Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,585 members, 7,827,179 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Interview: Dj Cuppy – On Music And Life And Being A Dream Chaser. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Interview: Dj Cuppy – On Music And Life And Being A Dream Chaser. (1555 Views)

Dj Cuppy And Brother, Prince Otedola Step Out In All White Swag [PICS] / Otedola's Daughter (Dj Cuppy) On Okada (Photo) / Chidinma Talks About Her Sex Scandal And Life As A Star (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Interview: Dj Cuppy – On Music And Life And Being A Dream Chaser. by miabagacom: 9:33pm On Jul 25, 2013

Formerly known as DJ Cupcake, Dj CUPPY began by playing the Piano and then ventured into beat-making and DJing. She’s played at some of London’s top nightclubs and events and also well known clubs in Paris, New York and Dubai. DJ CUPPY began experimenting with music from her native hometown in Africa and noticed that it was gradually becoming widely accepted in mainstream Europe. She calls this new sound Neo-Afrobeats, a genre of music, which blends Electric House with Afro-beats.

It was this sound in her first single: I Love My Country, that brought her to our attention.

Plus the fact that she’s a female Deejay.

And also quite good looking.

Definitely not because she’s the daughter of Billionaire Femi Otedola.
O_O

Your mixes seem to cover a large swath of genres. What kind of music do you personally enjoy?

I listen to all types of music, which is a reflection of my personal taste- everything!

How do you pick which songs go into mixes?

I’m always brainstorming ideas, I start out with a couple of records in mind, and before I know it, I’ve been recording for 45 minutes!

Have you traveled a lot?

Yes, luckily that comes with my job. I love to discover new places and cultures; I think it’s both inspiring and educational!

What’s the hardest part about being a DJ?

It has to be my non-existent sleeping pattern and jet lag. Urgh.INTERVIEW: DJ CUPPY On Music And Life and Being A Dream Chaser.

Did you always want to have a career in music?

I’ve always had a love for music, but would have never thought it would end up as a possible career. No one could have told me I’d have a single out right now. I’m so thrilled and feel super blessed!

Are you into Nigerian music? Who are you listening to?

Of course! This moment in time, got Kcee’s “Limpopo” on repeat in my car!

What’s the best thing about being a DJ?

Creating a great atmosphere and making people feel good, get together, and forget about their worries! Seeing a packed dance floor always gives me a buzz!

Why’d you choose to that mix of the Tunji Oyelana song “I love my country”?

I’ve always been a fan of Nigerian Highlife music, so Tunji Oyelana is an artist I’ve always appreciated. The sound I create as a producer is called Neo-Afrobeats. This is best described as a fusion between Electric House and Afro-beats. Deciding to try something adventurous, I started making house remixes of old Yoruba records. Tried out a few, but there was just such an empowerment about Tunji Oyelana’s record. I’m so excited to have the opportunity to revive such a meaningful song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cacP-6gwz0A

What was it like for you, growing up?

I grew up in Ilupeju and had cheerful and bright childhood. I was certainly a bit of a mischievous toddler though, giving my parents a bit of a handful!

What did your dad say when you told you were going to be a DJ?INTERVIEW: DJ CUPPY On Music And Life and Being A Dream Chaser.

“Go for it, Baby!”

Speaking of which, what’s it like being his daughter? And do you think it helps or hinders your music in Nigeria?

I have the most loving, hardworking and hilarious dad. Just like any father-daughter relationship, we have our great days and not-so-great days (Haha!). Regarding my music, I feel that time tells all. It’s very easy to get distracted from the content itself and focus on the background “stuff”, but I can only hope that over time my talent and music speak for themselves!

What do you do for fun?

DJ! Haha! I’m always busy to be honest, but I get a lot of satisfaction from what I do. When I have free-time, I’m with out with family or friends.

FULL INTERVIEW
http://miabaga.com/2.0/uncategorized/interview-dj-cuppy/

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Genevive Nnaji Shares Workout Pix / Funke Akindele, Nkem Owoh Rock Primary School Uniforms For A Movie Role / Kim Kardashian Pays Tribute To Baby-north West

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.