Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:05 PM

Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" (9020 Views)

Flying Eagles Are The Winners Of The African Youth Championship / Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" / Eagles Must Apply Pressure Says Christian Chukwu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Etumgbe(m): 9:55am On Jun 24, 2013
Former Nigeria coach Christian Chukwu has submitted that the Super Eagles were unable to progress at the FIFA Confederations Cup in Brazil due to inexperience of some of the players.

The team crashed out of the eight-team tournament on Sunday after just winning one match from three. Their opening group game against Tahiti ended 6-1 in their favour, but lost to Uruguay (2-1) and Spain (3-0) to exit from the tournament.

Chukwu, who led the national team to win the Africa Cup of Nations in 1980, said the strikers missed many scoring chances in the three games due to their inexperience, but praised coach Stephen Keshi for giving the players the opportunity to play at the big stage.

He said, “People keep saying we missed strikers like Obafemi Martins and Osaze Odemwingie, but that is not the issue. When these players were there and did not play to our satisfaction, we clamoured for other players to be included. What is missing in this team is experience. We should not forget that key players like Victor Moses and Emmanuel Emenike were not available for this tournament.

“If this crop of players continues to play at the big stage just as they did at the Confederations Cup, they’ll gradually acquire what is needed to win games at the top level.”

He added, “The results (in Brazil) are not encouraging but Keshi deserves credit for giving the players the chance to play at the top level.

“One of the lessons learnt from the Confederations Cup will be on how to fortify the team ahead of their last World Cup qualifier against Malawi and the subsequent preparation of the team for the World Cup.

“It is better we fail and learn at this level than to disgrace ourselves at the World Cup next year. The purpose of this competition is to assess the team’s strength, and we have seen our weaknesses.”

http://www.punchng.com/sports/eagles-suffering-from-inexperience-chukwu/

3 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by AK481(m): 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2013
the defence was super,the midfield was okey,the attack was all minus,infact ideye played against us.

first to.............

4 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by kennyonthrone(m): 12:05pm On Jun 25, 2013
I mAde it....2nd 2 comment gradually gettin dia
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by dulphines: 12:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
They played the weekest link in the opening, met the masters in the middle game and finally tangled with the granndmasters in their end game. I think they did well in all considering the team they played.

2 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by iphy42: 12:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
I believe the boys tried. Their games are far better and past SE but some players like Ideye, Musa and co should be reviewed IMHO
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by oche419: 12:07pm On Jun 25, 2013
Ok sir. We don hear. Thank u 4 not keeping quiet.

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by ScorchedViper(m): 12:08pm On Jun 25, 2013
For the first time in a long time....I actually enjoyed watching Naija play. Granted, the strikers were a bit inexperienced and the defenders made some elementary mistake but overall, this is good exposure for the boys......

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Sanandreas10(m): 12:09pm On Jun 25, 2013
grin grin

a wonderful write up....!!! It is not the fault of the player but....., that is there first debut in international match .....!!!!!kudos to Obi Mikel, ahmed Musa, and Stephen Keshi.........
He awfully missed osaze, and Okocha
smiley

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Nobody: 12:10pm On Jun 25, 2013
Maybe experience got nothing to do with age and number of years a player has played professional football. I can't remember Nigeria any of our squad member in the confederation cup that's below 20.

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by theripper3: 12:10pm On Jun 25, 2013
Well, sir, u have a point but how much experience do guys like ideye (dynamo kiev) and musa(cska moscow), akpala(werder bremen) need? These clubs are big clubs that even feature in the champions league.

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Vonwolf(m): 12:10pm On Jun 25, 2013
Na Jealosy dey worry am, what did he achieve with d eagles?

3 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Iniotong(m): 12:13pm On Jun 25, 2013
Okay.... He has heard
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by OkikiOluwa1(m): 12:15pm On Jun 25, 2013
To some extent, I d say experience....
But I d ask Mr Christian Chukwu, how many years exqerience do players like Neymar, Hulk, Hernandez, Balotelli have?
The other teams also had their inexperienced or 1st timers at a major event like this confed cup.
The main problem of the eagles is the strikers that can't finish clinically. Ideye is experienced enough to score alot rather than missing goals like Adebayor. I believe this present eagles after more time ll be formidable.
Last Bullet: Keshi should look for those hungry strikers. Whether its Martins, Odemwingie, abi na one unknown man from 3SC, Kano Pillars or Enyimba. Anyhow, local or foreign based, we need a Rasheed Yekini, Gabriel Batistuta, Patrick
Kluivert, Alan Shearer, Christian Vieri, Gerd Muller, Ronaldo De Limá like player ASAP!

2 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by coogar: 12:18pm On Jun 25, 2013
if we had a striker with the quality of chicharito, we would have won spain and uruguay. i cannot fault the defence and the midfield for the build-up. it's the composure in the final-third that was lacking.

keshi gets 70% from me but he needs a quality striker.

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Afrocatalyst: 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2013
The truth
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Afam4eva(m): 12:19pm On Jun 25, 2013
the_ripper3: Well, sir, u have a point but how much experience do guys like ideye (dynamo kiev) and musa(cska moscow), akpala(werder bremen) need? These clubs are big clubs that even feature in the champions league.
For some players, it's a problem of inexperience especially those in the local league while for others, it's that they're not good enough. We have better strikers in Emenike and Uche. Keshi could also recall Anichebe and Chinedu Obasi so that we'll have a good striking bench. We may not have strikers in the mold os Suarez or Chicarito but we have good strikers that can get chop goal and clean mouth unlike these strikers we paraded in the confederations cup.

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Aifey(m): 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2013
Vonwolf: Na Jealosy dey worry am, what did he achieve with d eagles?
immaturity of d mind.wht bad hs he done?

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Emmysteve(m): 12:20pm On Jun 25, 2013
i made it to front page

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by MrAboki: 12:21pm On Jun 25, 2013
[b]Chukwu is right... Infact, it's a no brainier.. The Team that went to the Confed Cup for Nigeria were young and barely experienced players.

The team however gave a good showing for their experience level.. What Nigerians are suggesting to Keshi is not to dump the boys as we have big big faith in their future as a team, but to incorporate some experience into the team as well.. These young lads need guidance. The only part of the team that looked solid was the midfield and its no surprise because they had the experience of Mikel to serve as their leader.. The defence needed one very experienced player to act as the defence leader.. Infact, that's where Enyeama failed. I expected him to be the defence captain, being the most experienced man in the backline. Our forwards have issued.. Ahmed Musa is fast growing and may end up being the best 7 Nigeria has had in a long time. He missed chances, but the kid has got mad potentials. His drifting play from 7 to 11 should be harnessed and worked on. His future is bright.. Ideye was a big let down. I expected him to shine in the absence of Emenike and Moses, but he didn't. Apkala and co were wastes.. Mba, flu taunted like a bulb..

Overall... An inexperienced team gave a good account of themselves for their experience level. Nigerians are satisfied.

Now Keshi knows what areas to work on.. Defence and attack .[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
Nigerians should not loose faith in the Super Eagles. The confed cup was a stepping stone for us to play with the big wigs and also to make mistakes and fix them. Now that we know what our weaknesses are, we will be set for the World cup in Brazil. Football success is not overnight. It will take work and patience to get there.
I have so much confidence in this team. I have never had any interest in Nigerian football for nearly 10 years until we debuted this team at the AFCON.
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Orikinla(m): 12:30pm On Jun 25, 2013
Keshi's Super Eagles had no strikers.
What is Idehen or whatever doing in the team?
I have seen better soccer players on the streets of Ajegunle in Lagos.
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by MEILYN(m): 12:35pm On Jun 25, 2013
hmmmmm, nice advice
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by kutchs: 12:42pm On Jun 25, 2013
chidindufrank: Maybe experience got nothing to do with age and number of years a player has played professional football. I can't remember Nigeria any of our squad member in the confederation cup that's below 20.
Experience here has to be examined in relative terms. Compare the Nigerian players with those of Spain and Uruguay and the gulf in experience becones very obvious. Experience has got nothing to do with age but the number of international matches you have played. The Spanish players like Xavi, Iniesta, Casillas, Fabregas, Busquets etc have several international matches under their belt and the lessons learnt from those (which is the so called experience) is very invaluable. Except Miikel, and Enyeama which other Eagle has more than 30 international caps?
I think the mission of the SE at the confeds is not necessarily to win the cup but to compete against the best, gain the requisite experience which will stand them in good stead to qualify for and actually do well at the WC. Whats imporatnt now is what the NFF does bw now and Sept and offcourse June 2014. Get the boys to play grade A international friendlies against the likes of Spain, Brazil, Argentina etc. These will be very helpful.
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Rangelax: 12:45pm On Jun 25, 2013
Yes christian chukwu make a reasonable point.....but in my own flow abt the super eagles steven kechi could have call for ikechukwu uche and is brother kalu uche to be among the attackers....because the match will against uruguay their is no finishers imagine mikel of all people who harldly try to aim the post...is the one score the only goal for that match due to lack of attackers...because i dnt see why steven kechi live dos players behind and go after home base that cannot score a goal....amechibe the everton striker is available why kechi did not call for that player to support the striking force because he hv the experience to skul goals more than those player that call their self attackers....pls my main reason is to call for top attackers attackers with some of the home base so that the attacking force will look some how sharp.
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Blackteeth(m): 12:46pm On Jun 25, 2013
This is one reason why super eagles will never be a top team. The only time we know there is a problem with the team is when they lose 5-0 against an European team. When super eagles won AFCON there was nothing wrong with the team.
Super chickens should stop rating themselves with Africa. The should rate themselves with their outcome with European or south American team encounters.
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by alphaconde(m): 12:52pm On Jun 25, 2013
Christain chukwu spoke like a christain, he could have lashed out the whole team just becus the mic was put before him.

The only thing I blame keshi for was his consistent dependence on ideye.
A hairstyle someone else made popular ideye helped in disreputing it.
I would talk to keshi yet until I see ideye again in dat team.

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by Akshow: 12:55pm On Jun 25, 2013
AK 48: the defence was super,the midfield was okey,the attack was all minus,infact ideye played against us.

first to.............
na because of dis okpata wey u yarn na him u chop d entire space? who no know say Ideye na bad market? mind yasef o

1 Like

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by splashbaby(m): 12:59pm On Jun 25, 2013
I still wonder why Bright Dike, Sone Aluko, Shola Ameobi and others were not given chance?
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by sylve11: 1:06pm On Jun 25, 2013
Inexperienced and they r not one minded. cool
Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by omonnakoda: 1:12pm On Jun 25, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: To some extent, I d say experience....
But I d ask Mr Christian Chukwu, how many years exqerience do players like Neymar, Hulk, Hernandez, Balotelli have?
The other teams also had their inexperienced or 1st timers at a major event like this confed cup.
The main problem of the eagles is the strikers that can't finish clinically. Ideye is experienced enough to score alot rather than missing goals like Adebayor. I believe this present eagles after more time ll be formidable.
Last Bullet: Keshi should look for those hungry strikers. Whether its Martins, Odemwingie, abi na one unknown man from 3SC, Kano Pillars or Enyimba. Anyhow, local or foreign based, we need a Rasheed Yekini, Gabriel Batistuta, Patrick
Kluivert, Alan Shearer, Christian Vieri, Gerd Muller, Ronaldo De Limá like player ASAP!
Imagine that Drogba is OLDER than Michael Owen whose career was nearly over before we heard of Drogba
Africans often need more experience unless they are really exceptional.Why? Because they do not get exposure at top clubs while young and we do not have any clubs of our own this can be seen in all works of life not just sport

Anyway where were Drogba,Ikpeba,Amunike,Finidi,Yekini,Odemwigie etc when they were 18. Compare that to Theo Walcott,Diaby Bendtner, Oxlade Chamberlain and all the other kids who were gaining experience at the highest level.
We cannot develop our raw talents without good clubs.
The experience he is talking about is experience of playing against the best at the highest level
Drogba joined Chelsea at 26 while Wayne Rooney is just 27 now and some are saying he is finished

2 Likes

Re: Christian Chukwu - "Super Eagles Are Inexperienced" by jossy501: 1:14pm On Jun 25, 2013
Super E lack sharp attack that can give us goals. Steve keshi should stop sentiment and invite osaze odemwingie,Matins , and the Uche brothers or in fact go out there to look for a strong striker that can deliver goals cos i strongly believe that is what the present team need at this moments. IF NOT i strongly believe will would still fumble as usual Gud bless 9ija. Peace!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Neymar To Extend Stay At PSG, Wants Mbappe To Do The Same / Free Games ( Select Wisely And Play Save) / Sure Legit Daily 2+odds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.