Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

ASUU STRIKE: Students Appeal To FG And Lecturers - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU STRIKE: Students Appeal To FG And Lecturers (693 Views)

Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers / ASUU STRIKE: Students Insist On Planned Protest Despite Police Presence / ASUU Strike - Students’ Peaceful Protest Turns Bloody In Delta (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

ASUU STRIKE: Students Appeal To FG And Lecturers by kzokul(m): 7:05am On Jul 31, 2013
ASUU strike is now four weeks old.

Students in Osun have called on the Federal Government and university lecturers, ASUU, to resolve the issues which led to the current strike by university lecturers.

Many of the students, who spoke with the News Agency of Nigeria, on Tuesday, enjoined both parties to bury the hatchet for peace to reign.

Adewale Adejuyigbe, a final year student of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, said the incessant strike by ASUU had elongated his stay in the university.

He said: “I am fed up with this strike action of ASUU.

“Each time they have one or two issues to settle with the Federal Government, strike action should not be the only option.

“In a democratic setting, there are many available means of expressing your grievances other than total paralysis of the system at the expense of the students.

“I believe our lecturers know that their job goes beyond normal service for payment, it is indeed a service to humanity because education remains the light of the society.’’

Another student of the same university, Toriola Ibidun, lamented the level of decadence in the educational system, saying the strike action would further aggravate the situation.

He said the Federal Government must be sensitive to the importance of the education sector, adding that all stakeholders must work for peace in the universities.

Moradeyo Edun, a first year student of the University of Ibadan, condemned ASUU’s strike option, describing it as “callous and mean.’’

She said: “Can’t these people change their strategy; it is high time they realised that strike action is adversely affecting the students; it is the students that suffer most, not the government.

“I am pleading with both ASUU and the Federal Government to quickly find a lasting solution to this strike and allow us to face the future squarely.’’

A retired Professor of History at the University of Ado-Ekiti, Olatunde Ikumapayi, said in a telephone interview that the educational system needed total overhauling.

“We cannot continue to pretend that all is well when indeed there is a serious problem at hand, it will be catastrophic if we allow the situation to continue like this.

“I believe ASUU has taken it upon itself to call the Federal Government to order and that is the only way we can achieve a pleasant system,’’ he said.

Nigerian University lecturers have been on strike for the past four weeks.
Re: ASUU STRIKE: Students Appeal To FG And Lecturers by ITbomb(m): 7:17am On Jul 31, 2013
The more I read about Nigerian students castigating ASUU the more I realize the depth of the rot in our educational system.
An educated mind is suppose to identify problems and find solutions, instead the Nigerian students are satisfy with overcrowded classrooms and ill-equipped labs and workshops, they just want to return there and count their years to graduation.
Just pathetic
Re: ASUU STRIKE: Students Appeal To FG And Lecturers by Chimezie198(m): 7:19am On Jul 31, 2013
* falls from palm tree*

(1) (Reply)

Nnamdi Azikwe Post Graduate Forms And The Prospectus 2013/2014 / Top Universities in the world / Unilorin Announces Resumption Dates For 2013/2014 Session

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.