Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,080 members, 7,821,711 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:07 PM

15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest (17382 Views)

Futa Wins 8th Mathematics Contest (namcus 2016) / Cowbell National Mathematics Competition 2015 First Stage Results Released / 2013 Cowbell National Mathematics Competition Results Is Out! Check It NOW! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by IB5(f): 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2013
2013-07-04 23:00:42
A 15 year-old boy, Akindele Oyedele, emerged as the National Champion of the 2013 Cowbell National Secondary Schools Mathematics Competition on Thursday.

The pupil of Iganmode Grammar School, Ota, a public school in Ogun State, scored 94 points out of a possible 100 to beat a 14-year-old pupil of Reality High School, Ilesa, Osun State, who scored 82 to clinch the second position.

Obasi Peter, 17, from the University of Nigeria Secondary School, Enugu, scored 81 points to clinch the third position.

Iganmode Grammar School has now won the competition back to back for three years. Akindele Nurein Oyetobi and Uwa Benjamin from the school had earlier won the competition in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

In the Junior Category, 13-year-old boy, Iyoha Omonzokpia of Loyola Jesuit College, Abuja, scored 93 points to beat Omojola Samuel, of Reality High School, Ilesha, Osun state, who scored 91 to clinch the second position. Amulah Caleb, 14, of Mount Saint Gabriel's School, Benue scored 89 to win the third position.

Over 30,000 pupils from different schools sat for the competition across over 200 centres in Nigeria.

Managing Director, Promasidor Nigeria Limited -- makers of Cowbell Milk, Chief Keith Richards, noted that the intensity, fortitude and integrity of the competition had been sustained since it started in 1998. He added that the competition was free and open to all secondary school pupils between ages 10 and 18.

Lamenting that education was declining in Nigeria, especially in the North, due to terrorism, he regretted that no pupil from the North-East schools participated in the competition.

Richards said, "In the last couple of years, we have struggled because of the activities of Boko Haram and other criminal terrorist organisations that are against education and by doing that, they are threatening the hope and the future of Nigeria's future generations and their children.

"Since the insurgency heightened, the level of participation in the North has reduced considerably. The results of this year's competition further lend credence to the downward trend of education advancement in Nigeria"

Although he acknowledged that Nigeria still had a bright future, Richards appealed to the government and other well-meaning Nigerians to "act fast and save the situation, as it may destroy the future of many."

Director-General, National Mathematics Centre, Prof. Adewale Solarin, at the event called on other private organisations to support educational programme.

He revealed that the centre had embarked on the training of students for the forthcoming Pan-African Mathematics Olympiad to be hosted by Nigeria.

Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufai, who was represented by the Director, Science and Technology, Dr. Abass Adedibu, said mathematics and science play a significant role in the economic development of a nation.

Winning schools in the competition went home with Desktop computers and printers, apart from monetary gift to the winning pupils.

The best 10 pupils in the senior category were also given laptops.

Iganmode Grammar School won the Benson Oweka Memorial Prize for its consistent and outstanding performance for over three years.
http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/education/boy-15-wins-national-mathematics-contest/

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Tolexander: 1:03pm On Jul 05, 2013
Igammode again!
A public school for that matter!

9 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Nobody: 1:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
Congrats. smiley

I hated maths in school angry

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by gaburiel(m): 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
This is what MTN, Star, Gulder, Guiness and other multinational companies in Nigeria should be doing, not project fame and street dance and star quest and nonsense nonsense nonsense. Kudos to the guys

46 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Siga: 1:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
This Iganmode don dey do this since ....I salute ooo....
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by bellaberry: 1:57pm On Jul 05, 2013
A whizkid in the making. Nice one!

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by iwanchop(m): 1:59pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thank God federal character does not come to play here

5 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by warlei(m): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
Proudly IGS.

3 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by moscobabs(m): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
bella berry: A whizkid in the making. Nice one!

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Temismith(f): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
Thumbs up! More oil to ur lamp! wink
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by omusiliyu(m): 2:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
Up! Up!! Up!!! Iganmode grammer school.

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by otijah(m): 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
My joy is he is an igbo guy. Hahahahahahah........

2 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jul 05, 2013
Great dude. I thank God for giving him such a wonderful gift. Congratz to him.

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Bobbystanley(m): 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
Are u sure that is not his football age?
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by inosend: 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
X+Y = 2X. Find X. There is no need to as X is already displayed on the screen.

4 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Eneze1(f): 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
this is commendable, a public school, am really surprised
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by otijah(m): 2:05pm On Jul 05, 2013
Yoruba kids eeh.If u ar yoruba in d building can hear u say yeah yeah by liking d post

41 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Lakayanah: 2:06pm On Jul 05, 2013
moscobabs:
Fool!!!!! wetin dis kind person dey find for Nairaland sef is not mature atall
please do you know the meaning of wizkid at all? You just showed your ignorance by calling someone a fool. I know what you know about wizkid is the musician.

6 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by gluv01(f): 2:07pm On Jul 05, 2013
Wonderful
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by martin92(m): 2:07pm On Jul 05, 2013
MATHEMATICZ LUV
LETTER
My Dear Luv, Yestaday, I Was
Passin By ur
Rectangular House
InTrigonometricLane.
... ... There I Saw u Wit ur Cute
Circular
Face,Conical Nose & Spherical
Eyes,Standing In ur Triangular
Garden.B4 Seein u,My Heart Was A
Null
Set,
But Wen A Vector Of Magnitude
(Likeness) From ur
Eyes At A Deviation Of Theta
Radians Made A Tangent To My
Heart,It
Differentiated.My Luv 4 u Is A
Quadratic
Equation Wit Real Roots, Which
Only u
Can Solve By Makin Good Binary
Relation
Wit Me.d Cosine Of My Luv 4 u
Extends 2
Infinity. I Promise dat I Should
Not Resolve
u Partial Functions But If I Do
So,You Can
Integrate Me By Applyin d Limits
From
Zero 2 Infinity.u Are As Essential
2 Me As
An Element 2 A Set.The Geometry
Of My
Life Revolves Around ur Acute
Personality.My Luv,If You Do Not
Meet Me
@ Parabola Restaurant On Date
10 At Sunset,Wen The Sun Is Makin
An
Angle Of 160 Degrees, My Heart
Would Be
Like A
Solved Polynomial Of Degree
10.Wit Luv
From ur Higher Order
Derivatives Of
Maxima&Minima,Of An
Unknown Function.

21 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by otijah(m): 2:08pm On Jul 05, 2013
moscobabs:
wizkid means d enlightened one dear
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Petbuk123(m): 2:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
Young pupil wt gr8 mind a salute there mth teacher plus dos students,more stars 2 shine frm dt school
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by kstyle2(m): 2:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
Ahh.luv dat sbuject calld maths.a big congrats 2 d kid.i tink itz high tym banks,communications ntwrks organize tinz lyk dis
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by slinkky(m): 2:09pm On Jul 05, 2013
moscobabs:
Do you know the meaning of whizkid? before i comment
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by martin92(m): 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
I won the competition in 2005
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by otijah(m): 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
martin92: MATHEMATICZ LUV
LETTER
Passin By ur
Rectangular House
InTrigonometricLane.
Circular
Null
Set,
(Likeness) From ur
Heart,It
Quadratic
Only u
Relation
Extends 2
Not Resolve
So,You Can
From
2 Me As
Of My
Meet Me
An
Would Be
Like A
10.Wit Luv
From ur Higher Order
Derivatives Of
Maxima&Minima,Of An
Unknown Function.
for your mind....
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by otijah(m): 2:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
martin92: MATHEMATICZ LUV
LETTER
Passin By ur
Rectangular House
InTrigonometricLane.
Circular
Null
Set,
(Likeness) From ur
Heart,It
Quadratic
Only u
Relation
Extends 2
Not Resolve
So,You Can
From
2 Me As
Of My
Meet Me
An
Would Be
Like A
10.Wit Luv
From ur Higher Order
Derivatives Of
Maxima&Minima,Of An
Unknown Function.
for your mind....
Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by be4prof: 2:11pm On Jul 05, 2013
my best subject...federal character = character destruction. breeds laziness and entitlement mentality and not meritocracy.

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Zonacom(m): 2:12pm On Jul 05, 2013
otijah: Yoruba kids eeh.If u ar yoruba in d building can hear u say yeah yeah by liking d post
I knew your type would show face.
Congrats to the boy and his school

1 Like

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by Lakayanah: 2:12pm On Jul 05, 2013
I am so proud of you keep the flag flying. Parents pay as much as 400k for primary education most of those children just go there to speak through their nostrils.

3 Likes

Re: 15-yr-old Wins National Mathematics Contest by AlhajiPastor: 2:13pm On Jul 05, 2013
IT IS SO SHAMEFUL THAT ONLY FEW PEOPLE COULD COMMENT ON A TOPIC LIKE THIS, IF IT WERE TO BE TONTO DIKE WEARING RED LIPSTICK ON BLUE GOWN, THOUSAND WOULD BE FIGHTING FOR '1ST TO COMMENT'. CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE PARTICIPANTS AND MOST ESPECIALLY TO IGANMODE GRAMMAR SCHOOL FOR THIS FEAT.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

BREAKING: UI Shut Over Students’ Protest / UNILAG SCHOOL OF POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMME REQUIREMENTS & DURATION - 09082964145 / Unaab 2nd List Is Out: Check Your Status Now:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.