Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,019 members, 7,838,564 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer (710 Views)

What's This ''first To Comment'' About? / Write One Comment About This Photo / My Personal Opinion About Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Juve4(m): 4:43pm On Jul 16, 2013
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie has sparked what could be described as“the battle of Africa’s Literary Giants”. Kiyoandfilo gathered that the author of ‘Americana’ in a recent interview, made nonsense of the Caine Prize for African Writing, which was won by Nigerian writer Tope Folarin.

In the interview conducted by American graduate student and blogger Aaron Bady, Chimamanda also made reference to another Ngerian writer Elnathan John, as “one of my boys”

Here's an excerpt
AB: I would love to ask you about the Caine Prize. I find it interesting that so many Nigerians are on the short list this year—that it’s four Nigerians out of five . . .

CA: Umm, why is that a problem? Watch it.

AB: Well, none of them are you!

CA: Elnathan was one of my boys in my workshop. But what’s all this over-privileging of the Caine Prize, anyway? I don’t want to talk about the Caine Prize, really. I suppose it’s a good thing, but for me it’s not the arbiter of the best fiction in Africa. It’s never been. I know that Chinelo is on the short list, too. But I haven’t even read the stories—I’m just not very interested. I don’t go the Caine Prize to look for the best in African fiction.

AB: Where do you go?

CA: I go to my mailbox, where my workshop people send me their stories. I could give you a list of ten—mostly in Nigeria—writers who I think are very good. They’re not on the Caine Prize short list.

Also, you do realize that Nigeria is the most populous country, and we have a crazy, chauvinistic nationalism. So when you say anything bad about Nigeria, we attack you, but when we all go back to Nigeria, we attack each other. That’s how it works. We’re very happy that there are four. Actually, we think all the people on the short list should be Nigerians, because we are born with the natural arrogance of the Nigerians. Of course, what’s wonderful is that there’s nothing to be arrogant about. Nigerians feel very superior to Ghana, for example, but then you go to Accra, and Accra actually works [laughs].

Who’s the other Nigerian on the short list? There’s Chinelo and Elnathan but I don’t know who the others are.

AB: Well, there are four: Elnathan [John], Chinelo [Okparanta], Tope [Folarin] . . . [Note: The fourth is Abubakar Adam Ibrahim] This is where I remember that my brain is extremely American; I mispronounce names left and right.

CA: Why is that American?

AB: Well, Yoruba and Igbo names don’t spell the way I expect. I get it when I’m teaching African literature and my students complain that every character has an impossible name. It’s kind of embarrassing, then, when I’m doing it, too, and I know I’m doing it.

CA: Why is it embarrassing? When I used to read these Russian novels when I was growing up, I had no idea how to pronounce the names, so I used to think, ok, this is character whose name starts with an I—you know how they have the Ivan, Ivanovich sorts of things—so I would just say, ok, this is the 'I' character. That’s actually very American, your reaction, being embarrassed. Why should you be? No, it’s very liberal. To be embarrassed that you think that Igbo and Yoruba names are confusing—but wouldn’t they be? You’re not a Yoruba or Igbo speaker. I think Polish names are confusing. The Cs and Ss, and the Cs and the Ws come too close together—it throws me off. It’s a very liberal thing.

Of course, I say this as kind of a pseudo-member of the tribe. That’s the other thing, since that part of the book is also— well, there’s a lot of self-mockery, a lot of poking fun at my own tribe. My American tribe is a left-leaning tribe that occupies a place of immense privilege. Most of my friends are people who care about organic food. And I care about organic food, but I’m also amused by it, and I laugh at it. Because, you know, there’s a vast, vast world out there that doesn’t care about locally sourced chicken, right? It’s one of the things that I want to poke pins in.
http://bostonreview.net/fiction/varieties-blackness

Apparently angered by Chimamanda’s comment, Abubakar Ibrahim who was also shortlisted for the 2013 Caine Prize took to twitter and fired;

“So the best African fiction is in Chimamanda Adichie's inbox? I hail thee, queen-god mother. Go f**k yourself, Chimamanda. Nonsense!”

Re: Chimamanda's Comment About The Caine Prize Angers Writer by Nobody: 5:21pm On Jul 16, 2013
Talkative

(1) (Reply)

The Beauties Of Intels Female Staffs / Do ATM In Your Area/Bank Pay? / NAIRALAND LOSS! My First Topic To Ever Make Front Page Is Gone!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.