Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,766 members, 7,820,673 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:15 PM

Am I A Bad Child ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Am I A Bad Child ? (3071 Views)

Do Wives Do This Or I Just Have A Bad One? / Man Dumps Wife For Being A Bad Cook / Does Infidelity Make One A Bad Spouse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 11:46am On Jul 10, 2013
Hey people, I am a bit disturbed now. I could use some very thoughtful advise.
k, I am 25 and come from a christian family with some challenges. My dad is quite comfortable and earns well but he is a womaniser by all standards. He tries hard to hide it from us though but as you know walls have ears so we know and the bad thing is that this has rubbed negatively on peoples impression in the church. Besides these, I think he is a good dad trying his best to get a better life for we his four children. On the other hand, my mom is the self righteous, christian woman. I took so much after her and unfortunately we not best of friends. I am a student in nigeria but I have spoken to my mother now on phone its been close to 2 months though my family is based in the next town from my school cos am in school now. Its not that i do not feel like talking to my mom but I am a bit stubborn and i got this attribute from her.

My mom complained to me of my dads infidelity like 3 months ago and asked me to speak to me but I declined. I told her that was a suicidal thing to do knowing fully well my dad is not a kid, well educated and well travelled too. i told her his decision to womanise was not down to naivety and its a choice he is fully aware of the consequences so itd be quite ridiculous sitting him down and lecturing a 55 year old man on the dangers of marital infidelity.
A week later was the beginning of a new month and i sent the same text message to my dad and mom thanking them for their support. I mistakenly forgot to change the "Sir" to a "Ma" on the message I sent to my Mom. My mom called back shortly to tell me albeit sarcastically that I mistakenly sent the message I intended for my dad to her. I made to explain that my intention was to send the same message to the two of them but I forgot to change the "Sir" to a "Ma" that it was an oversight.
She hung up on me and that was the last time we conversed till now that I am typing and this is heading to three months now.
Before this incident, I had struggled to get along with my mom all through my period in college and even now because my mum is what I call "too too thrifty".

I am using the word "thrifty" now for want of a better word. I bet you cant know the extent of what I mean. As a child going through high school, college and now studying for a higher degree, I can boldly tell you that my mom have never given me beyond a cash of 2000naira (two thousand naira) when returning back to school and most times, she does not even give me a penny. My mom retired from civil service a little less than a year now though my dad is till working, I make bold to say that this thrifty nature has been around us since childhood. When I was much younger and not until when I went to college, my mom would split my upkeep into two and keep half telling us children that she was teaching us how to save and helping us to save for our future. It wouldnt have mattered if she had truly re-invested all that money back into my life when it really mattered but It doesnt even seem as if she believes she holds any financila responsibility towards us as children. My dad has paid 99.9999% of all the money that has ever been expended on us as children especially towards our education. personally, I feel this behaviour may have contributed towards my dads indiscipline and promiscuity although I am not trying to excuse his irresponsible behaviour here.

I lost a scholarship lately for my masters and had to make do with a poorer choice due to my moms lack of financial commitment towards my education. My dad had so much bills to pay and he did tell me to hold on for another year so he could come up with it but i declined knowing how hard itd be for him. My mom fully aware of my dilemna at that time did not offer to contribute a single penny despite being a civil servant herself.

I needed to write all these so I could get objective criticisms and suggestions.
Right now I feel my mom has done irreparable damage to my psyche. My dad too is not excusable because his philandering has made us children to be unnecessarily vulnerable and I am very aware of the attendant consequences but then, I am not as bitter as I am towards my mom to my dad.

I find it difficult to believe that my mom truly love us as her children seeing she prefers to invest her money in questionable business ventures and most which end up being a draining pipe and leaves the money wasted.
I am very troubled now because I feel I should speak to her but for two weeks now, I have found it really difficult to dial her number. She is also silent and obviously trying to play the "I am your mother Card". Its a shame that the relationship between mother and child could be so severely ruptured but the guys, do you honestly feel I am just being paranoid over nothing ?
Lest I forget, surprisingly both my parents too especially have terrible relationsips with their siblings too and I mean my uncles now. Its so bad that i cannot identify any of my cousins from both parents side.

Its like my family has always survived on a charade and that deciet is getting to me. I find it really difficult to commit to a relationship myself and as I am preparing to enroll for a Ph.D degree now or start working (either way) i am miles away from being in a relationship. I am a sweet guy that ladies get attracted to me easily but in the long run, I break their hearts with reckless abandon and this is out of my fear that my own family too might probably descend into the abyss.
The point here folks is this, Do you guys think I am a terrible child for not calling my mum ?
I feel repulsed dialling her number so am I to blame and please forget the suggestion about talking it out with her. I have spoken all these to my mum several times although in a more diplomatic manner but nothing has ever changed. what should I do ?
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by dahmie2013: 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2013
Wow, quite a long one though but took my time 2 read nywy. Bro, two wrongs cannot make a right, ur case isn't surprising as there are many more married women who also believe the man is to take full responsibility of their kids without them contributing one naira to them. The thing is, thank God u have a Father who is willing and able to provide for ur needs,so this has not stopped u from achieving some of ur goals in life, see their marriage as a something u need to learn from rather than transfer the aggression on innocent ladies who are interested in having a serious or good relationship with u.

Also, u cant always have ur cake and eat it. The most important thing is ur Father is @ least providing, dont interfere in their marriage cos u will never be objective rather, pray for them and also pray for wisdom so u dont allow wat is happening affect ur relationship with other's. Its advisable u call ur mother, they have made their mistakes, it will be too bad if u have a family raised in this same manner wen u now have the opportunity to witness such and learn from the situation.

Its so sad we underestimate the power of prayers, but I tell u the things we tend to think prayers wont solve are the things it solves the most. Call ur mum, u can also sit both of them down and air ur views to them rather than nursing the pain and exploding it on other ppl. They are ur parents, ur mum loves u more than u can ever think, so sit her down and talk. Communication will solve alot of problems like urs and dont involve outsiders like uncles or aunties.

Finally, U're being a bad child! cool
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jul 10, 2013
Hey buddy! First of all , the earlier the better you get it to your brain that you are responsible for your own actions the better and stop blaming your parents and their sibling failed relationship pattern to cover up your unacceptable behaviour.

Second if all, you too like money, it's soo sad you base your relationship cordiality on monetary gain cos that's simply what's happening here, so what if your mom is cripple, Gawd forbid would you condemn her and ignore her because she's no use?

Change your attitude , she's your mom no matter what the circumstances , I like money oh don't get me wrong , but I don't live for it even tho it get things done faster and makes life a whole lot easier,STILL there's nothing valuable like family especially your parents.

In conclusion, you're not bad, you are just on the path of being a terrible person and thank Gawd your conscience is eating you up already so theres hope for a change and the earlier the better you change your ways.

Repulsing yourself from less privilege people ONLY because of their financial status for your own benefit don't only paints you BAD , also GREEDY and A MONGREL too cool, there's a whole lot of good a person can be without money.( I think undecided.... just kidding , I'm sure bout that grin)

Scratch that cool

That being said, there are bad and terrible people with bad intentions out there so don't get carried away, the advice is only applied to your parents.

1 Like

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by greatgod2012(f): 12:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
First, you are not a bad child, you are human, hence, you have feeling too and have the right to show your feeling, which i think you've had enough of it. Also, now that you have realise that, that is how she(your mum) is, i want to put it to you that you know that 2 wrongs can never make a right, shes stubborn, you are stubborn, so, who will now succumb, i guess you are. Therefore, take your phone, call her, greet her and apologise for not calling since. Not because it is a must, but because it is the right thing to do, and remember, if you are too far from her, how will you be able to correct some of her uncalled attitudes, abi, you think, children cannot correct their parents, they can, but it takes wisdom and tact, so, get all those grudges behind you and do the right thing, its after then you will be able to correct some things you are not comfortable with. Start from there and lets see how it goes.
May God grant you the wisdom needed to do things aright.

And as for your dad, yes, he knows the implications of marital infidelity, but its not wrong if you ask him why he is indulging in it, that will help you to know and address the root cause.
May God help you.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 12:34pm On Jul 10, 2013
jidegirl12: Hey buddy! First of all , the earlier the better you get it to your brain that you are responsible for your own actions the better and stop blaming your parents and their sibling failed relationship pattern to cover up your unacceptable behaviour.

Second if all, you too like money, it's soo sad you base your relationship cordiality on monetary gain cos that's simply what's happening here, so what if your mom is cripple, Gawd forbid would you condemn her and ignore her because she's no use?

Change your attitude , she's your mom no matter what the circumstances , I like money oh don't get me wrong , but I don't live for it even tho it get things done faster and makes life a whole lot easier,STILL there's nothing valuable like family especially your parents.

In conclusion, you're not bad, you are just on the path of being a terrible person and thank Gawd your conscience is eating you up already so theres hope for a change and the earlier the better you change your ways.

Repulsing yourself from less privilege people ONLY because of their financial status for your own benefit don't only paints you BAD , also GREEDY and A MONGREL too cool, there's a whole lot of good a person can be without money.( I think undecided.... just kidding , I'm sure bout that grin)

Scratch that cool

That being said, there are bad and terrible people with bad intentions out there so don't get carried away, the advice is only applied to your parents.
In summary I am truely a bad child and cos my parents are what they are, my parents that makes them always right and I do not have a the moral stand to allow their behaviour and choices affect me in any way wether they are right or wrong. I need to work on myself then cool cool cool
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 12:36pm On Jul 10, 2013
@greatgod and @dammie, thanks. And can I just request that the moderators and morderatresses cool cool not put this on the front page ?

PLEASE NO FRONT PAGE. THANKS.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by EfemenaXY: 12:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
@OP, at 25 years of age, you're no longer a child but an adult AND expected to act like one.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with your mother confiding in you, and asking you to at least have a word with your father. She was simply seeking emotional support from you which you hastily shirked, so it's no wonder she's disappointed in your actions and decided to play out the silent card on you.

Sometimes when dealing with conflict, rather than having a full blown-out argument with the other party, most people would rather have a sort of independent, unbiased mediator chair the conversation rather than bring in biased family members. You've already ascertained that your parents relationship with their siblings leaves much to be desired anyway.

Additionally, it never ceases to amaze me, this gimmie-gimmie culture from Nigerian youths. Do you not think that at your age, rather than begrudge you mother for not spending her money the way you wanted, to please you; you should be the one earning your own living and contributing to help her now she's in her mid / later years of life? Even if she never 'spent' money on you the way you expected, was she not there physically, supporting you emotionally? Do you measure the supportiveness of one's parents to their kids based on finance only? There are several ways to support your child and money is just one of many. It's not the be-all-and-end-all.

From what I've heard about civil servants / workers, their pay from the government isn't that much anyway, and your parents had what? Four of you? Did she ever disclose to you how much she earned and exactly what she spent her money on? Did she provide you with an income / expenses sheet that broke down how and what she spent her money on? If not, then it really isn't your place to judge her as being 'thrifty'.

Believe it or not, as a working mother, a large chunk of my earnings go towards the different investment options I've set up for all of my kids. I don't believe in laying all my eggs in one basket. I've got a varied range of investment vehicles for each and everyone of them ranging from your simple, no risk savings accounts, to medium risk government bonds and high risk stocks and shares in venture capital market businesses. So yes, you win some and you loose some. It's no different to what your mum tried to do i.e: setting up businesses at one time or the other which as you've eloquently described as 'wasted ventures'. Give credit where it's due. At least she tried to make a go of it.

Now let's recap on some of your angst against your mother:

Pata1: I am using the word "thrifty" now for want of a better word. I bet you cant know the extent of what I mean. As a child going through high school, college and now studying for a higher degree, I can boldly tell you that my mom have never given me beyond a cash of 2000naira (two thousand naira) when returning back to school and most times, she does not even give me a penny. My mom retired from civil service a little less than a year now though my dad is till working, I make bold to say that this thrifty nature has been around us since childhood. When I was much younger and not until when I went to college, my mom would split my upkeep into two and keep half telling us children that she was teaching us how to save and helping us to save for our future. It wouldnt have mattered if she had truly re-invested all that money back into my life when it really mattered but It doesnt even seem as if she believes she holds any financila responsibility towards us as children. My dad has paid 99.9999% of all the money that has ever been expended on us as children especially towards our education. personally, I feel this behaviour may have contributed towards my dads indiscipline and promiscuity although I am not trying to excuse his irresponsible behaviour here.

I lost a scholarship lately for my masters and had to make do with a poorer choice due to my moms lack of financial commitment towards my education. My dad had so much bills to pay and he did tell me to hold on for another year so he could come up with it but i declined knowing how hard itd be for him. My mom fully aware of my dilemna at that time did not offer to contribute a single penny despite being a civil servant herself.

Now take a step back and look at the highlighted bits in bold. What does that tell you about your attitude? Your come across as a person who even at 25 is willing to sit back and blame his mother for life not turning out to be what you expected. A gimmie-gimmie, I deserve this, I deserve that, I deserve it all.

What would you say if I told you that as a married woman, I footed the bill for my masters degree alone. I worked and saved up for it. And even while undertaking the degree, I had a number of children all under the age of five. I was working part-time, schooling full-time AND heavily pregnant with the next child! So, if I a woman, (the weaker sex) could hold my own, then who are you, a young man, not to be able to do better?

Please, give your mother a break and grow up jare. Pick up the phone and apologize to her for your behaviour and until you do so, you really are a bad terrible child. You're lucky to have parents that support you. Show some appreciation and quit holding malice with your mum like a spiteful teenager.

There is an old African saying: "Never let the sun settle on an argument else you might live to regret it in the morning..."

Your mother is here now with you. Pick up the phone and do the right thing! Shikena.

2 Likes

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 1:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
Efemena_xy: @OP, at 25 years of age, you're no longer a child but an adult AND expected to act like one.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with your mother confiding in you, and asking you to at least have a word with your father. She was simply seeking emotional support from you which you hastily shirked, so it's no wonder she's disappointed in your actions and decided to play out the silent card on you.

Sometimes when dealing with conflict, rather than having a full blown-out argument with the other party, most people would rather have a sort of independent, unbiased mediator chair the conversation rather than bring in biased family members. You've already ascertained that your parents relationship with their siblings leaves much to be desired anyway.

Additionally, it never ceases to amaze me, this gimmie-gimmie culture from Nigerian youths. Do you not think that at your age, rather than begrudge you mother for not spending her money the way you wanted, to please you; you should be the one earning your own living and contributing to help her now she's in her mid / later years of life? Even if she never 'spent' money on you the way you expected, was she not there physically, supporting you emotionally? Do you measure the supportiveness of one's parents to their kids based on finance only? There are several ways to support your child and money is just one of many. It's not the be-all-and-end-all.

From what I've heard about civil servants / workers, their pay from the government isn't that much anyway, and your parents had what? Four of you? Did she ever disclose to you how much she earned and exactly what she spent her money on? Did she provide you with an income / expenses sheet that broke down how and what she spent her money on? If not, then it really isn't your place to judge her as being 'thrifty'.

Believe it or not, as a working mother, a large chunk of my earnings go towards the different investment options I've set up for all of my kids. I don't believe in laying all my eggs in one basket. I've got a varied range of investment vehicles for each and everyone of them ranging from your simple, no risk savings accounts, to medium risk government bonds and high risk stocks and shares in venture capital market businesses. So yes, you win some and you loose some. It's no different to what your mum tried to do i.e: setting up businesses at one time or the other which as you've eloquently described as 'wasted ventures'. Give credit where it's due. At least she tried to make a go of it.

Now let's recap on some of your angst against your mother:

Now take a step back and look at the highlighted bits in bold. What does that tell you about your attitude? Your come across as a person who even at 25 is willing to sit back and blame his mother for life not turning out to be what you expected. A gimmie-gimmie, I deserve this, I deserve that, I deserve it all.

What would you say if I told you that as a married woman, I footed the bill for my masters degree alone. I worked and saved up for it. And even while undertaking the degree, I had a number of children all under the age of five. I was working part-time, schooling full-time AND heavily pregnant with the next child! So, if I a woman, (the weaker sex) could hold my own, then who are you, a young man, not to be able to do better?

Please, give your mother a break and grow up jare. Pick up the phone and apologize to her for your behaviour and until you do so, you really are a bad terrible child. You're lucky to have parents that support you. Show some appreciation and quite holding malice with your mum like a spiteful teenager.

There is an old African saying: "Never let the sun settle on an argument else you might live to regret it in the morning..."

Your mother is here now with you. Pick up the phone and do the right thing! Shikena.

THank you so much, you are God sent. Though I feel you were unnecessarily harsh on me and I believe your angst was as a result of you being a mother yourself but, i still appreciate your input. Thanks for your time and contribution.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2013
@ Poster . . .

1. You are not too young to act like your Dad's insensitivity towards his marriage to your mum is none of your business. Your own mother came to you with her problem and you turned her down . . that's cold!

True, your Dad is 55 years old but he behaves like he's 35 . . . Does he really know the dangers of infidelity or is he being deceived by the society's culture of 'looking the other way' undecided

Does he know how his actions affect you, his children? I think you are man enough to tell him . . .

2. Most mums are thrifty by nature . . . I don't even want to begin with my own story. Women in the past were led to believe that the man has 100% of financial responsibilities in the home. She's kind enough to even add extra pocket money for you, mine didn't even bother.

Also you mentioned that she's a pensioner . . . why do you think she'll want to spend her pension money on you while your own father squanders his earnings womanizing, especially after you refused to do anything about it. Not trying to justify her actions here but you can see that if we want to, we can excuse ANYTHING! So trying to blame your dad's womanizing on your mum is waaay off base!

3. You are a 25yr old man . . grow some balls. Where is your self respect as a man? Getting into petty quarrels with your highly emotional mother, who has to deal with a philandering partner every day of her life is a bit petty! Have you ever really talked to her about how her 'thriftiness' has affected you? Holding a grudge against her will only create a wider gap between you two!

4. I can see you still have a conscience so NO, you are not a 'bad child'. You can still correct your mistakes . . . Better late than NEVER!

2 Likes

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ujujoan: @ Poster . . .

1. You are not too young to act like your Dad's insensitivity towards his marriage to your mum is none of your business. Your own mother came to you with her problem and you turned her down . . that's cold!

True, your Dad is 55 years old but he behaves like he's 35 . . . Does he really know the dangers of infidelity or is he being deceived by the society's culture of 'looking the other way' undecided

Does he know how his actions affect you, his children? I think you are man enough to tell him . . .

2. Most mums are thrifty by nature . . . I don't even want to begin with my own story. Women in the past were led to believe that the man has 100% of financial responsibilities in the home. She's kind enough to even add extra pocket money for you, mine didn't even bother.

Also you mentioned that she's a pensioner . . . why do you think she'll want to spend her pension money on you while your own father squanders his earnings womanizing, especially after you refused to do anything about it. Not trying to justify her actions here but you can see that if we want to, we can excuse ANYTHING! So trying to blame your dad's womanizing on your mum is waaay off base!

3. You are a 25yr old man . . grow some balls. Where is your self respect as a man? Getting into petty quarrels with your highly emotional mother, who has to deal with a philandering partner every day of her life is a bit petty! Have you ever really talked to her about how her 'thriftiness' has affected you? Holding a grudge against her will only create a wider gap between you two!

4. I can see you still have a conscience so NO, you are not a 'bad child'. You can still correct your mistakes . . . Better late than NEVER!
Thank you, Ill do the needful.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2013
Pata1: In summary I am truely a bad child and cos my parents are what they are, my parents that makes them always right and I do not have a the moral stand to allow their behaviour and choices affect me in any way wether they are right or wrong. I need to work on myself then cool cool cool

I didn't say that^^ at least not yet so stop the paranoia shiatsu grin

And yes, they( parents) are who they chose to be, yeah I heard ''you emulate your parents ways'' but that's kinda archaic and not applicable to many people today anymore.......Life is how you make it for yourself. You are responsible for your own actions..... 10years max down the lane they apologize for their mistakes and inconsistencies they've put you thru , you forgive them, if you have already made a mess of your own life you're on your own oh and Guess what? They will tell you that too.

They are they, you are you = Eshe baba ko gba omo la.

And you're right, work on yourself. Good luck bud'
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 10, 2013
Pata1: THank you so much, you are God sent. Though I feel you were unnecessarily harsh on me and I believe your angst was as a result of you being a mother yourself but, i still appreciate your input. Thanks for your time and contribution.
At least d message sank in. That was d intent.just like an elder sis admonishing her younger bro.
I wish u d best.

1 Like

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by kpolli(m): 2:48pm On Jul 10, 2013
Honestly speaking, I don't think your a bad child....

It's hard saying this but I honestly don't think your mother is good....

Well I won't advice u to forget ur mother, so call her often just to check up on her.... dazzall

If u succumb, u would end up like her and the cycle would continue... It's good to rebel sometimes... wink

1 Like

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by baby124: 4:17pm On Jul 10, 2013
You are not a bad child. At all. You have been severly affected in life by your dads philandering and your mothers vindictiveness. Your mother is being vindictive, yes, because she knows she is a religious hypocrite and cannot leave that marriage even if she tried. I say she is a hypocrite because she takes your money with the claims that she wants to invest it, but steals it and uses it for her own benefit. At the expense of her children's comfort. She puts all the responsibility on your dad, because she has the Nigerian woman mentality that their responsibility ends at giving birth. And then they wonder why when it is time to split, the men hold on to their kids. She is probably doing it because she feels he will have less money to philander. The problem with philanderer's is they always find a way to satisfy their urges. Even if their children and family starve. You are grown now and you need to step into this situation respectfully. Talk to both of them about what they are doing and how it is affecting you children. I hope you kept a record of the money your mother took from you over the years, please demand that money or ask for the account it was kept in. Show her your records and add interest. make sure you collect it too, as you see she doesnt part with her own money. If your dad gives you money stop discussing it with your mum. Send her love messages, and love messages to your dad too. I suspect you are the first born, call both of them and sit them down when you get home. The pour your heart out to both. Focus on your education and do well so that you can earn the respect you deserve. In a few years, they will both become your dependant, and like your own kids. grin grin grin. They wont have a choice but to listen to you.

1 Like

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by EfemenaXY: 4:36pm On Jul 10, 2013
baby_123: You are not a bad child. At all. You have been severly affected in life by your dads philandering and your mothers vindictiveness. Your mother is being vindictive, yes, because she knows she is a religious hypocrite and cannot leave that marriage even if she tried. I say she is a hypocrite because she takes your money with the claims that she wants to invest it, but steals it and uses it for her own benefit. At the expense of her children's comfort. She puts all the responsibility on your dad, because she has the Nigerian woman mentality that their responsibility ends at giving birth. And then they wonder why when it is time to split, the men hold on to their kids. She is probably doing it because she feels he will have less money to philander. The problem with philanderer's is they always find a way to satisfy their urges. Even if their children and family starve. You are grown now and you need to step into this situation respectfully. Talk to both of them about what they are doing and how it is affecting you children. I hope you kept a record of the money your mother took from you over the years, please demand that money or ask for the account it was kept in. Show her your records and add interest. make sure you collect it too, as you see she doesnt part with her own money. If your dad gives you money stop discussing it with your mum. Send her love messages, and love messages to your dad too. I suspect you are the first born, call both of them and sit them down when you get home. The pour your heart out to both. Focus on your education and do well so that you can earn the respect you deserve. In a few years, they will both become your dependant, and like your own kids. grin grin grin. They wont have a choice but to listen to you.

shocked shocked shocked

Na wa o! Baby are you being sarcastic here?? grin grin

Anyway, his mum didn't take money from him. His money?? She's a civil servant and according to him, whatever she had, she would split it. Give some to the kids and the other, tried to reinvest in some sort of business. Unfortunately the business(es) never took off, hence the @OP's frustration. I bet you though, if her business(es) thrived, he'd be singing a completely different tune.

Yeah, like you, I too suspect he's probably the first child of his parents, so there must have been some sort of competition to vye for his attention? Be that as it may, he's now an adult and needs to sit up. Rather than looking back to the past and playing out the blame card, he should be focusing on how to help his younger ones, himself, and his parents. Now's the best time for him to work towards that before he gets hitched.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by baby124: 4:41pm On Jul 10, 2013
Efemena_xy:

shocked shocked shocked

Na wa o! Baby are you being sarcastic here?? grin grin

Anyway, his mum didn't take money from him. His money?? She's a civil servant and according to him, whatever she had, she would split it. Give some to the kids and the other, tried to reinvest in some sort of business. Unfortunately the business(es) never took off, hence the @OP's frustration. I bet you though, if her business(es) thrived, he'd be singing a completely different tune.

Yeah, like you, I too suspect he's probably the first child of his parents, so there must have been some sort of competition to vye for his attention? Be that as it may, he's now an adult and needs to sit up. Rather than looking back to the past and playing out the blame card, he should be focusing on how to help his younger ones, himself, and his parents. Now's the best time for him to work towards that before he gets hitched.

When I was much younger and not until when I went to college, my mom would split my upkeep into two and keep half telling us children that she was teaching us how to save and helping us to save for our future. It wouldnt have mattered if she had truly re-invested all that money back into my life when it really mattered but It doesnt even seem as if she believes she holds any financila responsibility towards us as children. My dad has paid 99.9999% of all the money that has ever been expended on us as children especially towards our education. personally, I feel this behaviour may have contributed towards my dads indiscipline and promiscuity although I am not trying to excuse his irresponsible behaviour here.

Which upkeep? The upkeep they get from their dad of course. She takes it and gives them half of it. SMH. No Efe, i am not being sarcastic. I read well. That she takes their money and reinvests it in failed business enterprises. cheesy. Hes an adult, and we know what adult means in Nigeria when at 25, he is dependant on his parents for his education and sustenance. Very little he can do, except endure till he is able to stand on his feet. Or drop out of school and struggle. At least he is not doing yahoo, so let us give him credit. He can find a small side job though. He seems like a smart guy
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by EfemenaXY: 4:45pm On Jul 10, 2013
^^ It doesn't categorically state that the dad gave the money to their mum on his behalf.

Why would he do so? Even though she was working? Was he living out of town or something? I don't know sha, but let @OP come and clarify his story jor. It's ambiguous...
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by baby124: 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ It doesn't categorically state that the dad gave the money to their mum on his behalf.

Why would he do so? Even though she was working? Was he living out of town or something? I don't know sha, but let @OP come and clarify his story jor. It's ambiguous...

99.9999999 = 100% support from the father. So where does the mum's money come in Obviously when they ask for money, popsie will give momsie money to distribute amongst them. This is normal. Then she decides to keep half for what ever business enterprise comes up at the expense of her kids. All in the name of being thrifty. Kids see their small pocket change go down the toilet day after day on failed ideas, while they struggle to survive. And madam makes sure she hardly parts with her money. Both parents need to be talked to.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by k2039: 5:01pm On Jul 10, 2013
Family section with their long posts and replies.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 5:03pm On Jul 10, 2013
My dad has always worked in a different city so he comes around once in a month or twice depending on the distance and ofcourse while going he drops us children money for feeding in school for the duration of the period he will be away. Thats different from the money he drops with my mom for daily running of the house of course. So i was referring to the money we were given for lunch in school by my dad. By and large I have learnt so far that nobody is pefect and my mom is probably being affected by her own upbringing too which I personally consider as abysmal. Her parents were very wealthy but found it hard to spend for their children. Even when they were young and as we speak, they have houses scattered in my moms home town with nobody to administer. What am trying to say is that, my mom may be affectec by that negative impression her own parents gave. I am not whining like some have opined. I am only trying to put my hurt away cos sometimes i wonder how my mom could watch me go through the pains i go through when she could have made life alot easier for me by spending just a little. I dont expect any body to know how it feels so I will never be offended if you think I am just being an ingrate.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by EfemenaXY: 5:08pm On Jul 10, 2013
Pata1: My dad has always worked in a different city so he comes around once in a month or twice depending on the distance and ofcourse while going he drops us children money for feeding in school for the duration of the period he will be away. Thats different from the money he drops with my mom for daily running of the house of course. So i was referring to the money we were given for lunch in school by my dad. By and large I have learnt so far that nobody is pefect and my mom is probably being affected by her own upbringing too which I personally consider as abysmal. Her parents were very wealthy but found it hard to spend for their children. Even when they were young and as we speak, they have houses scattered in my moms home town with nobody to administer. What am trying to say is that, my mom may be affectec by that negative impression her own parents gave. I am not whining like some have opined. I am only trying to put my hurt away cos sometimes i wonder how my mom could watch me go through the pains i go through when she could have made life alot easier for me by spending just a little. I dont expect any body to know how it feels so I will never be offended if you think I am just being an ingrate.

Questions:

1. Were you in a boarding school?

2. So did your dad drop this money with you and your siblings? Or he gave everything to your mother??
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 5:11pm On Jul 10, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Questions:

1. Were you in a boarding school?

2. So did your dad drop this money with you and your siblings? Or he gave everything to your mother??
i never attended a boarding school. He works in another state and comes home once or twice in a month therefore the need to drop money for us when hes gone.
And it does nt matter whom he drops it with cos even if he drops it with us children, we cant be left to keep a months lunch fee by ourselves. We will eventually have to give it back to our mom for safe keep when hes gone.
And then when we have to collect it in the morning, the deduction starts
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by EfemenaXY: 5:16pm On Jul 10, 2013
Pata1: i never attended a boarding school. He works in another state and comes home once or twice in a month therefore the need to drop money for us when hes gone.
And it does nt matter whom he drops it with cos even if he drops it with us children, we cant be left to keep a months lunch fee by ourselves. We will eventually have to give it back to our mom for safe keep when hes gone.
And then when we have to collect it in the morning, the deduction starts

hmmm....

Anyway, like I mentioned earlier, it's all in the past. Learn to let go. Learn from what you've experienced so when eventually you have your own family and kids, you'll know exactly what to guard against.

I still suggest that you put pride aside and call your mother. Don't let the sun settle on your argument...
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jul 11, 2013
Oh boy this one hard me o.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by bellong: 11:15am On Jul 12, 2013
Starting with the "thrifty" nature you described about your mum. You expressly stated that she was a civil servant, though you never gave us hint about her level in civil service. You have told us that she is the religious type and also hinted she has plans for business/investment ventures which collapsed. In putting the bits of information together, I can come up with this below.

I know in civil service that workers are paid peanut during your mum's days and she being the religious type may not want to cut corners like her colleagues in the office, hence being very economical with the little she had. She probably is in the believe that you have no need of the pocket money since you eat at home. She felt, it could be better put into reasonable ventures than allowing you squander it. I do not believe she has or had any evil/negative intention against you during your upbringing. Deep down her, she wanted the best for you though she may be expressing it in a wrong and inappropriate way. I guess that was what she thought the best way to do it. You will agree with me that your dad's distance also is a big psychological stuff to handle in catering for you and your siblings. Fear of financial management and trying to meet up with basic responsibilities from the money given by your dad and what she earns. There is no pointer in your story that she is the wasteful and owanbe type who wastes money on frivolities. I am convinced if she had a good financial advisor, those money today will be reaping you and your siblings good fortune. You need not heap the whole blame on her entirely for her wrong investment decision.

Your dad may be keeping up with his responsibilities financially but from your described story, he has failed in some others as a father. If at this time, you do not have that confidence in talking the truth with your dad as son to father, it means the emotional and father-son friendship bond was not created by your dad which is one of the many moral, social and psychological responsibilities expected of him. From your post, the only reason why you have that huge respect for him is the fact that he never failed in his financial responsibilities. To be a dad is more than dropping money. The distance too directly/indirectly affected your mum and her decisions, if only you can sit with her and let her reminisce the past with you, you will understand this part.

Your mum trusted you as her son and probably respects your sense of judgement on issues, that was why she was convinced that if you speak with your dad, it may bring forth positive change but you turned it down. Let me tell you, in dealing with your parents, its a parent-child relationship in which every party is expected to speak the truth to all respectfully. There is nothing wrong in talking to your dad about it, what will be wrong is if you are rude and disrespectful about it. Infact, if you do it, your dad will respect and hold you in high esteem for it. Your refusal may have broken her heart and she in turn resorting to cold war (that is wrong for her to do as a mother).

I will urge you that you do not allow whatever negativity you have in your upbringing to affect a glorious destiny ahead of you. Pray, use wisdom, read books that help character formation and keep friends who can help build you up in your attainment to becoming a better person. Please, do not transfer aggression to innocent young girls, its no fault of theirs that you had a problem growing up. Do not date anybody now until you are sure that you are in a right mind and spirit to nurture a relationship to fruition.

Finally, pick up your phone, call your mum and apologise. Tell her you were sorry you turned her down when she needed you and fix an appointment to have a discussion with her. She is older now than when you used to have a fruitless discussion, she will be open to it. If she accepts, tell her your mind and let her understand why you are doing that. I believe you will be better after it. In between you are not a bad child.

It is well with you

3 Likes

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 10:53am On Jul 18, 2013
Thank you everybody for your contribution. I have done as you all advised, I have made sure to call my mom everyday of the week for close to two weeks now since you guys said I should call her. I wasnt able to call her yesterday though due to lack of power on my phone. The issue is she has not even called my number for once since I started calling her. I do not intend to discuss anything with her about the reasons for her hostility. i was prepared not to call her number for a year if it came to that initially but due to the advise that I got on this forum I decided to honour you guys. And about wether I betrayed her trust, I believe whatever is happening in my parents marriage is not my business. As long as each of them live up to their responsiblilities as father and mother, I feel it is left for them to sort out each other as far as spousal issues are concerned. They are both adults and whatever they have both made out of their marriage honestly is not my business. I am sorry if I sound harsh but I do not intend to intrude that was why I politely turned down my mothers request that I speak with my dad about his promiscuity.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Chaulay1: 12:20pm On Jul 18, 2013
Pata1: Thank you everybody for your contribution. I have done as you all advised, I have made sure to call my mom everyday of the week for close to two weeks now since you guys said I should call her. I wasnt able to call her yesterday though due to lack of power on my phone. The issue is she has not even called my number for once since I started calling her. I do not intend to discuss anything with her about the reasons for her hostility. i was prepared not to call her number for a year if it came to that initially but due to the advise that I got on this forum I decided to honour you guys. And about wether I betrayed her trust, I believe whatever is happening in my parents marriage is not my business. As long as each of them live up to their responsiblilities as father and mother, I feel it is left for them to sort out each other as far as spousal issues are concerned. They are both adults and whatever they have both made out of their marriage honestly is not my business. I am sorry if I sound harsh but I do not intend to intrude that was why I politely turned down my mothers request that I speak with my dad about his promiscuity.
[quote author=Pata1]

@OP, u dont sound only harsh but also VERY SELFISH! Can't you just do what is right and forget whether she is reciprocating by calling you back? Her not calling you back is not an issue, you've been calling her for just 2 weeks for heaven's sake. You do the right thing and don't expect instant reward or change from your mum. In your own words, u called her becos you want to honour invisible people on nairaland and not because you've had a change of heart. Abeg, go and honour your father and mother o and not people you dont know.

Hmmm... so what is happening in your parent's marriage is none of your business? This is really sad. God I pray unto you this day, may my children never reason like this. May they never have any cause to utter such heartless words. May they always show interest in our marriage, our home and our peace. AMEN
You are only interested in their living up to their responsibilities as father and mother (not as husband and wife). Is this not selfishness? You want them to fulfill their responsibilities to you but you are not concerned about the state of their marriage- it is none of your business you said shocked shocked shocked
Seriously, I don't know what to say to you but please you are rather insensitive especially to your mum.
It is well o!

1 Like

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 12:48pm On Jul 18, 2013
[quote author=Chaulay1][/quote] Thanks for your response but dont you think you are unnecessarily being paranoid ? I said it is not my right to call my parents to order. Is that a crime ? You may be confortable rebuking your own parents but as far as i am concerned, what they have made out of their marriage I repeat is non of my business. For crying out loud, they are my parents and the fact that I have to rebuke them as you suggest is an anormally. They are the ones who should be laying down good examples. Anyway, my reason for not wanting to interfere in their marriage especially as it involves the issue of fidelity is because I understand that the issue of faithfulness between a couple is a personal thing. For the record, we do not even have enuogh proof although we are sure he is involved in extramarital affairs. When it comes to couples and their sexx lives, a child is not the right person to adjudicate. I do respect my parents and I accept non of them is perfect. They are old enough to understand the consequences of their actions therefore, i can only be optimistic that they live a responsible life. i cannot force it on them. The decision whether to speak to him should be a choice I have to make and my decision whether to do that or not ought to be respected. stop being unnecessarily drammatic for christ sake and my posting back on this thread was to give the posters who had earlier adviced me a feedback. Thanks all the same.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 12:51pm On Jul 18, 2013
[quote author=Chaulay1][/quote] Thanks for your response but dont you think you are unnecessarily being paranoid ? I said it is not my right to call my parents to order. Is that a crime ? You may be confortable rebuking your own parents but as far as i am concerned, what they have made out of their marriage I repeat is non of my business. For crying out loud, they are my parents and the fact that I have to rebuke them as you suggest is an anormally. They are the ones who should be laying down good examples. Anyway, my reason for not wanting to interfere in their marriage especially as it involves the issue of fidelity is because I understand that the issue of faithfulness between a couple is a personal thing. For the record, we do not even have enuogh proof although we are sure he is involved in extramarital affairs. When it comes to couples and their sexx lives, a child is not the right person to adjudicate. I do respect my parents and I accept non of them is perfect. They are old enough to understand the consequences of their actions therefore, i can only be optimistic that they live a responsible life. i cannot force it on them. The decision whether to speak to him should be a choice I have to make and my decision whether to do that or not ought to be respected. stop being unnecessarily drammatic for christ sake and my posting back on this thread was to give the posters who had earlier adviced me a feedback. Thanks all the same.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by slimyem: 1:26pm On Jul 18, 2013
Even if the op gets involved in the matter or tries to talk to his dad,It won't stop the infidelity. Like he said, a man of that age certainly knows what he is doing and is aware of the consequences that come with his actions Mother and Father should be left to deal with issues like this.

However,Pata1, don't neglect your mum and holding unnecessary grudges. She has enough to deal with coming from your dad. She should at least have you as a shoulder, a listener, and a comforter in some ways. Most mothers want the good of their children and I believe your mother is one of them. You have just really misunderstood and misinterpreted her actions and inactions over the years.

Even if your mother's contribution to your life and education was 0.01 percent,it is a lot. Some would give anything to have far less contribution from their mum. Some would give anything to just have their mum alive and well like yours is.
You are a man now and even though the road was a little rough,you got through it somehow. Cut her some slack please. Love and b e there for her as much as you can now that you still have her. All you said about her is nothing to grudge about.
Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by slimyem: 1:26pm On Jul 18, 2013
Even if the op gets involved in the matter or tries to talk to his dad,It won't stop the infidelity. Like he said, a man of that age certainly knows what he is doing and is aware of the consequences that come with his actions Mother and Father should be left to deal with issues like this.

However,Pata1, don't neglect your mum and holding unnecessary grudges. She has enough to deal with coming from your dad. She should at least have you as a shoulder, a listener, and a comforter in some ways. Most mothers want the good of their children and I believe your mother is one of them. You have just really misunderstood and misinterpreted her actions and inactions over the years.

Even if your mother's contribution to your life and education was 0.01 percent,it is a lot. Some would give anything to have far less contribution from their mum. Some would give anything to just have their mum alive and well like yours is.
You are a man now and even though the road was a little rough,you got through it somehow. Cut her some slack please. Love and b e there for her as much as you can now that you still have her. All you said about her is nothing to grudge about.

1 Like

Re: Am I A Bad Child ? by Pata1: 1:41pm On Jul 18, 2013
slimyem: Even if the op gets involved in the matter or tries to talk to his dad,It won't stop the infidelity. Like he said, a man of that age certainly knows what he is doing and is aware of the consequences that come with his actions Mother and Father should be left to deal with issues like this.

Thanks for your response. I am trying to bridge that gap now.

(1) (2) (Reply)

SO HEART-BREAKING: World's Most Tragic Wedding (PHOTOS) / Midea Chest Freezer Review – General Features & Prices In Nigeria / Is My Fear Of Raising Kids In Nigeria Irrational?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 191
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.