Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,721 members, 7,955,700 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:15 PM

Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys (9956 Views)

Dangote Trailer Kills Five On Auchi-Benin Road (PHOTOS) / Two Drivers Fighting On The Road At Sabo Market Ikorodu (Photos) / Traffic Wardens Separating Fight Between Two Drivers In Abuja (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by playahP(m): 7:46pm On Jul 02, 2013
After I saw the story of the trailer driver that bashed a car and tried to escape (its on the front page) I decided to also share my own story.

First of all, I have to advise you all to be very careful with these trailers or trucks especially on a lonely road.

This happened sometime in january.
My friend, Dr. Tee as we fondly call him was driving from abuja to lagos when exactly the same thing happened to him!

A trailer bashed his car (totoya hilux) and it ended up somersaulting several times.
He sustained some injuries and if not for God and good nigerians, he would have bled to death in d wreckage.

The thing is that the trailer guy didn't even stop or act as if it hit anything!

I thought it was maybe an isolated case till I read about another similar case on the front page.

I have to warn all nairalanders to be wary of those trailers when they are travelling on a major high way.

My own personal experience.
----------------------------------
In 2009, I was on my way to enugu using peace mass transit when a truck (trailer) we were trying to overtake suddenly swerved and ran us (and one other private car) into the bush .
This happened on lagos-ibadan expressway around 8am!

The trailer also didn't stop. Infact I was too dazed to notice it zoom off... Nobody died but the impact left some people unconcious.

This is my own 10 kobo.

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Jakumo(m): 7:54pm On Jul 02, 2013
Now this is scary. Truckers deliberately running cars off the road, at highway speeds. There is something sinister about that new practice, for sure.

Could those truck drivers be in phone contct with armed robbers positioned near the road in anticipation of "accident" victims to rob? Anything is possible at night on Nigeria's highways, so stay clear of those big-rig trucks, like the man said.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by funkybaby(f): 8:21pm On Jul 02, 2013
Jakumo: Now this is scary. Truckers deliberately running cars off the road, at highway speeds. There is something sinister about that new practice, for sure.

Nope, it's not a new practice.

playah P:

My own personal experience.
----------------------------------
In 2009, I was on my way to enugu using peace mass transit when a truck (trailer) we were trying to overtake suddenly swerved and ran us (and one other private car) into the bush .
This happened on lagos-ibadan expressway around 8am!

The trailer also didn't stop. Infact I was too dazed to notice it zoom off... Nobody died but the impact left some people unconcious.

This is my own 10 kobo.

I lost a dear friend in similar circumstances in 2003 along the same Lagos-Ibadan expressway way.

He was seated in the passenger seat of a salon car only for the driver of the truck to swerve suddenly while they were trying to overtake.

My friend unfortunately wasn't wearing a seat belt (seat belts were not enforced then). He was flung out of the car due to the impact. His body was found few metres from the scene of the crash..... he died instantly cry cry cry

The driver of the truck did not stop !
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by IGBOSON1: 9:09pm On Jul 02, 2013
I've said it before, and i'll say it again till i'm blue in the face- these thugs, junkies and psychos that pass for truck drivers in this country......FRSC needs to pay particular attention to them, and ensure they and their vehicles go for a yearly check-up! Also, each articulated lorry/truck/tipper/heavy-duty-vehicle should have a unique easily identifiable number at the back; together with a phone number to call, incase the driver is driving like a maniac!

So many animals passing for human beings in this country!

9 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jul 02, 2013
FRONT PAGE!
FRONT PAGE!!!!
OMG!!!!!

lord have mercy on us all.
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by devigblegble: 9:41am On Jul 03, 2013
Ok may The Lord protect us all whether trailer or not
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 9:50am On Jul 03, 2013
i dread them like hell,infact i fear the one carrying containers,they are simply walking death certificates.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 9:56am On Jul 03, 2013
Most of those ones carrying containers are not hooked and any mistake could make them fall of the trailer

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by adewasco2k(m): 9:57am On Jul 03, 2013
just yesterday I was driving from Abuja to Lokoja.... I was overtaking a trailer (dangote ) even though I horned he still swap to my side just to avoid a shallow hole on the road.... I was lucky to have a clear and good side to also swap to... imagine there was a big hole on my side, what will i have done... thank God for the miracle and yes you guys should take note of them..... thanks OP

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by rozayx5(m): 10:02am On Jul 03, 2013
the alst thing you shud try when driving is competing with a trailer grin
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by lukaino(m): 10:09am On Jul 03, 2013
Haven't you noticed that majority of the truck drivers today are teenagers and adults in their early twenties? Truck driving should be open only to Adults from age 35 upwards. I know of a company who hire only 40yrs and above. this is to ensure that only people with some level of maturity and a sense of responsibility drive trailers. What we see daily is a display of youthful exuberance. May God save us all.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:11am On Jul 03, 2013
As in, some of these truck drivers deliberately run off other vehicles off the road. It's drivingculous. I v heared this same thing about truck drivers from several people.
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by andyanders: 10:13am On Jul 03, 2013
Well, I call them 'Hired Killer'.

Anytime you see any trailer or truck, pull over by the road side and allow them go their way. If you try to say, I have a good car and can drive yourself, just wish the living goodbye as that could be your last on this earth.

Their duty is to kill, hence I call them Hired Killer. They have no sympathy and will beckon on you to come over in front so that they can run over you. So be careful with them.

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by bong4(m): 10:16am On Jul 03, 2013
People from my little driving experience, i have developed what i call predictive driving. Before you overtake watch the mannerism or behaviour of the driver in front of you (whether trailer or ordinary vehicle). Also watch ahead of the car in front of you, taking note of road condition (if there are potholes and the curvy nature). Please do not overtake without noting these things and do not be in a hurry.

When you have positively and satisfactorily affirmed that the above mentioned conditions are okay. You can overtake but please horn while you are doing so and always be at a faster speed than the vehicle you are trying to overtake. Just my little contribution though.

13 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Osama10(m): 10:31am On Jul 03, 2013
IGBO-SON:
I've said it before, and i'll say it again till i'm blue in the face- these thugs, junkies and psychos that pass for truck drivers in this country......FRSC needs to pay particular attention to them, and ensure they and their vehicles go for a yearly check-up! Also, each articulated lorry/truck/tipper/heavy-duty-vehicle should have a unique easily identifiable number at the back; together with a phone number to call, incase the driver is driving like a maniac!

We have the highway code but like every other thing in this country, implementation of the laws of the land is the problem.

Consider overloading, with just 200-500 naira these trucks drivers would have their way with the FRSC/POLICE.

There is no hope for this country.
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Cmoyor: 10:36am On Jul 03, 2013
Can smone teach me how to drive here?
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by moscobabs(m): 10:36am On Jul 03, 2013
Truck or no truck ....u need 2 be careful while driving u just consider other vehicle drivers as LUNATICS.do nt overtake truck in a narrow way pls.ki olohun ma fi iso e sowa oo!!!

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by bigt2(m): 10:42am On Jul 03, 2013
It seems like im the only one giving those bastrds a challenge with my formular 4 driving!!! cool
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by jhydebaba(m): 10:45am On Jul 03, 2013
If u ve the opportunity to be in one of these trailers, u'll definitely know that these deadly drivers are to be dared.
They are on top of the world when they are inside their trailers because human beings and other cars look so much plus the fact that they must have gotten high (either on alcohol or smoking).

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by jhydebaba(m): 10:48am On Jul 03, 2013
big-t:
It seems like im the only one giving those bastrds a challenge with my formular 4 driving!!! cool
Have u given birth to both male and female If yes, enjoy ur formular. If no, pls let go of the formular for now.

My 2kobo.

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by stildude(m): 10:53am On Jul 03, 2013
The issue of psycho trailer drivers on the road is a very serious one. Many have lost loved ones and property to their activities. I am very sure many of them are intentionally evil. This may stem from several reasons. The ones I can think of are:
1. some of them are killers on the road the same way there are serial killer doctors or nurses caring for patients. They savour the feeling of taking the life of the helpless.
2. Transfer of aggression. Some of them nurse hate against their boss. When they see you 'an oga' just like his, in this flashy car, they are drawn to oppose anything you (or their oga) represents. On the wheel of a huge truck against you in your small car, they feel they are now the boss and can exercise power including to determine your fate. Ever seen a truck driver shouting on another motorist while he is sitting there in the truck, then he comes down and he is a small man and the tone of his voice suddenly changes.
3. Another reason I can think of is the same male ego of not backing down. The same way most male drivers react when someone is trying to overtake them by stepping on the pedal, some truck drivers will swerve towards you to discourage you or show disapproval of your overtaking them.

However, about not stopping, it is the same way a driver running away from the scene of an accident after running over a victim because of reasons such as fear of being lynched, arrest, or having to bear the cost of treatment or repairs that has arisen from the accident.

I remember as a young boy, I used think that when I grow up, the kind of automobile I would like to drive will be a truck since I thought that would give me an advantage should I be involved in a collision with another vehicle. it was childish but smart ha!ha!

Pls be very careful when you are approaching a truck driver in Nigeria, especially on the highway, any wrong move from either of you, some one may not live to tell the story. The victim almost always is the guy in the small car.

4 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by DTaj: 11:02am On Jul 03, 2013
Yomieluv: i dread them like hell,infact i fear the one carrying containers,they are simply walking death certificates.

@Yomieluv1, you hit a chord there! I know several people who have been crushed (in fact flattened) by those container-laden trucks. It is just so sad. I always keep a distance from them on the road! They've killed so many innocent souls and I thought there was a regulation that requires truck owners to have their trucks articulated or latched but you see them carry all sorts of heavy materials without any latch...
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 11:02am On Jul 03, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 03, 2013
Ever since we were almost crushed by one in Abaji,i avoid them
Our driver tried to overtake on
1.a single carriage road
2.at a bend
The trailer appeared and by our side was another trailer and a bus,and the trailer was coming at us full speed,there was nothing else to do but for him to crush us to death,people in the other cars at our sides ahd started shouting and wailing at our deaths
Please avoid them because they are death on wheels dont try to overtake them on a single lane if you cannot see far ahead of you..you cannot prredict the actions of another driver,Do not think a trailer cannot just swerve when you are beside him,and try to stay away from the ones laden with containers,avoid them when they are climbing a hilly road and when they coming down they might roll behind,or lose control and roll forward
above all The fear of Nigerian Trailer Drivers AKA death on wheels is the beginning of wisdom

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by egariyi(f): 11:29am On Jul 03, 2013
Most the truck drivers are also usually high on 'igbo' or 'alcohol'. Also, most of them are also illiterates and cannot even read road signs cos, they went to 'backyard' training schools! the best advise is what the OP has given - becareful when you driving and approaching a truck. As much as possible, always give them should they want to overtake!
Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Anvaller: 11:32am On Jul 03, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Back in the days, we used to have traffic rules.. most especially on the highway.. Drivers are enforced to read "the highway code" FRSC was very effective and even little children knew at that time that a trailer must not drive on the left lane on the highway but these days, u won't believe that most trailer drivers don't even know traffic rules and they are not aware that they have the least right on the highway.. (e.g they mustn't exceed certain speed, they must stay on the left lane, they must give way for smaller vehicles etc...) But unfortunately majority of illiterate dull head trailer drivers that we have think that they have the most right cos they drive the heaviest vehicle on the highway so everyone must respect them.

But is it their fault or our government that fails to enforce traffic law?

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by tess22: 11:37am On Jul 03, 2013
This is why I have started an appeal to ban these 'evil' maniacs from daytime movement. I have heard too many sad and tragic incidents caused by trailers and fuel tankers drivers. These drivers are beyond redemption, they just do not understand any guidelines. The only way for travellers to travel in peace without fear and apprehension is to get these drivers off the roads during daytime hours when passenger travel is highest.
Please support this campaign by clicking on these links. If we all don't demand better road safety measures, we will continue to hear such sad stories.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/please-ban-the-daytime-movement-of-fuel-tankers-and-trailers

https://www.facebook.com/StopFuelTankerAccidentsNow

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 03, 2013
Most Nigerians are crappy drivers,The trailers are just a microcosm of that percentage except they have the brawn (Big cars)are impatient like most Nigerian Drivers,and always want to drive fast,its just that when accidents happen with them the fatality is through the roof,death,amputations,spinal cord injuries and fire involving not one but more..so trailer drivers are just your typical Nigerian Drivers except that they are armed with a lethal weapon that brings maximum damages

1 Like

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Nobody: 11:42am On Jul 03, 2013
I've seen several accidents like this on our highways...i also witnessed 1 along lekki-ajah highway in 2009 but it involved an okada rider.... There were 2trucks infront of me and a bike guy was moving on the right side of d road (i guess he was moving @50km/h). Suddenly, the 2nd truck decided to overtake the 1st truck and in so doing, knocked d bike guy by its side. I was driving directly behind the overtaking truck on d right side of the highway and thank God for giving me courage and gd grips or else i wld have run over the bike guy dat laid in front of my car. I was so mad cos d truck driver refused to stop so i chased after the truck guy along with some other drivers and bikers. we caught up with him at the traffic just before phase 1 roundabout and we gave him d beating of his life before lastma and police guys came and whisked d truck driver away. angry

2 Likes

Re: Beware Of Trailer Drivers On Long Distance Journeys by Decryptor(m): 11:52am On Jul 03, 2013
adewasco2k: just yesterday I was driving from Abuja to Lokoja.... I was overtaking a trailer (dangote ) even though I horned he still swap to my side just to avoid a shallow hole on the road.... I was lucky to have a clear and good side to also swap to... imagine there was a big hole on my side, what will i have done... thank God for the miracle and yes you guys should take note of them..... thanks OP
When ever they do that again, apply the "Fast and Furious" technique...

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News From Owerri, Imo State. What Happened To A Newly Wedded Man / The Darkest Day For My Family. - Prophetic Ugo Wems / Kim Kardashian Holds Kanye's Dick In Bathroom Picture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.