Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,741 members, 7,824,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting (2144 Views)

Nigerian Driver In Canada Loses License For Insulting Gay Men Kissing In His Cab / . / U.S. Posts New Nigeria Travel Warning: Kidnapping, Robbery, Bombs, Etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by africanboy(m): 2:07pm On May 25, 2006
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguide-502096-nigeria_introduction-i;_ylt=AvVTJBCqXdfG2wnsrXRiPWEYGGoL

Although Things Fall Apart, the classic novel by Nigeria's Chinua Achebe, was written about a crisis in the country during the early 20th century when the missionaries arrived, the title could be applied to current conditions. Inflation and corruption are rampant, riots and strikes are frequent, and the nation's infrastructure is in tatters from plunder by past governments. Travel can be a stressful ordeal, stalled by inconvenience, inefficiency and shakedowns -- by police and militia as well as freelance operators.

Despite the country's substantial oil and mineral deposits, prosperity is far out of the reach of most of its people. The new civilian government, led by President Olusegun Obasanjo, has had some success reducing Nigeria's endemic corruption and improving working conditions. But the country still has an awfully long road ahead of it.

Nigeria has never been the most pleasant West African country to visit. It's dirty and hectic, and the Nigerians are known among other African peoples for their aggressiveness -- it is said that the whole country has a Type A personality. Unlike some other developing nations, where you might risk your life for stunning natural beauty or unusual cultural artifacts, the only superlative you'll hear about Nigeria is that Lagos is the world's ugliest and most chaotic city. Nigeria's one true bright spot is its wonderfully ebullient music -- which you'll probably enjoy more in the comfort of your home than in Lagos' dangerous nightclubs.

Information by Northstar Travel Media LLC
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by exu(m): 8:22pm On May 25, 2006
Lagos aside, I find it neither true nor insulting.
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by mochafella(m): 8:35pm On May 25, 2006
I find it odd that Gusau is on the list of top cities in Nigeria and Jos is mysteriously missing. That introduction sounds like something put together from news reports.
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by LoverBwoy(m): 4:19pm On May 26, 2006
why do u find it insulting?

its true afterall aint it?

Harsh reality

from same page-lagos

I visited Nigeria for the first time with my husband (a Nigerian) and children in September 2004. Lagos is a city of unbeleivable contrasts. I found it exciting,dirty,exhilerating,noisy,welcoming and exhausting.I attended high class opulent functions and witnessed abject depressing poverty. The traffic has to be seen to be believed.The streets are a teeming mass of humanity. There is corruption everywhere but if you can understand that this has grown alarmingly due to the corrupt military governments that have goverened Nigeria for a very long time, with absoloutly no regard for its citizens welfare or survival, you will be able to cope with it.
I found it to be an absolute culture shock, as did my children.We enjoyed our stay but looked forward to returning home.The strange thing about Nigeria is that it has a strange pull and I found myself wishing to return almost immediately.
If you are not flexible, friendly and very open minded do not go. If you are, you will surely embrace everything that this wonderful country has to offer.
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by obong(m): 4:52pm On May 26, 2006
it really applies to lagos and is very insulting. we have a lot more to offer, scenery included, in many parts of nigeria
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by Hotstepper(f): 9:28pm On May 26, 2006
na wahhhh ooo, who wrote dat sef?
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by africanboy(m): 9:24am On May 30, 2006
imagine, on yahoo! how many people will read that and immediately form opinions about 9ja
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by ldollier(f): 12:58pm On May 30, 2006
you kid me not. do yall really know what a type A personality is.

Type A personality = hostility(a trait characterized by mistrust, an expectation of harm and provocation by others, and a cynical attitude which is the leading cause of cornary heart disease in individuals. but the writer of that article is somewhat true.

although i was born in Nigeria, i didnt grew up there. but when i went back not so long ago, i noticed that the people there were very angry, they never smiled, they were always arguing about one thing or the other. as for lagos being dirty, well that has always been true. however, there are other postive points the writer could have mention other than focusing on the negative part.

another important point about the travel issue with nigerian, it has been said that a person travelling with a nigerian passport(say your travelling from America to Nigeria), should be double check for criminal purposes.
Re: I Find This Nigeria Travel Advisory True But Insulting by Mylesudeh: 8:50pm On Feb 08, 2011
Traveling to Lagos-Nigeria and its surrounding areas?? Let us provide you with a chauffeur driven car rental services. Our prices are remarkably low and our services are like never before seen in Nigeria!! www.unityglobalventures.com

(1) (Reply)

Cape Town Voted "best City" In The World By Telegraph Travel / Traveling Advice Needed / Any Nigeria In Oman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.