Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,732 members, 7,820,541 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:42 PM

Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 (1327 Views)

(CLOSED) Professional Logos For As Low As N0.00 For The First 10 Requests / Free Logos For First 15 People / Free Logos For The First 3 People To Drop Their Request (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by YoxTheProf(m): 8:49pm On Jul 13, 2013
So I was beginning to get tired of people calling me and rudely saying "what is it you're designing that you're charging this? Is it not the same thing Oluwachukwu Adesuileman is designing for N3000?"

Out of the frustration of having to say for the umpteenth time "but I am not Oluwachukwu Adesuileman and i definitely do not offer the same standard as him/her", I had to design this.

...and I'm still not Oluwachukwu Adesuileman or whatever the other designers (I'm being questioned about) names are! Pheeeewwww!

Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by flagship(m): 7:27am On Jul 16, 2013
lol. funny designs
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by Acidosis(m): 6:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
[...]

1 Like

Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by OKX(m): 8:34pm On Jul 16, 2013
lol...funny

art is really subjective to the individual and putting a fixed value on an artform is tricky.
clients pay for 'perceived value' of the logo, not the actual graphic itself.

the challenge is to work on the clients perception of the value of the work, and no single method is guaranteed to work.
it is usually a combo of:

pricing (some clients equate cost with quality, others do not)
appeal of the work itself (remember wot appeals to one person may not appeal equally to another)
charisma of the artist/ ability to sweet-talk or bamboozle d client (very essential especially if self-employed, or in a small firm where direct contact with the client is inevitable)
list and caliber of previous jobs done (an impressive portfolio tilts the scales in ur favour. some clients will like to brag abt using the same designers as certain successful brands, others may not)
ambiance of the design environment etc. (the picture of a successful artist may endear u to some clients, while it may make others feel ur 'overcharging' because uve 'arrived')

relying on the quality of the work alone to unlock a clients wallet may be a hard task, rather, assess the client and employ an arsenal of methods aimed at his mind. thats wot controls his wallet.

@yoxtheprof
truth is, ud b surprised that some client wld rather pay 30k for ur first design than the second.
its in the perception, not the work alone.

get a professional marketer and ud b surprised at wot ppl will b willing to pay for.

@acidosis
i think u deserve 2 logos man
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by Acidosis(m): 12:11am On Jul 17, 2013
^ ^ haha

Thanks bro...

Are you a graphic designer?

I learnt alot in your post!
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by VillageBoi(m): 1:47pm On Jul 17, 2013
Well said @ OKX

And sometimes clients go crazy lol - https://www.nairaland.com/1246040/worlds-most-expensive-famous-logos
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by YoxTheProf(m): 10:08pm On Jul 18, 2013
Buhahahaha!
Calm down everybody, calm down! Lolllz. As we usually say in my local parlance, 'no be who shout pass de win argument' and 'no be who first call lawyer na hin de win case'.

On a more serious note!

Even though this design and its caption were developed just for laughs (out of a true life situation I must admit), like everything else in life, it has generated a lot of debate.

In every debate, there will always be 3 parties. Those against, those for and those who will be neutral.

This image has been everywhere. BB, twitter, facebook (and of course nairaland) so I've been able to gather lots of fors and againsts.

First and foremost, brand identity is not a commodity and as such, there is no fixed price for it. The simplest basis for determining a price would be; the maximum the client is willing to pay, the minimum the identity developer is willing to collect and (an influencing factor on the first two) the value of what is given/received (whether actual or perceived). Even the almighty formula cannot generate a constant figure using this basis.

Having said that, I can now clearly state that the figures in this design were just to make a point while also creating symmetry between both prices 3000 - 30,000. I initially put $3000 there which is about what my international mentors charge but I felt many Nigerians won't see the reality in this joke because $3000 will be an unrealistic figure to them (you can visit the price list on www.justcreative.com and www.imjustcreative.com to confirm this dollar figures are actually charged by people).

Secondly, both the fors and against are perfectly right from their stand point. Let's see it this way; with N300,000 you can buy a car.

A Nigerian used 1992 model, manual transmission, Honda civic goes for plus or minus N300,000. If moving from point A to point B is your only rationale for buying a car you're always going to see spending N22,000,000 on a 2013 Mercedes-Benz GL550 as total madness. Does that make you wrong? Considering your rationale, you're definitely not wrong.

So if to you a logo is just a combination of shapes and colours which you paste on all materials that goes out of your shop, you should definitely not pay more than N3000 for a logo.

However, if you see and understand a logo to be just a step in the entirety of a brand identity process developed to attract, engage and compel the right market segment to patronize your product/service, you will not be looking for a N3000 designer. The experience required to do this is beyond practicing with coreldraw, illustrator and photoshop everyday.

This brings us back to the story of the cars. You're going for a dinner that has A CEO in attendance and you're hoping to give the guy a ride home so you can propose a multi-billion naira business to him along the way. (Let's put the fact that he would have come with a car aside) you think he'll enter a 1992 honda civic before a Benz GL550? Seriously? Even if he does, he'll give a man who seems never to have handled millions a business of billions? You think?

Some of those who argued for actually thought N30,000 was too small considering they've either paid or charged more for a logo design. At least I have a friend who once charged N1,000,000 and it was approved (that doesn't happen every day though).

As the Benz is beyond just movement but a show of class and prestige, the fors understand good brand identity involves stirring up the right emotions. Something I call RIGHT publicity; achieved through the CONSISTENT use of engaging and compelling designs (which requires a whole lot of research on consumer behaviour in relation to the particular product/service), right choice/tone of words and quality print (for various forms of advertising) to clearly distinguish and differentiate them from their competitors. Based on this rationale, we can perfectly conclude that the fors are also right.

Finally, I used to fall for the story of Mr B does the same thing for less till time and experience eventually revealed that the only reason most people usually leave Mr B and come to Mr A is because A offers something B doesn't - No one leaves a product/service they're satisfied with for another that offers the exact same thing in the exact same way and exist almost in the exact same place. So even if A’s prices were exact same as B’s from the beginning (except A suddenly makes things cheaper) it's something else that attracted the client to A (not price) and there’s a very good argument A deserves to charge more for it.

PS: Acidosis hasn’t paid; he has only spoken a couple of his opinion and believes HIS opinion qualifies him for a free logo. If he then pays N3000, we can be sure he is not just going to ask for the type of logo on the left above but might also demand for a share of www.yoxstudios.com. I’m sure this gives insight to the truth wedged between this joke of a design up there.

PPS: OKX, I’m truly impressed by your words because it does give me the perception you’ve got a lot of insight into marketing. You’re probably the man I’ve been looking for. However, I’ve lost money to too many marketing people who cajoled me by sending me fancy marketing terms copied from google but the only quantifiable ROI I got is a few facebook fans. Such numbers are not cashable in the bank. However, if you or someone you know can guarantee an increase in present monthly profit, I’m more than willing to agree to a partnership deal where such increase is shared on a percentage basis. If you’re interested, you can check www.yoxstudios.com for an overview of the company and you can contact me at yox@yoxstudios.com. I’m more than willing to work with you.

PPPS: Make una no too vex for my longgggg epistle! cheesy
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by OKX(m): 9:57pm On Jul 19, 2013
@yox

well, u nailed dat one.

end of discussion...lol

as regards d marketing thing, I'm not officially one...but like urself, dwindling resources and an earful of jargon from d so-called professionals forced my active participation in dat field.

I'm a digital artist like urself, focusing on animation...but like most creatives, I made d error of thinking d 'brilliance' I saw in my work was apparent to all, and dat it was all I needed to make money.

I suggestd a proficient marketer cos most true creatives lack and indeed have little patience for commerce n its strange rules.
I have a friend who spends as much time as he needs to perfect a logo to HIS satisfaction rather than d clients, much to d clients frustration- who would have been satisfied waaaay back wit his 3rd draft!
needless to say, he was always borderline broke.

the above is a summary of my xperience several years later, and a coin or two richer....lol

cheers
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by YoxTheProf(m): 12:16am On Jul 20, 2013
So Acidosis decided to delete his comment after making me spend hours on writing in a bid to demystify his misconception... That speaks a lot.
Re: Why Professionals Don't Design Logos For N3000 by YoxTheProf(m): 12:18am On Jul 20, 2013
Alright OKX! My search for a productive marketer continues.

(1) (Reply)

5 Top Video Editing Apps For Android [free] / Make Money By Taking Pictures / How Can I Add A Badge/logo To 3000 Images At Once?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.