Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Golf 3 Power Loss Issue - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Golf 3 Power Loss Issue (817 Views)

Nissan Primera P11-144 Pinging Sound With Power Loss / Which Is Better: Auto Or Manual Golf 3? / How Much Does A Golf 3 Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by redcliff: 10:44am On Jun 30, 2013
Is it okay to wash the engine bay of your car especially when it is dirty? Due to how dirty the engine could get as a result of dust in this country, I wash my engine sometimes. I noticed my car lost power after that and when I step on the accelerator I don't get the right answer that's commenurate with the pressure I add to the pedal but it wasn't so bad until I washed the engine last week again after some months of the last one and it deteriorated more.. Like when I step on the gas I see the engine speed needle the engine revs high and the speedometer reluctantly goes up. I told my mechanic about this and he said it would be the clutch that its giving me signs that its bad already. I really did not believe him and I googled it up and found out that the clutch could actually be a reason the engine speed isn't commensurate to the wheel speed. What dyu guys think pls. I know people would insult me for washing my engine, I don't want to hear that, the mistake has been made, I would like the pros here to proffer solutions. Thanks.
Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by redcliff: 11:46am On Jul 01, 2013
nobody can help?
Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by Ikenna351(m): 9:58pm On Jul 01, 2013
Sounds like a slippery clutch issue.

Usually, washing engine with pressure water would dump water into the bellhousing and flood the throw-out bearing in manual trans car. It would send the bearing to its early grave. So, be ready to replace the throw-out bearing too, you are on a borrowed time, unless you are a very lucky guy. I would find it strange if that amount of water entered the behousing, soaked and damged the clutch plate but didnt touch throw-out bearing. Its a bearing, designed to be spinning while constantly greased or at least oiled, not to be lubricated with water.

Anyway, if what you decribed is how your car is truly running now, i would suggest clutch job.

Ikenna
Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by redcliff: 10:10pm On Jul 01, 2013
thanks Ikenna, i have been waiting for an answer since last night..I always like to be primp with my possessions. The engine looks so new whenever i wash it and it makes me really proud of the car. I just feel when I would have to sell it thats what i would use to convince the prospective buyer. I really do take care of the car like its my skin.
Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by Ikenna351(m): 11:25am On Jul 02, 2013
Whatever you do, next time, dont wash that engine with high pressure water. You are lucky that it cost you only clutch plate this time. You may not be that lucky next time. Some people have ended up not getting their cars to start again because they wanted their engine bay to look the same way it were when the car was driven out of show room. There are better ways of washing your engine or keeping it clean other than that method that put your car in that condition.

Ikenna
Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by redcliff: 11:49am On Jul 02, 2013
Ikenna351: Whatever you do, next time, dont wash that engine with high pressure water. You are lucky that it cost you only clutch plate this time. You may not be that lucky next time. Some people have ended up not getting their cars to start again because they want their engine bay to look the same way it left show room. There are better ways of washing your engine or keeping it clean other than that method that put your car in that condition.

Ikenna

please can you share the other safer methods to keep the engine bay clean?
Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by Cyberknight: 1:00pm On Jul 02, 2013
I get my mechanic to wipe down as much as he can with a petrol dampened rag when I go for servicing,or I do that myself. I NEVER, NEVER, EVER wash the bloody engine with water, goodness knows where the water could get into and what it could ruin. As for making an engine look nice: what is it with Nigerians and the so-called "resale' value of their cars? I run my cars, maintain them well, and use them well too. and don't worry myself daily about what its potential value could be at each point in time. Need to start thinking differently, mate.

1 Like

Re: Golf 3 Power Loss Issue by redcliff: 1:29pm On Jul 02, 2013
Cyberknight: I get my mechanic to wipe down as much as he can with a petrol dampened rag when I go for servicing,or I do that myself. I NEVER, NEVER, EVER wash the bloody engine with water, goodness knows where the water could get into and what it could ruin. As for making an engine look nice: what is it with Nigerians and the so-called "resale' value of their cars? I run my cars, maintain them well, and use them well too. and don't worry myself daily about what its potential value could be at each point in time. Need to start thinking differently, mate.

That makes us two entirely different people. Although i knowi ts not right to wash the engine bay, I was hoping Ikenna would proffer alternate means to make it look clean to the eyes. sometimes it could be an eyesore with all the dust ans what have you lying around components and making them look old.

(1) (Reply)

Toy Car Competition / Please I Need Driving Lessons / Three Advantages Of CAT Caterpillar ET Diagnostic Tool

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.