Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,794 members, 7,817,291 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:41 AM

I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu (2020 Views)

Desmond Tutu's Daughter Weds Her Lesbian Partner & he Was there (Pics) / Stephanie Rose: I Would Rather Burn In Hell Than Worship A Monster Called God / Desmond Tutu: ‘I Would Not Worship A Homophobic God'’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by rubenic(m): 10:07am On Jul 27, 2013

South Africa’s Nobel peace laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu says he will never worship a “homophobic God” and will rather go to hell.

The retired archbishop was speaking at the launch of a UN-backed campaign in South Africa to promote gay rights.

Despite sex-same relationships being legal in South Africa, it had some of the worst cases of homophobic violence, UN human rights chief Navi Pillay said.

Archbishop Tutu, 81, is a long-standing campaigner for gay rights.

‘Toilet brush attack’

He retired as Archbishop of Cape Town in 1996, but has remained the moral conscience of the nation, correspondents say.

Same-sex relationships are illegal in more than a third of countries around the world and punishable by death in five, Ms Pillay said.

In Africa, homosexual acts are still a crime in 38 countries, according to the rights group Amnesty International.

“I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place,” Archbishop Tutu said at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town.

“I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this.”

Archbishop Tutu said the campaign against homophobia was similar to the campaign waged against racism in South Africa.

“I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid. For me, it is at the same level,” he added.

Ms Pillay said gay and lesbian people in South Africa had some of the best legal safeguards since apartheid ended in 1994, but they still faced brutal attacks.

Last month, a lesbian was found dead, having been sexually assaulted with a toilet brush.

“People are literally paying for their love with their lives,” she said, AFP news agency reports.

The UN would push for gay rights to be recognised in countries where they are illegal, Ms Pillay said.

“I constantly hear governments tell me, ‘but this is our culture, our tradition and we can’t change it’… So we have lots of work to do,” she added.

Archbishop Tutu won the Nobel peace prize in 1984 for campaigning against white minority rule in South Africa.

I am as passionate about this campaign as I ever was about apartheid”

Desmond Tutu South African cleric

http://www.afronaija.com/archives/215
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-23464694
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 27, 2013
So lost.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Blazinraj01(f): 10:34am On Jul 27, 2013
^^^ Me too
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by ooman(m): 11:03am On Jul 27, 2013
the man is a heroe
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by mcfynest(m): 11:07am On Jul 27, 2013
JEEZ..... ARCHBICHOP OF WHERE
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
What a shame!
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2013
Homophobia needs to be kicked out of existence.

The command is to love God and neighbour...a prejudice against anyone irrespective of their sexual orientation is an offence against God. We should learn to love the sinner but hate the sin.

Kudos to him for trying to safeguard the rights of Homosexuals.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by okeyxyz(m): 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
striktlymi: Homophobia needs to be kicked out of existence.

The command is to love God and neighbour...a prejudice against anyone irrespective of their sexual orientation is an offence against God. We should learn to love the sinner but hate the sin.

Kudos to him for trying to safeguard the rights of Homosexuals.

You do realize that the arch-Bishop is probably saying that he'd rather go to hell than a heaven where there's no homos.exuality??

“I would refuse to go to a homophobic heaven. No, I would say sorry, I mean I would much rather go to the other place,” Archbishop Tutu said at the launch of the Free and Equal campaign in Cape Town.

“I would not worship a God who is homophobic and that is how deeply I feel about this.”
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by AlfaSeltzer(m): 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2013
Well, Mr Archbishop, I've got some information for you. You have been worshiping a homophobic god all your life. You still are.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2013
okeyxyz:

You do realize that the arch-Bishop is probably saying that he'd rather go to hell than a heaven where there's no homos.exuality??

That would be you reading meaning to what he said...

Bishop Tutu has his views and I have mine. I reflected mine in my post and can only defend what I say and not what the 'good' Bishop has in mind.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by mazaje(m): 1:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
In another part of the world a pastor says that government should kill gays. He says he is just preaching scripture and has nothing to be ashamed of. He even quoted the passage from the bible that supports him. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkZ02NrxP8
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by okeyxyz(m): 1:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
striktlymi:

That would be you reading meaning to what he said...

Bishop Tutu has his views and I have mine. I reflected mine in my post and can only defend what I say and not what the 'good' Bishop has in mind.

While you have your own views and tutu his, I was reacting to your "kudos"ing him, hence wondering what exactly your praise of him is for.

It is one thing to fight for civil liberties(including the liberty to be gay) which I whole-heartedly support, it's another thing to want to turn civil liberties into christian doctrine. The arch-bishop it seems is (deliberately) being vague or merging the two. So anyone who stands in support of his campaign must determine what exactly he is supporting. Is he supporting homse.xuality as a civil liberty or supporting homose.xuality as a christian doctrine??
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by italo: 6:34pm On Jul 27, 2013
Tutu, I think, is deliberately being vague.

For me, I am against homosexuality in all ramifications...

...but I am also against people taking laws into their hands and hurting them just because they are doing wrong.

God hates homosexuality but loves his children who happen go be homosexual.

Hate the sin but love the sinner...thats what The Church taught me.

1 Like

Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by martinseme: 7:46pm On Jul 27, 2013
by their fruit u shall know them.we are really in the end times.homosexuality is a terrible sin punishable by eternity in hell torment.let d wicked keep mocking themselves.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by nnofaith: 8:08pm On Jul 27, 2013
if "god" does not like homos, why does he keep creating them?
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:12pm On Jul 27, 2013
nnofaith: if "god" does not like homos, why does he keep creating them?

he loves getting angry at his creations.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Nobody: 8:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
okeyxyz:

While you have your own views and tutu his, I was reacting to your "kudos"ing him, hence wondering what exactly your praise of him is for.

It is one thing to fight for civil liberties(including the liberty to be gay) which I whole-heartedly support, it's another thing to want to turn civil liberties into christian doctrine. The arch-bishop it seems is (deliberately) being vague or merging the two. So anyone who stands in support of his campaign must determine what exactly he is supporting. Is he supporting homse.xuality as a civil liberty or supporting homose.xuality as a christian doctrine??

Cool!!!

I can relate with most of what you have said and I believe you are right in a number of issues you raised.

First, I gave kudos to the 'good' Bishop because of his stance on the rights of Homosexuals and homophobia. I believe firmly that every individual has the right of choice, this is a gift given to each person freely by God himself.

To enact a law that descriminates an individual just because of a choice the individual makes which obviously is not 'hurting' anyone else is in my view a very silly law and should be done away with.

I will support any individual who fights against any obvious injustice and for this I gave and still give kudos to the 'good' Bishop.

Secondly, you know very well that I am a Catholic and I ONLY accept the teaching authority of the church, hence I do not accept teachings that have to do with faith and morals from Bishop Tutu. I am against Homosexuality but I am not against Homosexuals just like I am against any other sin but not against the sinner.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by plaetton: 8:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
martinseme: by their fruit u shall know them.we are really in the end times.homosexuality is a terrible sin punishable by eternity in hell torment.let d wicked keep mocking themselves.

More of a terrible sin than slavery?
More of a sin than let's say, abortion a foetus resulting from heterosexual intimacy?
How about robbing people in the name of god, it that less of a terrible sin?
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by plaetton: 8:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
Aa
italo: Tutu, I think, is deliberately being vague.

For me, I am against homosexuality in all ramifications...

...but I am also against people taking laws into their hands and hurting them just because they are doing wrong.

God hates homosexuality but loves his children who happen go be homosexual.

Hate the sin but love the sinner...thats what The Church taught me.
And I guess the homo pedophile catholic priests seem to have missed that message, huh?
You church is being run by a home.sex.ual cabal that uses children for practice. Somehow along the line, they selectively forgot that good old sky daddy hates it so much.
Hhhhmmmm?
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by italo: 8:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
plaetton: Aa
And I guess the homo pedophile catholic priests seem to have missed that message, huh?
You church is being run by a home.sex.ual cabal that uses children for practice. Somehow along the line, they selectively forgot that good old sky daddy hates it so much.
Hhhhmmmm?

Dont vent your frustrations on me. I'm not the one who made your life bitter.

1 Like

Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by plaetton: 9:19pm On Jul 27, 2013
italo:

Dont vent your frustrations on me. I'm not the one who made your life bitter.
He he. If you want see bitterness, just go to church tomorrow and listen to the prayer-protests from gods children.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by italo: 9:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
plaetton:
He he. If you want see bitterness, just go to church tomorrow and listen to the prayer-protests from gods children.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Very funny!
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by EvilBrain1(m): 2:06am On Jul 29, 2013
Personally I hope there is a heaven. It means that all the crazy Christian fanatics and Moslim suicide bombers will be safely isolated in one far away place.

That way all the rational, peace-loving people can spend their afterlife resting in tranquility.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Nobody: 2:10am On Jul 29, 2013
I worship no god.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by tomzman: 9:09am On Jul 29, 2013
I pity this guy.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Kay17: 9:34am On Jul 29, 2013
I think the civil and political rights of muslims ought to be respected.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by ninja4life(m): 9:47am On Jul 29, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

he loves getting angry at his creations.
lol and he loves using men to fight his cause.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by ninja4life(m): 9:51am On Jul 29, 2013
plaetton:
lol if u want to see it in its peak go to core christ apostolic church cac or mountain of fire ministry mfm there u go see different kind of prayers.lol
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by UyiIredia(m): 10:31am On Jul 29, 2013
I have since come to the conclusion that, by virtue of their humanity all men have their conception of God which they worship. If it is shown baseless they either stubbornly keep to it, adopt another conception, or discard the notion of God. The statement attributed to the great bishop in this thread cements my stance.
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by Purist(m): 4:03pm On Jul 31, 2013
Uyi Iredia: I have since come to the conclusion that, by virtue of their humanity all men have their conception of God which they worship. If it is shown baseless they either stubbornly keep to it, adopt another conception, or discard the notion of God. The statement attributed to the great bishop in this thread cements my stance.

Finally, we agree on something. Absolutely spot on!
Re: I Will Not Worship A Homophobic God-archbishop Tutu by chuqudy(m): 2:42am On Sep 18, 2013
martinseme: by their fruit u shall know them.we are really in the end times.homosexuality is a terrible sin punishable by eternity in hell torment.let d wicked keep mocking themselves.

Just like any other sin.

(1) (Reply)

"Why Does God Allow Evil?" / Jesus, God,/ Allah Explained. See Where We Differ / "How Islam Creates Psychopaths"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.