Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com (14473 Views)

All DATA USERS, WAKE UP (CAMPAIGN FOR FAIRNESS) / Airtel Internet Data Bundle Double-Double Promo: 200mb (+ Free 200mb) / How Do I Go About Internet Settings With Nokia E5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by venorite(m): 11:49am On Jul 25, 2013
Some Nigerians who make use of Android phones and Java operating devices have taken to social media to protest against what they call ‘exorbitant’ cost of Internet subscription being charged by telecoms firms.

Also part of the protest are those who use smart devices such as i-Phone and Windows phone.

They alleged that they are not getting value on their subscription plans, compared to users of BlackBerry phones in terms of data allowance and prices.

The users who besieged various social networking sites urged the Nigerian Communications Commission to prevail on telecoms firms to address the issue, so that they can begin to enjoy same benefits BlackBerry users enjoy on their platforms.

To register their displeasure, some subscribers have launched an online petition on change.org. The petition is titled “Telecoms Service Provider in Nigeria: All Data Users Demand Fairness.’’

The petition, which has attracted 40 signatures, reads, “The Nigerian youths are crying out loud. We need a better data plan for Internet access on our smartphones. The present data plans are too expensive compared to the bandwidth.’’

The petitioners have also tweeted their complaints to the handles of the various telecoms firms as well as the NCC. The hashtag #AllDataUsersDemandsFairness has also been employed by the subscribers to register their protest on the social network.

Writing on the Facebook wall of the NCC, one Ugochukwu Samuel argues that the situation where he gets between 200 and 350 megabytes for N1,000, while those on Blackberry get between 1 and 3 gigabyte for N1,000, is “unfair.’’

He states, “As a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I wish to express my right by urging the Nigerian Communications Commission to see to the review of the data cap attached to the subscription of data on smart phones such as Android, IOS and Windows by our network providers.

“I demand a fair data plan. In comparison to the Blackberry plan, which is considered slightly affordable, subscribers on Android get between 200 and 350MB for N1,000 while those on Blackberry get between 1 and 3GB for N1,000.

“We wish that prices for data are made more affordable for Nigerian youths who rely on the Internet for resources which are not easily available within our society. In solidarity with other youths fighting for this cause, we shall continue to lament and express our desires until we get a positive intervention.”

Also reacting on Facebook, one Musa Rasheed writes, “We need a fair data plan for Android devices. These telecoms firms are charging just too much for nothing. Paying N1,000 for just 260MB worth of data is unfair. Other countries get better deals. NCC, please come to our aid. We’ve suffered too much in silence. Now we are tired.’’

A member of the online forum, nairaland.com, with the name, My Hobbies, urged telecoms firms to provide them with a similar package BlackBerry that users enjoy on their platforms, which allow them to get a fair value for their money.

“Android phone users are not happy with what our local telecoms firms are doing to us. We the Android phone users should be given a special package like that of BlackBerry plans. The current system, where they make us subscribe to MB worth of N1,000 and above, and they give us between 200MB, and 250MB is not fair at all. We all know how Android can drain megabytes. NCC, please, do something,’’ he adds.

When our correspondent contacted the Director, Public Affairs, NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, he said there was nothing the agency could do about it, because it was not a regulatory issue.

He said, “We (NCC) don’t regulate technology. BlackBerry is a peculiar service different from other platforms. NCC doesn’t provide Internet services and the enquiry is not a regulatory issue.’’
http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/android-phone-users-protest-cost-of-internet-subscription/

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by physise(m): 11:57am On Jul 25, 2013
venorite: Some Nigerians who make use of Android phones and Java operating devices have taken to social media to protest against what they call ‘exorbitant’ cost of Internet subscription being charged by telecoms firms.

Also part of the protest are those who use smart devices such as i-Phone and Windows phone.

They alleged that they are not getting value on their subscription plans, compared to users of BlackBerry phones in terms of data allowance and prices.

The users who besieged various social networking sites urged the Nigerian Communications Commission to prevail on telecoms firms to address the issue, so that they can begin to enjoy same benefits BlackBerry users enjoy on their platforms.

To register their displeasure, some subscribers have launched an online petition on change.org. The petition is titled “Telecoms Service Provider in Nigeria: All Data Users Demand Fairness.’’

The petition, which has attracted 40 signatures, reads, “The Nigerian youths are crying out loud. We need a better data plan for Internet access on our smartphones. The present data plans are too expensive compared to the bandwidth.’’

The petitioners have also tweeted their complaints to the handles of the various telecoms firms as well as the NCC. The hashtag #AllDataUsersDemandsFairness has also been employed by the subscribers to register their protest on the social network.

Writing on the Facebook wall of the NCC, one Ugochukwu Samuel argues that the situation where he gets between 200 and 350 megabytes for N1,000, while those on Blackberry get between 1 and 3 gigabyte for N1,000, is “unfair.’’

He states, “As a citizen of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, I wish to express my right by urging the Nigerian Communications Commission to see to the review of the data cap attached to the subscription of data on smart phones such as Android, IOS and Windows by our network providers.

“I demand a fair data plan. In comparison to the Blackberry plan, which is considered slightly affordable, subscribers on Android get between 200 and 350MB for N1,000 while those on Blackberry get between 1 and 3GB for N1,000.

“We wish that prices for data are made more affordable for Nigerian youths who rely on the Internet for resources which are not easily available within our society. In solidarity with other youths fighting for this cause, we shall continue to lament and express our desires until we get a positive intervention.”

Also reacting on Facebook, one Musa Rasheed writes, “We need a fair data plan for Android devices. These telecoms firms are charging just too much for nothing. Paying N1,000 for just 260MB worth of data is unfair. Other countries get better deals. NCC, please come to our aid. We’ve suffered too much in silence. Now we are tired.’’

A member of the online forum, nairaland.com, with the name, My Hobbies, urged telecoms firms to provide them with a similar package BlackBerry that users enjoy on their platforms, which allow them to get a fair value for their money.

“Android phone users are not happy with what our local telecoms firms are doing to us. We the Android phone users should be given a special package like that of BlackBerry plans. The current system, where they make us subscribe to MB worth of N1,000 and above, and they give us between 200MB, and 250MB is not fair at all. We all know how Android can drain megabytes. NCC, please, do something,’’ he adds.

When our correspondent contacted the Director, Public Affairs, NCC, Mr. Tony Ojobo, he said there was nothing the agency could do about it, because it was not a regulatory issue.

He said, “We (NCC) don’t regulate technology. BlackBerry is a peculiar service different from other platforms. NCC doesn’t provide Internet services and the enquiry is not a regulatory issue.’’
http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/android-phone-users-protest-cost-of-internet-subscription/
gud
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by venorite(m): 12:04pm On Jul 25, 2013
physise: gud
We are finally getting there...very soon they will use their head
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by ibietela2(m): 12:12pm On Jul 25, 2013
venorite:
We are finally getting there...very soon they will use their head

Did you read the last part of the post

20 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by venorite(m): 12:14pm On Jul 25, 2013
ibietela2:

Did you read the last part of the post
Yes I read it, even if ncc can't help, this ISP might pity us and create something for us
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by daylae(m): 12:28pm On Jul 25, 2013
something is brewing. .
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by luluosas(m): 12:45pm On Jul 25, 2013
Honestly, I couldn't believe my eyes with all NCC said in the news. They are the one selling us out.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by wheesin(m): 12:52pm On Jul 25, 2013
Wen i tot we were gettin sumwhere...shit men ?
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jul 25, 2013
NCC are our major problem in this country. How can they say thier is nothing they can do about it? Arrant Nonsense. Were they not the one who told Mtn telecom services to stop all 0,10k per sec call rate most especially on ipulse and supersaver; now Super savers plan charge 15k per sec to all network. I think we need to do something about this unscrupoulous elements distarbilising the network of our country call NCC.

10 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by sanandreas(m): 1:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
Did we lose? I dnt think so. Let the struggle continue

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by kelvinnn(m): 1:27pm On Jul 25, 2013
By the grace of God, they shall hear our cry.
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by mosak(m): 2:10pm On Jul 25, 2013
solidarity forever! solidarity forever!! solidarity forever !!! for we shall always fight for our right. we shall not stop now until they (GEJ, NCC, ministry for Information, MTN, GLO, Airtel, Etisalat and others involved ) hear US

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Emmysteve(m): 2:27pm On Jul 25, 2013
front page front page pls
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Emmysteve(m): 2:27pm On Jul 25, 2013
Mod pls take this to front page.
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by OCTAVO: 2:36pm On Jul 25, 2013
Do we have to beg the mods to put this on the front page again?
Chei! Nairaland sef.
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by venorite(m): 2:58pm On Jul 25, 2013
OCTAVO: Do we have to beg the mods to put this on the front page again?
Chei! Nairaland sef.
I don't know why it's not on d front page, do I add tontolet dikeh's picture??

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by OCTAVO: 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2013
venorite:
I don't know why it's not on d front page, do I add tontolet dikeh's picture??
If na Wole vs Dame story... Ooops it will make front page same minute. grin
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by venorite(m): 3:03pm On Jul 25, 2013
OCTAVO:
If na Wole vs Dame story... Ooops it will make front page same minute. grin
Or wack b..ch tonto story
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Emmysteve(m): 3:07pm On Jul 25, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by OCTAVO: 3:10pm On Jul 25, 2013
venorite:
Or wack b..ch tonto story
Or Share Your Yam Moments grin

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Francheezy(m): 3:11pm On Jul 25, 2013
We will get there
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by johnstar(m): 3:21pm On Jul 25, 2013
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by stephenponti(m): 3:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
NCC is not doing their job@all
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by akwunmi(m): 3:34pm On Jul 25, 2013
We are almost dare guyz...
In d main time don't subscrib to any of dare useless monthly plan...untIl we get positive result.gud job to evry1 wu have patis-pated in d fight of revolution for our smartphone n 4our pocket.
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Nyksbry(m): 4:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
Thats kul hapi for nairalanders
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by stacomaster(m): 4:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
na una dey dull una self.. Cheat 4 all dis netwk de o... Na airtel dope pass.. grin
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Mogenerous(f): 4:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
Arise O' compatriot....

Our fight against the telecom operators is getting somewhere... After all our effort to get our voices heard,the media have decided to help broadcast our demand for fairness... Going through this link http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/android-phone-users-protest-cost-of-internet-subscription/ You will get to see everything punch wrote on the youth's behalf... Mr. Tony of NCC said there was nothing the agency could do about it, because it was not a regulatory issue.

He said, "We  (NCC) don't regulate technology.  BlackBerry is a peculiar service different from other platforms. NCC doesn't provide Internet services and the  enquiry is not a regulatory issue.''
Are they for us or against us? All we are fighting for is fairness in internet data plan and not for them to tell if its a regulatory issue so we urge Nigerians to go through the link above and speak your mind, let's your voices be heard and let's stand for a change... It has gotten to a stage where Nigerian Youth have to stand for themselves and make a change because our so called leaders aren't helping situation. You can as well read about it on today's punch newspaper and it was also mentioned on INSPIRATION FM days ago, this is to let you know this isn't a joke.
Reading through this BC and doing nothing is a shame on you, a shame on us as well a shame on Nigeria as a whole so we urge you to please sign this petition, we need just 100 pple to sign it
http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/telecoms-service-provider-in-nigeria-all-data-users-demands-fairness?share_id=buShdplrhE
join this campaign #AllDataUsersDemandFairness on twitter, search the hashtag and help retweet our tweets please... Contact @blak_xtar and @mogenerous for more info....
We fighting 4 both bb users and all data enable phones and we say NO to EXTORTION nd EXORBITANT price of data plans! We want a change, it begins with us.. Read and RBC please

Send this to your various contact on twitter,facebook,bbm,whatsapp and co... Thank you!!! Progress is what we stand for...

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by JuanDeDios: 4:28pm On Jul 25, 2013
Please change the topic of thread to an NCC-themed one or something. Nairaland gets mentioned in The Punch everyday. That's no news. I guess poster doesn't read the papers often.

2 Likes

Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by damosky12(m): 4:28pm On Jul 25, 2013
So, what should we do about that? Start dancing?
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by SlyIg(f): 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2013
This means garri price go reduce for all nairalanders! Kudos all...
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Codedrock(m): 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2013
Wtf?? What a sucking post.. Is this the first time punch,vanguard etc. will be mentioning nairaland? Go check the abacha's daughter under fire you go see nairaland quoted.
I even thought its something more specific as if nairaland took the frontpage of punch.

Yawns...
Re: Nairaland Mentioned On Topic About Internet Data fairness On Punchng.com by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jul 25, 2013
Am on the front page..am dancing Emenado Emenado by Tiwa o ni baje

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Unlimited Coins And Gems In Temple Run 2 / 6 Things To Do When Your Phone Overheats While Charging / My Mum Called Me And MTN Deducted My Credit :- "Receiver Pays"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.