Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,653 members, 7,816,678 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:02 PM

Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar (1467 Views)

Mr Ibu , Mr. Raw , Emma Nyra And Others At Movie Première In Enugu - Photos / Mr Raw (formerly Known As Nigga Raw) Is Now A Father / Dat Nigga Raw [obodo Remix]have U Heard It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by gbolakpine(m): 2:30pm On Jul 12, 2013
I just heard this Nigerian artiste Mr. Ukeje Okechukwu Edward, a.k.a Mr Raw, formerly known as ‘Nigga Raw has decided to change is stage name from 'Nigga' to 'Mr.' Raw, In a chat with Weekend Groove, role model of upcoming Hip Hop acts in Eastern Nigeria speaks on his absence, his music and why he changed his name from ‘Nigga Raw’ to ‘Mr. Raw’.
Here's what he said about his decision to change his stage name to what it is presently...
The change of name actually came about because on-air personalities could not say my name without driving another connotation to it. It was affecting information about me. Some foreign stations like MTV Base couldn’t play my music until I removed the word ‘Nigga’ from my name. I had to do it. But what actually gave me the push to change my name to Mr. Raw was when many people complained that they weren’t able to buy my songs online.

I had to search for my name online and I didn’t see it in one of the popular websites. But when I searched for one of my songs it popped up. I saw that they censored ‘Nigga’ and replaced it with five stars. So if you search for Nigga Raw you wouldn’t find it unless you searched for one of my songs. Nigerians outside the country buy songs online before they get the hard copy.

So I had to change the name. Then again, if you are going to foreign embassies to get a visa, the promoter is usually scared of telling them at the embassy that a ‘Nigga’ wants to go to their country.

But really, the ‘Nigga’ in my name wasn’t like the American Nigger. Mine is actually an acronym NIGA which means Nigerian Guy Anakpo Raw (Nigerian Guy who is called Raw). But how many people would you be explaining this to?

What do you think about the decision of our very own Nigerian Rap Artiste?

http://mysuccesslane..com/2013/07/why-i-changed-my-name-from-nigga-raw-to.html

1 Like

Re: Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by Afam4eva(m): 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2013
That's why people need to do some research before choosing a stage name. I guess Mr Raw never knew that his music could go as far as it went, so he just stuck with that name cos if he knew, i don't know why he would stick to a word that has been censored for a long time.

1 Like

Re: Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by braine(m): 2:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
It was necessary to be changed. The 'Nigga' is quite offensive.
Re: Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by airmark(m): 3:07pm On Jul 12, 2013
I hope that could rescue his nose-diving fame.
Re: Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by dplomaticVal: 5:54pm On Jul 12, 2013
Oh! I now see why all my effort to dwnload his tracks online have alwys proved Futile. Honestly,this's blitheringly unfair and i dnt see any reason why these nefarious able-bodied men on top,mostly europeans,wil deny a luminous rap enigma like Raw his dues cause of a harmless moniker. Yet they won't sanction Lil Tunechi n his cohorts for encryptin lethal tattoos on their skin. wht im sayn in essence is tht a prsn shd be judged by his behavior and appearance nt by a common name. Fools.

1 Like

Re: Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by Bawss1(m): 6:17pm On Jul 12, 2013
dplomaticVal: Oh! I now see why all my effort to dwnload his tracks online have alwys proved Futile. Honestly,this's blitheringly unfair and i dnt see any reason why these nefarious able-bodied men on top,mostly europeans,wil deny a luminous rap enigma like Raw his dues cause of a harmless moniker. Yet they won't sanction Lil Tunechi n his cohorts for encryptin lethal tattoos on their skin. wht im sayn in essence is tht a prsn shd be judged by his behavior and appearance nt by a common name. Fools.

See this negro. So in your universe the N word is a harmless moniker? You obviously are not aware of the effect that words have.

I say Mr Raw was foolish for choosing that name in the first place, that was a bad choice that stemmed from ignorance. Thankfully he has corrected.
Re: Why I Changed My Name From ‘nigga Raw’ To ‘mr Raw’ – Ukeje Edwar by dplomaticVal: 4:39am On Jul 13, 2013
Λ Λ Hey mr.,It's completely unacceptable and totally abhorrent to civility For an individual or so-called group with its action compel one to alter his subriquet against his own wish.IF you rly have a Functionable cerebrum of which i Firmly doubt you have You'd ve perused somewhr in the lines whr he painstakingly explained how he came abt the name,and with his explanation any Right thinking Human wil see 'Niga' beyond its connotative or denotative meaning,bt rather as an innocuous acronym appended to his pseudonym.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Ajanaku Was Illiterate + How He Was Kicked Out Of Winner Chapel School / Identify The Nigerian Male Celeb With Makeup / Miley Cyrus Smokes Weed On Stage (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.