Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,354 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:15 AM

Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. (1247 Views)

Happy Birthday, Albert Einstein!Things You Never Knew About The Scientist / Scientist Invent Death Test That Tell Us How Long We Will Live / Scientist Uncover "God's Bathtub" In Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Macelliot(m): 9:55pm On Jul 18, 2013
This are some of the reasons why Africans can't become scientist;
*lacking deep thinking and deep concentrations.
*Accepting an idea without proofs and solid evidence.
*Excess doubting and lacking deep imagination.
Any other reasons?
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by trekkie: 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2013
perhaps being unable to put a coherent post together? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 18, 2013
-not paying attention to details
-not enough commitment
-thinking too much of chopping money
-thinking too much of BOLE and EWA
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 19, 2013
they don't believe because its not possible for them
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 19, 2013
Macelliot: This are some of the reasons why Africans can't become scientist;
*lacking deep thinking and deep concentrations.
*Accepting an idea without proofs and solid evidence.
*Excess doubting and lacking deep imagination.
Any other reasons?
Even a 5years old will not toe this line of reasoning.
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by dack7(m): 10:04am On Jul 20, 2013
U're not serious,shut up,scientists abound of African extract.
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by whykaybee(m): 5:37am On Jul 29, 2013
There are scientists but no inventors!

Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Emylexray(m): 12:48pm On Jul 30, 2013
OP. I will start from Nigeria. Reasons why Nigerians can't become scientists:

1. We can't convey your thoughts in a detailed format.

2.we lack the technical know-how to think laterally and proffer solutions to problems.
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Peterwizzy: 12:13am On Aug 03, 2013
actually one day there is going to be an african inventor and that person is going to get this title ''best inventor ever'' or coolest invention ever.
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by Afrobasic(m): 3:32am On Aug 04, 2013
^^^
Let's hope so
Re: Reasons Why Africans can't Become Scientist. by UyiIredia(m): 11:56am On Aug 11, 2013
How to answer this. I am sure Africans have to the potential to contribute greatly to science and technology. Our art prowess (except in classical and opera scores and certain music genres less popar here like heavy metal) and religious ubiquity is well-known but need to be improved on. Of course, we have enough religion as it is. I think we are behind due to three things:

Poor educational system: Many WASSSCE failures, ASUU strikes, over-emphasis on certain courses eg engineering, little emphasis on quality craftmanship education (I've noticed this again of recent given some poor job done for me by plumbers etc), roughshoddy teaching of science and basics in secondary schools, poor educational facilities etc.

Religious superstition: That can't be overlooked. It is rightly said that what can be explained now by science and seen in technologies was attributed to spirits. If one still believes a witch or juju from an enemy is behind strokes etc and God will fix it, it could (and does) hamper the inquisitive nature of people to find out the cause and deal with it.

Socio-political structure: In an environment where a healthy view of science is encouraged, in a government that involves the people in daily problems, in families where one is taught to think for oneself and not a yessir attitude is imparted, innovation should (and does) tend to flourish. Our ober-centralized system of government is crippling. Case in point: I once saw a plastic brick made by a young chap at a science fair about 2007. Hitting it hard with a hammer didn't crack it in the least, impressive since blocks are easily cracked like that. Till date, I am not aware that those blocks are popular choice. If true, it shows we do little to gain from and reward innovators and kills motivation.

(1) (Reply)

Which Organ Of The Body Is Most Important? / MTN Latest Cheap Browsing / Greatest Philantropist And Investor In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.