Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,451 members, 7,836,791 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

A Paralysed Man Gave Away £20,000 His Treatment Money To Save A Disabled Boy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Paralysed Man Gave Away £20,000 His Treatment Money To Save A Disabled Boy (672 Views)

Royal Father In Sex Scandal With Disabled Woman Of Four (Pictured) / Man Buys Honda SUV For Wife Who Gave Birth (pics) / Selfless paralysed man donates £20,000 to a youngster who needed vital surgery. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Paralysed Man Gave Away £20,000 His Treatment Money To Save A Disabled Boy by AllRoundGist: 2:55pm On Jul 12, 2013
This is the story of one of the very few angels and hero living among us today.
Four years ago, 25-years-old Dan Black was paralysed in a cycling accident and he also suffered a stroke which made him lose the use of his right arm.

Ever since, he has been raising money for pioneering stem cell treatment which could one day help him walk. After raising £20,000, this 25-years-old abandoned his own dream when he heard about a 5-years-old little boy, Brecon Vaughan, who has cerebral palsy and needs help to pay for surgery in the U.S to enable him take his first unaided steps.

Brecon was born with a rare spastic diplegia cerebral palsy which causes stiffness in his legs, poor balance and coordination. He has to use a walking frame to get around and his family are desperately trying to raise £60,000 for an operation in America to help him walk unaided for the first time.

Mr Black who is a wheelchair-bound said he made the extraordinary gesture because Brecon had a better chance of walking then he does. "I know for me that things aren't going to get better anytime soon, I just wanted to do something that could help someone whose life could get better. Brecon can definitely walk if he has the surgery. I wouldn't wish being paralysed on anyone, so if I can help someone walk, I will and I'm trying to give him something I can't have."

Mr Black was knocked off his bike by a car in 2009 on his way to work, he broke a vertebrae which left him paralysed from the chest down, he also suffered a stroke as he recovered in the hospital and that left him without the use of his right arm. He requires 24-hours care at his home in Lianvair Discoed, near Chepstow, which cost £180,000 a year.

Brecon was born with two dislocated hips. He was put in a pelvic harness at five days old and had had three operations by the time he was 13-months-old. His family are desperately trying to find £60,000 to send him to America for a procedure called selective dorsal rhizotomy.

His mother, 44-years-old Ann Drewery, described Mr Black's gift as 'Phenomenal'. She said, "What Dan has done is brilliant, so many people have helped Brecon and we are grateful to them all."

Brecon's father, 44-years-old Rob Vaughan, said, "Dan has given us a phenomenal amount of money. I don't think it is even possible to say how grateful we are or to put into words what it means. It's incredible! How do you even start saying thank you for something like that?"

Mr Black's mother, Michaela, said "It's heartwarming what Daniel has done. It's crazy that that young lad Brecon could be able to walk if he had the money. Daniel can't walk right now, and he accepts that. That little boy needs to be out playing football with his friends in the sunshine, not at home asking his mummy why he can't. I'm so proud of Daniel."

#This is an act of pure sacrifice which is very rare these days. Stories like this should make the headlines of news everyday....I'm sure it would lead to a better society. He is a true HERO!

http://www.allaroundgist.com/2013/07/a-paralysed-man-raised-20000-for-his.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfxQcLYHEd8

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Christian Home Meaning / The Origin Of White Wedding! / Ensuring No Injury At Home

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.