anti-rejection drugs for as long as they live.

Living with a transplant involves spending a lot of money which would stress the family if they are not well to do. Dialysis cost about N3,000.00 normally in the USA but is probably more expensive in Nigeria because there are few of the machines available. Dialysis will make one live a full life as long as he follows the lifestyle change given by the doctor on what to eat and what not to ingest. It's done like twice a week and apart from the inconvenience of sitting down for a couple of hours with tubes stuck into the body, you're good.

Setting up a dialysis center will ensure OJB gets his dialysis done on time, he will generate income for himself, generate employment for his workers and provide extra machines for the teeming population who don't have ready access to dialysis even when they have the cash to pay.

Kidney failure has little to do with alcohol consumption. High uncontrolled blood pressure has a lot to do with it. Diabetes is another factor. So OJB, if you're reading this, a transplant is not the best solution. You are literate. Go online and research your best options. I'm not a medical doctor. I researched online because I don't want to suffer kidney failure after a friend had it. He went to India for a transplant and was advised by doctors to stick to dialysis...

No one should ever take this kind of advice. Dialysis is not an option, it is a stop gap measure pending when a Kidney transplant can be done. Dialysis is a terrible process. Just imagine having a tube stuck in your neck or arm for weeks, and having to sit for 4 hours to get an expensive dialysis process done 3 to 4 times a week!. It is horrific. The key word is if you are at risk of Kidney disease then watch out for the triggers. Govt. definitely needs to subsidise dialysis, we just have a bunch dumb asses in the Reps & Senates. These are the kind of issues they should be discussing. There is no reason why govt. hospitals shouldn't be flooded with Dialysis machines.

(1) (Reply)

I Thought My Babymamas Would Disrupt My Wedding To Annie Macaulay—2face / I Go Dye Shares Photos Of Himself And Family Playing Golf / Jim Iyke Gets Delivered From Evil Spirit At T.B. Joshuas Church! *EXCLUSIVE VIDE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.