Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,866 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage (1995 Views)

Gear Won't Select(auto) / Good Day, My Bmw 320i Won't Select Gears Only Go In Reverse Gear / Pls Help: My Golf 3 Auto Gearbox Won't Select Anymore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by mario2575: 6:24am On Jul 30, 2013
Please I have a question. I use a Honda 2003 V6 (EOD) and the gear has failed to change when accelerating. When I put the gear on reverse it doesn't engage and starts to make noise. The D light on the dashboard also blinks and indicate gear malfunction. Please what is the solution here? Can it be fixed or I would have to replace entirely? Please help
Re: EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:59am On Jul 30, 2013
mario2575: Please I have a question. I use a Honda 2003 V6 (EOD) and the gear has failed to change when accelerating. When I put the gear on reverse it doesn't engage and starts to make noise. The D light on the dashboard also blinks and indicate gear malfunction. Please what is the solution here? Can it be fixed or I would have to replace entirely? Please help

get the car scanned,flashing of D light means something is wrong
Re: EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by mario2575: 8:04am On Jul 30, 2013
Thank you for the response. I got it scanned and the error was detected as Gear malfunction. Now i was told the gear can be brought down and fixed but i want to be sure if it will be a wild goose chase and waste of money compared to buying a new Gear box.
ZIM DRILL:

get the car scanned,flashing of D light means something is wrong
Re: EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by ZIMDRILL(m): 8:55am On Jul 30, 2013
mario2575: Thank you for the response. I got it scanned and the error was detected as Gear malfunction. Now i was told the gear can be brought down and fixed but i want to be sure if it will be a wild goose chase and waste of money compared to buying a new Gear box.

WE need the code they got from the scan

what that there are fixing ? is it out or inside the gearbox many people are good with internal parts of the automatic gearbox hence many people replace it if the problem is inside the gearbox
Re: EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by mario2575: 9:34am On Jul 30, 2013
I'm not an expect at this but I think it said automatic transmition malfunction. 70-20.
Re: EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:02am On Jul 30, 2013
mario2575: I'm not an expect at this but I think it said automatic transmition malfunction. 70-20.

we need the atcual code go back to the person who scanned and get the code, that code will help us to lead you in write direction to solve your gearbox problem
Re: EOD Gear Won't Select On Motion And Reverse Makes Noice And Won't Engage by cardoctor(m): 7:56pm On Jul 30, 2013
mario2575: Please I have a question. I use a Honda 2003 V6 (EOD) and the gear has failed to change when accelerating. When I put the gear on reverse it doesn't engage and starts to make noise. The D light on the dashboard also blinks and indicate gear malfunction. Please what is the solution here? Can it be fixed or I would have to replace entirely? Please help

Honda automatic gearbox issues have become a reoccuring decimal to any Honda automatic car owner. Slow take off, sluggish acceleration, lack of kick down, loss of drive while in motion, lack of gear change, aggressive gear changes, high engine revs without power in drive just to name a few.

From my observation and the complaints made by some of our customers, these problems usually start from a gearbox oil change that was recommended by the mechanic who then uses the wrong type of ATF oil for the transmission. Honda recommends their own formila ATF-z1 for their gearboxes manufactured between 1998 to 2009 and upgraded to the ATF-Dw1 for gearboxes manufactured from 2010 upwards.

Using the wrong grade of ATF would almost certainly result in a failing transmission. Low grade ATF may not be able to handle the high temperature operations operations of a gearbox. Under very high temperatures, low grade oil loses its fluidity and may begin to boil causing loss of hydraulic functions by frothing or foaming.

Some remedies I have seen used by local mechanics is to further add engine oil to the gearbox in order to thicken the viscosity of the ATF. This in turn puts the pump under great stress as the thicker oil would require more effort from the pump in distributing the oil under high pressure as well as the oil filter which is usually embedded within the transmission gear train. (The removal and changing of all Honda transmission oil filter would require the removal of the gear box from the car and stripping down the gearbox)

The resulting consequence would be an imminent and extreme overheating of the transmission and components such as the friction plates and a rapid degradation of the wet clutch fibres hence the loss of drive, slipping clutch and rough gear changes. These may set up fault codes and flash the "grin" light on the dashboard.

Replacing the gearbox or a total overhaul by an expert would be the likely solution but before then, an inexperienced mechanic would Send you on a wild goose chase by suggesting the removal and servicing or outright replacement of shift solenoids on the outer casing of the gearbox. These solutions Don't last as its just a temporal remedy to a terminal issue.

We constantly repair these gearboxes and those of other makes to a very high standard with 99.9% success rate and we recommend that if you are having serious issues with your Honda gearbox, ensure that the appropriate procedures are followed.

(1) (Reply)

Nissan Maxima 1996 Stalled While Driving / Honda Accord For Sell (EOD) / Which Is A Better Option: 2003 Matrix Vs 2004 Corolla Vs 2004 Camry?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.