Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,584 members, 7,837,209 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:00 PM

The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday (1052 Views)

19 Everyday Things We Never Knew Had A Name / 7 English Words Nigerians Use Everyday Which Don't Exist. / The Origin Of The Word Oyibo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 3:18pm On Jul 27, 2013
Hey guys! I created this thread specifically for those of us who love rummaging our dictionaries for new words.Those of us that are avid for adding more and more words to our special 'Vocabulary' List,those whom I refer to as 'The Word Geeks'.Please note that I'll be posting 'A' word per day,and whenever I do that I'll add denotations,connotations and derivatives of that word.Anyone who is interested can also do the same;Let's Take Lexicology to its Apotheosis.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 2:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
smiley
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 2:11pm On Sep 17, 2013
Contemporaneous/kom-tem-poureinius/ (Adjective)-(with sb/sth):Happening or existing at the same time.
Synonym:Contemporary.
Usage:How do we know the signature is contemporaneous with the document? Derivatives:Contemporaneously(adverb)
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Richiez(m): 2:17pm On Sep 17, 2013
Nice thread!
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 2:37pm On Sep 17, 2013
Richiez: Nice thread!
Thanks,I'd appreciate if you could add a word.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 9:36am On Sep 18, 2013
Sanctimonious/sanc-tee-moh-nee-uhs/(Adjective):Giving the impression that you feel you are better and more moral than other people.
Synonym:Self-Righteous
Derivatives:Sanctimoniously(Adverb),Sanctimoniousness(Noun).

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 10:13pm On Sep 19, 2013
Egocentric/e-go-sen-trik/(Adjective):Thinking only about yourself and not about what other people need or want.
Synonym:self-centred.
Usage:I've never seen anyone as egocentric as Samantha.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 6:14pm On Sep 21, 2013
Recidivist/ree-see-dee-veest/(Noun):A person who continues to commit crimes,and seems unable to stop even after being punished.
Usage:Most pickpockets are recidivists.
Derivatives:Recidivism(Noun)
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by infoscope(m): 6:34pm On Sep 21, 2013
I have come to understand over time that the only way to increase your vocabulary is to read good books and not to flip through pages of the dictionary. Nice thread anyway.

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Adrenaline123(m): 8:47pm On Sep 21, 2013
succedaneum
Pronunciation: /sʌksɪdeɪnɪəm/ noun (plural succedanea/-nɪə/)
a substitute, especially for a medicine or drug.
Derivatives
succedaneous; adjective

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by renaissance(m): 11:58pm On Sep 21, 2013
infoscope: I have come to understand over time that the only way to increase your vocabulary is to read good books and not to flip through pages of the dictionary. Nice thread anyway.
i diagree with dat.Dic shud be ur companion

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 6:27pm On Sep 22, 2013
Deputize/dep-yuu-tyz/(verb):Temporarily act on behalf of someone else. Usage:The vice president deputizes for the president when he is outside the country.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 6:55am On Sep 25, 2013
Ad-lib/ad-leeb/(Verb):To say something in a speech or a performance that you have not prepared or practised.
Synonym:Improvise
Usage:Brenda couldn't find her note so she had to ad-lib the speech.
(II) (noun):An uprepared remark or speech.
Usage:The speech was full of ad-libs.
(III) (Adjective & Adverb):Spoken without having been prepared.
Usage:She read an ad-lib speech.(Adjective)
He delivered the speech ad-lib.(Adverb)
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 7:05am On Sep 25, 2013
I'd really apprciate your comments and corrections.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 7:13am On Sep 25, 2013
Vitiate/Vee-she-eit/(Verb):To spoil or reduce the effect of something.
Synonym:Impair
Usage:Lack of requisite Infrastructures has vitiated learning in the Nigerian education sector.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Adrenaline123(m): 8:48pm On Oct 02, 2013
Shenanigan /shi-na-ni-gan/ - naughty; stubborn.

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 02, 2013
Doldrums/ The Doldrums; a period of depression or inactivity.
Usage; The doldrums caused by the ongoing strike is disturbing, to say the least.

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Caspian22(m): 10:30pm On Oct 02, 2013
Agboro: ah-gbo-roo
an area boy who terrorises people.
Usage: Omo dat guy na agboro so.

2 Likes

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 5:11am On Oct 03, 2013
Shufti/shof-ti/(Noun):A quick look at something.
Synonym:Glance
Usage:The soldiers took a shufti of the fortress before they attacked.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 5:19am On Oct 03, 2013
Slavish/Sla-veesh/(Noun):Following or copying somebody/something without having any original thought at all.
Usage:These days imitating celebrities in dressing has been considered slavish by many.
Derivatives:Slavishly (Adverb)
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 5:26am On Oct 03, 2013
Mirage/Me-radz/(Noun):
(1)An effect caused by hot air in deserts or on roads,that makes you think you can see something,such as water,which is not there.
(II)A hope or wish that you cannot make happen because it is not realistic.
Synonym:Illusion
Usage:His dream of becoming Africa's first Astronaut was a Mirage
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 10:58am On Oct 08, 2013
Paraphernalia/Pa-ra-f-nay-lia/(Noun):A large number of objects or personal possessions,especially the equipment that you need for a particular activity.
Usage:A kettle,a pot and all the paraphernalia for making tea will be needed.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 11:03am On Oct 08, 2013
Progeny/praw-dz-ni/(Noun):A person's children;the young of animals and plants.
Usage:He couldn't spell the word ' progeny '
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 3:44pm On Nov 23, 2013
Ire/eye-er/(Noun):Anger
Synonym:Wrath
Usage:Students are always careful not to invoke the Ire of their teachers.

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Nobody: 6:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
Wow.,this is indomitabely propitious,.i think we should invite hon. Patrick to this thread...lolz...
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 6:23pm On Nov 23, 2013
benbuks: Wow.,this is indomitabely propitious,.i think we should invite hon. Patrick to this thread...lolz...

We can.Please feel free to contribute new words.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Adrenaline123(m): 9:22pm On Nov 23, 2013
Egregious- Outstandingly bad; synonym == flagrant

1 Like

Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by GoGod(f): 9:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
Patience Jonathan needs to b followin ds thread.
Re: The Word Geek(s); Learn a New Word Everyday by Jaynim(m): 12:32pm On Dec 06, 2013
Tantamount/Tan-t-maunt/(AdJ):Having the same bad effect as something else.
Usage:In war,running away is mostly seen as Tantamount to accepting defeat.

(1) (Reply)

Park And Pack / Y Fagie Nasir ASUU Not Respoding To Calls On New Deal ,nigeria Tribune / Latest ASUU Strike News Upon Unn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.