Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,278 members, 7,822,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms (1637 Views)

Why Can't People Embrace Pan-africanism? Why So Much Hatred On This Forum?? / Why Can't Nigerians Teach Their Children Their Language? / Why Can't The Prophets Be Black ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by andicod1st(m): 5:16am On Jul 22, 2013
I'm beginning to notice that 85% of Nigerians cannot talk for a long time without speech mannerisms such as.. "you know . . .", " ee know . . .", "as in. . .", "emmm. . ." and lots more. Even those in the media and others who are supposedly acclaimed to have a good command in english language are guilty of this.
Fellow nairalanders, what can we do to ourselves to eliminate these mannerisms and speak much more fluently?
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by Nobody: 5:22am On Jul 22, 2013
What's wrong with the mannerisms,i'd be disappointed if they didn't display such when they speak cuz i kinda like it.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by enimcnite(m): 5:30am On Jul 22, 2013
I believe that's our identity as Nigerians, something we should be proud of, jst the same way you can recognise a British accent or a Black Americans Speech mannerism, I'm proud of Nigeria! cool
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by harlos: 5:53am On Jul 22, 2013
You can take me out of Nigeria but you can't take Nigeria out of mewink

Abeg make e dey go like that joor. tongue
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by vb0mb(m): 6:37am On Jul 22, 2013
"85 percent of Nigerians" how many Nigerians have you chat with? Where did you get such statistics? May be is within your village.
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by andicod1st(m): 6:51am On Jul 22, 2013
vb0mb: "85 percent of Nigerians" how many Nigerians have you chat with? Where did you get such statistics? May be is within your village.

I don't have to chat with them directly.. I've listen to lots of them speak, with that alone I can draw reasonable conclusion.. I was just being lenient to say "85%" I would have still been correct if I said 95%...
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by tpia5: 10:55am On Jul 22, 2013
Is it making you depressed?

1 Like

Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by firestar(f): 12:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
andicod1st: I'm beginning to notice that 85% of Nigerians cannot talk for a long time without speech mannerisms such as.. "you know . . .", " ee know . . .", "as in. . .", "emmm. . ." and lots more. Even those in the media and others who are supposedly acclaimed to have a good command in english language are guilty of this.
Fellow nairalanders, what can we do to ourselves to eliminate these mannerisms and speak much more fluently?

It's evident in all national groups. Comes with the accent.
Some of us have perfected it to the tee whilst for others it slips into speech and yet still some would deliberately continue on with it just get a rise out of you. undecided
Re: Why Can't Nigerians Talk For A Long Time Without Speech Mannerisms by lyfe(m): 10:10pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ummmmm, you know, emmmm as in I hate to say that you are a first class illiterate. Have you ever stepped out of Nigeria?

Have you heard other nationalities speak apart from the ones you hear in movies?

Have you bagged a Msc. or PhD? I doubt if you even have Bachelor's degree. You don't quote an exact figure on something that has not been researched, reviewed, published by scholars.

You should have said "In my own opinion, I think more than xx% of my family can't talk for long without speech mannerisms".

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Learn Yourba? / What Country Do You Wish You Were Born In? / Last Of The Amazons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.