Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,326 members, 7,822,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? (1240 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by sd6: 7:20am On Jul 27, 2013
Please house has anybody had some adverse reactions after taking septrin? I took septrin as prescribed by the doctor for cold and by the fourth day, I came up with flat tiny red spots all over my skin. Anybody experienced this before?
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by oluomad(m): 6:58pm On Jul 27, 2013
Maybe the septrin has expired.. Did u chck d expiry date
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by sd6: 8:24pm On Jul 27, 2013
I don't think adverse drug reaction occur because drugs are expired. It was given to me at the hospital.
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by sperony(m): 2:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
yea! i have a close relative that reacted badly to this drug.
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by sd6: 5:32am On Jul 30, 2013
Sperony please what was the nature of the reaction?
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by Cool: 1:37pm On Jul 30, 2013
It is a common and serious drug reaction.

Septrin belongs to the class of drugs known as sulphonamides. Some people have a tendency to react to these drugs. The 'interesting' thing is that the reaction can start at any time; even if you have used the drug for many years without such effect occurring. However, once it starts, the person has to be aware and careful not to use that class of drugs again because the drug effect tends to become worse with each occurrence.

'Tiny red flares' is minor. Another occurrence could be widespread blisters all over the body and the worst cases are burn-like reactions all over the body i.e. it would seem that the person had hot water poured all over his/her body.

So, once such a drug reaction occurs, you are advised to discontinue use of that class of drugs FOREVER!

'Fansidar' also belongs in the class of drugs known as sulphonamides. So, since you have reacted to septrin, you need to avoid fansidar.

Please contact your personal doctor for further guidance.
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by Nobody: 8:35pm On Jul 30, 2013
^^ You are so right. I developed black itchy patches on my lips, wrist, arm and thigh. I was later told to stop all Sulpha drugs (septrin, fansidar).
Re: Have You Ever Reacted To Septrin? by sd6: 10:20pm On Jul 30, 2013
Thanks a lot cool. It took a lot to convince the doctor then that it was the drug reacting. He had to take me through some other tests before he could agree it was the septrin. Its surprising how these drugs are prescribed without inquiry about patients' reaction to drugs.

(1) (Reply)

Danger Of Patronising Traditional Birth Attendants / Ten Fun Facts About Antibiotics / 17-Reasons-Why-You-Need-A-Mango-Every-Day!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.