Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,814 members, 7,956,078 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 12:38 AM

Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? (31866 Views)

Carpet Grass Car In Akure That Has Got Everyone Talking: (photos) / 5 Reasons Why Buying A Used Car (tokunbo) Is Great / ***how To Check Automatic Transmission Before Buying A Used Car*** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 25, 2013
I'm considering buying a Nigerian used car. (Possibly Nissan Maxima 2000 model).
What questions must I ask before buying?
What are d most important things/documents I need to know/check out.
Very importantly too, how do I know its not a stolen car?

PS: I'm relatively new to car matters and this is my first car that I want to buy.

Answers will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by cardoso111(m): 10:43pm On Jul 25, 2013
why are you selling this fine car?
what important parts do you fix regularly?
who is your mechanic?
what parts misfunction in this car regularly?
and ask for the Custom papers,and the original vehicle licence,insurance and road worthiness,Police report etc

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:25am On Jul 26, 2013
I'd ask if there's still a thermostat fitted.

8 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 26, 2013
Thanks a lot @Cardoso.

@Siena, thanks for your response. I've seen a lot of your wonderful, very informative posts in this section.
Siena, why should I inquire particularly about the thermostat? What problems would it cause if it is still there or not there?

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:13am On Jul 26, 2013
Also, is the Nissan Maxima 2000 model is a good and safe choice for that range of cars? (that's the price range I can afford currently).
I hope there are no particular problems commonly associated with that model. I hear some particular car models are problematic (eg Nissan Maxima 2004 has transmission issues, etc)
I hope this Maxima 2000 model is not one of the known problematic models.
Thanks.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by aji2000(m): 8:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
Pls I'm seriously in need of more info on how to identify a stolen or faulty car. I'm planning to buy a toyota soon and I'll appreciate any info on how to choose right.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by ziccoit: 2:30am On Jul 28, 2013
Siena: I'd ask if there's still a thermostat fitted.
lol grin grin
Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by kingschild123(m): 12:55pm On Jul 28, 2013
There are 10 questions you should ask before
buying any used car. Some can be asked over
the phone or via email before even seeing the
vehicle in person. Others should be asked while
looking at the used car. Not asking these
questions could lead to problems in your used
car purchase.
1. How many miles are on the odometer?
2. Why are you selling the car?
3. How would you describe your used car’s
condition?
4. Who was this vehicle bought from?
5. Where was this car bought?
6. What kind of oil do you use in the car?
7. What are you willing to sell the car for?
8. How long of a test drive can I take?
9. Are you willing to let me get this inspected
independently?
10. What’s the last used car you sold?

10 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 28, 2013
Thanks @Kingschild.
Points noted.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by baaliyah(m): 9:12pm On Jul 28, 2013
Oga Siena, I think one should know if the thermostat is still intact if the car is started.
I dont usually ask any questions. I know the sales guy will tell lies.

4 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Goldie20: 12:08am On Jul 29, 2013
Show Me The Carfax

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by jhydebaba(m): 12:10am On Jul 29, 2013
Ask whether the devil is still playing on ur destiny cuz at this age I see no reason why u can't get a brand new car.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by phlame(m): 12:11am On Jul 29, 2013
Forget about what people would drop on here... I would recommend only 3 people to U...

1, inspired
2, sienna
3, Chelseabmw

U would not regret my advise... Never...

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by lionshare: 12:13am On Jul 29, 2013
jhydebaba: Ask whether the devil is still playing on ur destiny cuz at this age I see no reason why u can't get a brand new car.

All fingers are not equal....

14 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by phlame(m): 12:13am On Jul 29, 2013
jhydebaba: Ask whether the devil is still playing on ur destiny cuz at this age I see no reason why u can't get a brand new car.

At this age whats his age Ewu

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by SammyT95(m): 12:17am On Jul 29, 2013
what's a thermostat a thermometer or wot??

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by propzncribz: 12:20am On Jul 29, 2013
Take a trusted mechanic, since u haven't had a car before, ask ur close friend for his mechanic and take him there for inspection. Most mechs can tell if a cars engine is still good by the sound of it when it starts. Nissan cars are reliable, the parts are affordable. Good luck

8 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by NEROSKY(m): 12:23am On Jul 29, 2013
Hope to ask this someday

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by bigt2(m): 12:24am On Jul 29, 2013
If you want to buy the car, buy it! No need for jamb questions ! Take a mechanic along - an experienced one cool

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by otian: 12:27am On Jul 29, 2013
asonto on top follow by personally
Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by chelseabmw(m): 12:33am On Jul 29, 2013

Seconded.... also confirm how long the car has been driven in nigeria

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by seangy4konji: 12:36am On Jul 29, 2013
As it be for you?it no be for everybody so trend slow...PERSON ASK QUESTION,HE NO ASK U FOR MONEY to buy car..Baba olowo yi jorr

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by seangy4konji: 12:38am On Jul 29, 2013
Na mumu talk...if you cant improve the silence then its beha to just keep mute
lionshare:

All fingers are not equal....

Of course now...because u fit buy brand new no mean say make every go buy brand new na

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by churific(m): 12:40am On Jul 29, 2013
It doesn't matter what questions you ask, the seller don't have to answer any of them honestly.

It's best to bring a trusted mechanic along or take the car to the mechanic before committing to buy.

@Churific

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Opey4luv(m): 12:43am On Jul 29, 2013
Questions to ask before getting a new car: That's easy, buy some popcorn, goto the movie to see Fast and Furious Five, notice the kind of cars those dudes were looking for. One in which while driving, you wouldn't be caught by a CCTV.

Last Bullet: You can never be satisfied with a car, the more you buy or get, the more you want a new one.

1 Like

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by jideflash(m): 1:00am On Jul 29, 2013
anything siena says is correct. he is the car god.
Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by SpaceAngel: 1:26am On Jul 29, 2013
Go with a technician who can check these stuff, as seller most likely will not give you an honest answer.
when buying a naija used maxima, first check if there is any light on the dash board. if yes, scan and find out why. It rarely has mechanical engine faults, I have same model and it can be crazy if u keep driving with any light on the dash. check the way the transmission shifts too. It is a v6 and requires premium fuel so with regular fuel sold in naija, and traffic, consumption may be a little bit higher than Toyota and honda of same capacity. when test driving, do at least 30 min so as to know the behaviour and also allow
to steam. check if the tachometer is steady while idling. this can help you know if the MAF or ignition coils are good. 2000 maxima a times have issues here. But I don't advice you to buy Nija used maxima. Just an honest advice

when it comes to paper, na God hand we dey.
cheers

5 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by FindOut(m): 1:43am On Jul 29, 2013
BEFORE YOU BUY THAT CAR

There are a couple of things you should consider before you buy a car, especially if it is your first car. Its not enough for the car to be affordably priced or beautiful to the eye. You have to consider your driving needs ( much or little), your location (residence, work), & most importantly, your wallet….AFTER shelling out the money for purchase.

I’ve listed a few things here that a prospective car owner should look into before he or she sets out to Tincan or Cotonou or Stallion Motors e.t.c. to pick a vehicle.

1) Availability of spares:
If you are not buying any of the popular brands like Toyota or Nissan or Honda, & you choose to go for an Opel, a Chevrolet or Rover 75 ( some older Rovers r practically Hondas tho), e.t.c. then go to the popular spare parts market around you & be sure they have spares. So your car won’t be grounded just because you can’t find a certain fuse or even a fuel filter. These days tho, its becoming relatively easier to order parts online, but that may take some time.

2) Fuel economy:
Frankly, this depends on your pocket . You have lots of bad roads in your locale n you decide to go for an SUV. No problem. The Honda CRV’s, the RAV4s, av some more ground clearance than almost all cars. & fuel economy wise, they r not soo bad. But then u decide to go for a Landrover Discovery 2 ( ur slim budget cant get u d LR3) or a Ford Explorer, then be prepared to spend on fuel. Rugged SUVs they are, but they are quite thirsty too. Very thirsty compared to the CR-V or 4 cylinder RAV 4. so, if you know you cant afford to spend much on fuel, choose wisely & dont be deceived by the seemingly low cost price of the car. But let it be noted that V6 & V8 engine powered cars /SUVs /even minivans r soo much fun to drive, especially if u don’t spend much time in heavy traffic. So many drivers will tell you that the thrill of driving these vehicles is worth the extra fuel bill. But then again, PMS is 97naira per litre, so cut ur cloth according to ur size smiley

3) KNOW your car BEFORE you pay for it:
This can be linked to 2) above. A friend had ordered a Nissan Altima from the US. He had seen pics of the car & was sooo excited, as the car was (still is) very clean. He was especially thrilled by the side skirts, two exhaust pipes beautifully situated on the rear, below the bumper, one at each end. It was after the car arrived Naija that he fully realised the significance of the two exhaust pipes at both ends. The car turned out to b powered by a 3.5 litre V6 engine, which, while being more fun to drive than d usual more common 2.5litre 4 cylinder engined version, has higher fuel economy figures. A lot of people make dis mistake. You order for a car, & pay for it without knowing the engine displacement & its advantages/drawbacks. In the case of the 1998-2004 honda accords, its almost common knowledge that the V6 models of these cars r prone to developing gear problems, yet some people still unconsciously end up with V6 models as against the 4 cylinder versions. Not saying ”dont buy a V6 Babyboy or EOD”, but if you choose to buy it (maybe because of the physical appearance,*double exhaust pipes, leather(usually) interior*, or the thrill of engine horsepower, or the cost *perhaps u got a good deal* ), then you have to take extra care of your auto gear. More on this in other posts to come.
There r also some vehicles where there r no easily observable differences in units with different engine displacements. Not very many people kno that the Mercedes Benz SUV ML was produced in both 6 cylinder & 8 cylinder guise. For the 2nd generation ML (2006-2011 model yrs), the ML 350 is powered by a 6 cylinder 3,5 litre engine, the more powerful ML 500 is powered by a 5,0 litre V8 engine. The top of the line ML 63 AMG is powered by a 6,2 litre V8 engine. These r just a few examples of how similiar looking cars may differ under the hood.

4) Make use of the Internet:
Thank God for auto blogs & forums. Google the car you intend to buy. Get to know the common faults you may experience & troubleshooting tips. Read user experiences, learn about any recalls, look at the fuel economy figures e.t.e.t.c. Be familiar with the car before u pay for it. It helps a great deal & may save u a lot of trouble later.

5) Run a VIN check BEFORE you sign that cheque: Every car has a 17 digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) A.K.A. chasis number. If your car was sourced from the US or Canada, this VIN can be used to track your vehicle service history since it left the factory till date. It sould also help you detect your vehicle’s actual mileage (last time it was recorded) & importantly, if its an accidented vehicle or not.The VIN check (usually thru carfax) isnt free, but some people offer free services. Ensure you run a VIN check on your vehicle. it could save u a lot of time n money coz buying an accidented vehicle which was not properly & meticulously fixed could turn out to be a nightmare.

I dwelt more on peeps buying used/”tokunbo” vehicles coz that’s what most Nigerians buy. That 2009 Honda Accord EX-L/ Toyota Camry XLE your friend/dad just bought that is still so spotlessly clean & shiny is still a tokunbo car, but it has more safety & luxury features & is more fun to drive than the brand new 2012 Toyota Corolla u bought at Globe Motors or the brand new 2013 Kia Cerato u saw at Dana Motors. Lol

http://www.autoinfo.com.ng/before-you-buy-that-car/

36 Likes

Re: Questions To Ask Before Buying A Used-Car In Nigeria? by Nobody: 2:10am On Jul 29, 2013
,wat abt new carz

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Here Are 8 Engines You Should Avoid / 11 Things You Should Check In Your Car Regularly / Would You Buy This 1958 Porsche 550A Spyder For N1.9billion? (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.