Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,047 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:55 AM

Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. (9096 Views)

It Was A Taboo For An Ibo Man To Take His Own Life / German Girl In Love With An Ibo / An Ibo Woman Married To A Yoruba Man? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by redsun(m): 10:00am On May 26, 2008
Onye ji ofor-who holds the aces or rather staff of authority?

You might just as well hold the aces,why not,reborn.it is your own makings but with a clause this time,to serve and deliver.
'
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by oziomatv(m): 11:01am On May 26, 2008
Still to figure out what you're about tosay.
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by redsun(m): 2:04pm On May 26, 2008
Rule the roost in your own little way,make a diffrence,leadership is not a perquisite right of anybody,but for those with insights and selfless spirits.

It is like those that still believe in osu class(slaves descendants),and the osu's themselves believing they osus,man and self imposed derogatory and injustice.Leadership in nigeria today is chaotic,and it should no longer be left in the hands of the so-called ruling elites that have so far brought the country to her knees.
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by romeo(m): 5:15pm On May 26, 2008
redsun:

Onye ji ofor-who holds the aces or rather staff of authority?

You might just as well hold the aces,why not,reborn.it is your own makings but with a clause this time,to serve and deliver.
'

I can not understand you sir!! besides offor to my understanding is not staff wink
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by presido1: 5:28pm On May 26, 2008
romeo:

I can not understand you sir!! besides offor to my understanding is not staff wink
Ofor is staff of in Igbo land
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by oziomatv(m): 5:46pm On May 26, 2008
In Igbo language ofor is justice (oji ofor he who has justice in his hand). it's not a real staff. But some chief priest do hold ofor as symbol of justice to who ever do wrong. and the ofor represent something that a common man can hope for to have his justice and it's something that a true igboman never take for granted cause it punishment is that of OGU which lead to the intervention of the god of thunder.
So ofor is not a staff while staff in igbo language is Mkpara. OFOR NA OGU is not a name an IGBOMAN mention in vain. hope I made it clear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by ifyalways(f): 7:12pm On May 26, 2008
ofor eze. . .kings staff of office
Oji ofor. . . .symbol of justice.a just justice cheesy
@OP what are you trying to say?whats the message now?whats all these rantings abt osu?
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by echelon(m): 7:48pm On May 26, 2008
Ama m ihe m na-eme ma amaghi m ihe na-eme m grin
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by ifyalways(f): 8:58pm On May 26, 2008
echelon:

Ama m ihe m na-eme ma amaghi m ihe na-eme m grin
kpomkwem cheesy
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by redsun(m): 6:05am On May 27, 2008
Work it out,whether aces,symbol of justice,staff of office,it all connects,it's about you taking a stand as an individual and start making a diffrence.The staff of office,justice or authority,whatever,doesn't recognise who holds it,it is the person that holds that knows what it stands for.

Stop winging and start thinking,there is no specific explanation to proverbs,see the world in your own eyes and reinterpret words for positive and constructive changes.

In a nutshell,leadership is a total failure so far in nigeria,we need to inject some new blood and ideas,not just inherent backward traditions and procedures of stealing and redundancies.
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by oziomatv(m): 10:20am On May 27, 2008
redsun:

Work it out,whether aces,symbol of justice,staff of office,it all connects,it's about you taking a stand as an individual and start making a diffrence.The staff of office,justice or authority,whatever,doesn't recognise who holds it,it is the person that holds that knows what it stands for.

Stop winging and start thinking,there is no specific explanation to proverbs,see the world in your own eyes and reinterpret words for positive and constructive changes.

In a nutshell,leadership is a total failure so far in nigeria,we need to inject some new blood and ideas,not just inherent backward traditions and procedures of stealing and redundancies.
A true talk from a true son of the soil.
But sir, can you set up an example for us to follow?
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by romeo(m): 5:21pm On May 27, 2008
presido1:

Ofor is staff of in Igbo land

Igboland adi abuo? LoL!! Just leave Be Eliza and come home sharp sharp, you're calling Ofor "staff"?

"Oji ofor aga" does not mean "walking with staff" rather it means a straight forward person

Ofor does not stand for authority to my understanding, rather it stands for "Justice and Fairness"
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by redsun(m): 4:39am On May 31, 2008
Egbe beli,Ugo beli- Let the kite perch,and let the Eagle perch,the one that refuses the other to perch,let her wings be hacked.It is time we begin to see meanings in our adages and parables and begin to act on it,maybe it will give us some sense of selfless responsibilities,care and love for one another and most of all basic human independence for all.

Understanding the fundamentals sets you free.
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by romeo(m): 9:28am On May 31, 2008
redsun:

Egbe beli,Ugo beli- Let the kite perch,and let the Eagle perch,the one that refuses the other to perch,let her wings be hacked.It is time we begin to see meanings in our adages and parables and begin to act on it,maybe it will give us some sense of selfless responsibilities,care and love for one another and most of all basic human independence for all.

Understanding the fundamentals sets you free.

Egbe belu, Ugo belu. wink
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by redsun(m): 1:24pm On May 31, 2008
Thank you,that is what it is all about,getting it right.Revival

All this wise sayings started stricking a note to me again,when i discovered music like Oriental brothers,Osadebe,etc, recently on the net.I long thought Oriental brothers were history,but to my suprise they are evergreen and i love them,priceless music and presentations.

Check them out on youtube.
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by Aloe1(m): 11:06am On May 05, 2019
Many words don't have a single meaning. The ofor can mean staff or symbol of authority and it can mean justice depending on the notion. During the Igbo precolonial administration, Okpara is the head of family and also the ofor holder. The ofor here symbolizes staff or symbol of authority.
Again when u say as an ordinary person who is not an Okpara or even an Okpara "ejim ofor na og
u. The ofor here symbolizes justice. So ofor doesn't meaning only staff or symbol of authority or justice alone. Thanks.
Re: Onye Ji Ofor-an Ibo Saying. by Aloe1(m): 11:20am On May 05, 2019
Staff in this notion does not signifies walking stick but position. During the precolonial administration, even in most Igbo land today, the okparas are seen as the elders. The Okpara may not be the most senior but for the fact that he is holding the ofor, he is the elder in that family.
The ofor may not be a piece of stick as it used to be in those days but most Igbo land still recognize it. If u want to understand this better start attending customary courts in the south east especially in Imo, Anambra and Abia states.

(1) (Reply)

Chief Akkiri, Mum-zi Birthdays / A Lesson To Fulani On NL, Never Forget Whom You Are / Calabar Names

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.